Thread: My LUIGI RICCA mandolin

giuseppe severini

Default Re: My LUIGI RICCA mandolin

I am sorry, this is NOT the picture of my Ricca mandolin, but the photo of a VEGA mandolin, Boston, I have recently restored for a friend.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice, Giuseppe. How does a guy in Sicily wind up with a couple US made bowlbacks? A lot of us are fans of Vega mandolins, and a few of us (Jim Garber and I, for two) are BIG fans of Ricca mandolins. We'd love to see some photos of yours.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

giuseppe severini

Well, I can explain you that I am in the USA since february 14, previously in Clifton, New Jersey, and now in Manhattan. In the meantime, while visiting friends, I met by chance one who had a Biggio&Martucci mandolin, then I bought on ebay a Ricca and now I am making a research on my origins, since Ricca is my mother surname! I will post soon photographs of these instruments, now visible on my facebook account, Giuseppe Severini.
    I am very happy you are fans of Ricca mandolins ! The one I have is not playable. I will leave it as it is and make a copy when I go back to Sicily. The Vega one, after repairing and restoring has a very nice voice.
    I f you have some news about Luigi Ricca please send me. I am trying to understand if he really was from Naples or from Sicily.
    Thank you
    Giuseppe

Giuseppe, I'll let my friend Jim fill you in a bit more on Luigi Ricca, as he has shared with us some old catalogs of his mandolins. Ricca had 'factories' in NYC and Brooklyn and did eventually switch over to building pianos and his sons carried on the business well into the 20th C. As you know, Ricca is not an uncommon name..Lots of Riccas up in Liguria where we have our summer house. My hunch is that Luigi is from down south, Napoli, or your way.

We'd be interested in hearing more about the Martucci mandolin as one of the cafe member is the great great grandson of Martucci and has some of his instruments. Apparently, Martucci worked for Weymann + sons building mandolins in Philadelphia before branching out on his own.

A few of us are fascinated with these early Italian mandolin makers in the US East Coast. It is great to have you join the conversation. We'd also love to learn more about the pre-war Catanese mandolins, Puglisi in particular. Some very nice looking work from them.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiccaCatalogCover.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	84683  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

giuseppe severini

When I will go back to Sicily I will send you the photos of I nice Puglisi Reale & figli, Catania 1912 I restored Four months ago.
    Nowadays is becoming more and more difficult to find this instruments once very usual in Sicily. And this is obvious... as time passes by ...
    Anyway, I am very happy having met you
    Giuseppe

Mick: Giuseppe and I have been in conversation for a week or so already. I thought he would attend Carlo's workshop but I guess that did not work out.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Carpe Mandolinium

Benvenuto, Beppe!

== John ==
    == JOHN ==

Music washes away from the soul the dust of every day life.

--Berthold Auerbach

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Mick: Giuseppe and I have been in conversation for a week or so already. I thought he would attend Carlo's workshop but I guess that did not work out.
    That would have been great, Jim! Meeting mandolinistas from Italy is always a treat. (And, Giuseppe, we Southerners have to stick together) No offense, Jim, you strike me as down-south at heart-which is why you're such a good friend. Or maybe it is my Yankee kin?

Anyhow, Giuseppe, your link to the Martucci mandolin got scrambled on your other post. Forse si potrebbe provare a inviarlo di nuovo? Si prega di perdonare il mio cattivo uso della vostra lingua. Pratico spesso, ma fanno pochi progressi.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

giuseppe severini

I am sorry, Now I try again
    G.

Here is some biography info on Ricca. This was from a book on piano history. he was born in Napoli in 1853.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

giuseppe severini

Thank you very much Jim