Thread: My Kentucky 250s

Post My Kentucky 250s

This is my Kentucky 250s that I bought several years ago. I wish I knew a year on it. I played it for about a year, and then gave up on it because the action was so bad that it was virtually unplayable. Later I paid a local luthier $70 to set it up for me and now it has great action. I think it has an incredible tone. I got it for around $200 new on closeout at musician's friend.

I hadn't played much until this winter when I found Thile's bach video on youtube. That inspired me to put more effort into it and I have learned several songs since December via youtube and this site in the song-a-week group videos.

I think it's really a great instrument. Great tone, and pretty easy on the eyes. I'd like to have figured wood and such, but the sound makes me forget all that. Anyway, here she is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ketucky250s.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	84698

Default Re: My Kentucky 250s

Kentucky makes some nice instruments at very competitive prices. I myself have a Kentucky Army/Navy model which I dearly love. I think it competes favorable with much higher priced models that I've heard.

Enjoy your mandolin adventure. You are further living proof of the importance of a good set-up on mandolins. That can make you or break you.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

When it comes right down to it, sound and playability are what counts. If you're only into this for $270 and have a mandolin you love, you're a lucky guy. Don't let anyone tell you "need" anything better (aka more expensive).
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

It definitely passes the eye test!