Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a mellow A5 or F5 mandolin - music other than bluegra

Default Re: Looking for a mellow A5 or F5 mandolin - music other than blu

There's a Silverangel Social Group with some sound clips posted on a 'let's hear how they sound thread'. Mine is very close to those in tone.

I've found that GHS Silk and Bronze strings take some of the brightness out of an instrument. I used them for a while, then decided I preferred Elixirs.

A Weber Gallatin A oval-hole mandolin is a good consideration for quality tone, affordable price and leaning in the mellow direction.

I think the flatwound strings would be the best thing you could do to make an A5 or F5 like instrument more mellow, but, what you say you want in tone means round or oval hole instrument to me.
    Jim Richmond

With my octave mandolins I like to have the choice of selecting the one that suits the timbre and tone I
    would like to produce. I have had an oval and a f hole mandolin for that reason. If I am backing my partner on vocals,
    I like the sound of three finger chords on the bottom three strings to pitch the mandolin away from her soprano
    voice. The f hole has better projection in that instance.

Based on member's opinions here, it seems possible to create a good mellow tone with the right f hole mandolin set up with
    the right strings and played with the right pick

I want to correct an earlier post regarding Mike Black's mandolins. I wrote Steve Black #5 mandolin. It should have been Mike Black's #5 mandolin. I apologise for making that mistake. I suffer from mild typing dyslexia from time to time. If you want to find the mp3 he made playing his serial number#5 A5 mandolin, type in in Mike Black #5 mandolin in the search box.

Re: Peter Coombe comments ..I have one of his A-5 s and he's quite right .I think the care in selection of woods and the combination of woods is what sets his apart . Of course his craftmanship is key ! But you won't find any where else a mandolin made with Tasmanian Myrtle and Swiss Spruce.You do have enough for a deposit and then keep saving.

I really like the tone of my Silverangel Econo, which used is definitely in your budget, and, new, was also there the last time I checked Ken's site. I can really vary it's voice, ranging it from smooth/warm to a bit more bluegrassy (thinking PB strings and chopping) by changing from Sam Bushes (Monel) to J75s or the like. Its radiused board and larger frets make it really nice to play, as well. I have a Flatiron Pancake that I bought for oval hole purposes, and because they're just cool, but I feel my SA gives me almost equal sustain, more variety tonally, and it's easier to play. I really like the Flatiron, but until I get a new nut (I'm not a fan of its string spacing) I'll be playing the SA almost exclusively, and really not missing anything...
    Chuck