Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uke decision- no mando content

OK- I've got the bug. I watched the video too many times of "While my guitar gently weeps" played by the extremely talented young man, Jake (I believe, and I really should remember his name completely).

So- I thought, "oh, I'll build one." Wrong. I don't have the time to do it. It would be less expensive to buy one of reasonably adequate quality until I decide if I really want to get into this seriously. And I don't want to spend $500 on one, if I can help it. Preferably with a spruce, not koa, top.

I've hunted websites. Kamaka's are beautiful. More money than I want to spend right now on something I don't know if I'll play that much. There's a lot of other really georgeous things that cost even more. If I was going to buy one of those, I might as well build it.

So- HELP! Do any of you mandophiles own a uke? I'm sure you do. I'm thinking concert or tenor. Opinions? Can you recommend something for about $300?

I know this probably sounds silly coming from a builder, but I would appreciate any helpful replies. Thanks in advance.

Dale

The place to ask is at the Flea Market Music discussion board. #

Lots of uke players like the Fluke and Flea ukes that Flea Market sells. #They're cheap, have good intonation, and sound pleasant. #Purists cringe at their unconventional looks and construction (plastic back a la Ovation, molded plastic fretboard and frets, rosewood fretboard is an extra cost option). #

The hot ticket in new all-wood ukes seems to be the Bushman Jenny. #Kind of the Eastman of ukes (i.e. made in China to a higher standard than the cheap Hilo's and Johnson's).

Gotta like their promotional poster, anyway!

I have a very nice KoAloha concert scale uke that I won (!) as a raffle prize at last year's Uke Fest West in Santa Cruz. #It has gone unplayed as I prefer my Ukebrand concert. #There's a pic in this thread (Groupings, page 8). #I really should sell it off, PM me if you are at all interested.

(This space available)

I should add, Jake plays mostly a tenor uke. Tin Pan Alley fans stick to the soprano, which was the common instrument in the '20's. I like the concert scale uke, which is tuned as a soprano, but just a bit longer scale (and about the same scale length as a mando).
    (This space available)

That KoAloha concert must have been a fine surprise. From what I've seen they're top shelf.
    I will definitely be checking out the Bushman Jenny stuff. I love ukes more already.

Dale, it's Jake Shimabukuro (Japanese surname), if you practice a bit, it's actually quite easy to say... Repeat after me: Shee-Ma-Boo-Koo-Roh

Dale check out Tangi Black's ukuleles.
    http://www.tangiukuleles.com/

He is building some unreal ukes. I have a pretty plain but solidly built all Koa soprano uke. It plays like butter and has a very mellow sound. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and they were VERY reasonable back then.

I first bought a HiLo uke from Guitar Center and it is such a piece of junk I won't waste bandwith describing it.

Check out Tanji's violin shaped ukuleles, I really like them. I am so tempted to get one.

Dale I would have thought you could just whip one out on your ShopBot!

Elderly has a great selection of ukes. Check out their web site.

For an unconventional take on the ukulele, check out Joe Todaro's Akulele page at http://www.akulele.com/ . His instruments are built in South America like charangos, with neck and body carved out from a single block of wood. I own one of these (the Sweetheart uke pictured on his page) and it is a very good quality instrument,and pretty reasonably priced, too.

Another good source of ukes is:

Hoosier Made Ukes

These may be more than you are willing to go. I like the Bushman Jenny as a lower=priced, quality uke. Might have to check those out. (My current uke is a Johnson soprano.)
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Well, thanks all! I've looked at all this new info, which I was completely unaware of. Right now, I think I may be leaning toward the Bushman. But- Concert or Tenor? Or Soprano? So many decisions. So little time. I may have to start building the little buggers after all. Then I can have one of each...........

ShopBot a uke? very funny, Jim. Aloha!

When I saw Billiam's posted pic, the first thing that popped into my head is "I gotta get me one of those".

Something to look at and think about:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/main/333.cfm

Obviously cheaper than you're thinking; a slap together kit. But I suspect a lot of the value is in how carefully it is assembled and how well it is finished and you have a leg up there.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

So- this morning I ordered a Bushman Jenny. At first I was going to go with a tenor, but went with a concert instead. Their luthier/ tech person is wonderful to talk to. They get their instruments in unfinished. He finishes them and puts a bone nut and saddle on them, and does the setup. He even said he'd give me the special "Hawaiian" finish for nothing extra- he puts something (who knows what this is) that makes the finish smell like coconuts and such. Plus I get the poster! I might even get it by the weekend. Pity my wife. As if mandolin isn't enough, now this! Thanks everyone for your help.

Good move, I think. I am contemplating a concert (same tuning as soprano but slightly larger) and may well go for quality while I'm at it. Let us know what you think when you get it.
    Gary Blanchard

The worst thing is, every time you take it out to play, people ask you if that's some kind of mandolin.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I'd recommend the Flea soprano uke. I love mine and can take it anywhere. It's cheap but sounds and plays great. After playing uke for awhile, I'm almost positive George Harrison composed "Here Comes the Sun" on his uke! Lots of fun.

Quite possible, as George was a uke fan.
    Gary Blanchard

I have messed around with one that belongs to one of my kids some recently, but it really isn't clicking for me. All the strings are close together in pitch and in an odd order. I do understand the order for strumming - chords begin and end with a high note. I think a bari uke strung to tune like an OM would be big fun. I ended up cancelling the perpetually backordered cheap soprano at M123 while I mull it over more.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

I've played guitar for years and the chords are basically the same, so that helps, though a D chord on guitar is not a D chord on uke, it is a G chord. It can be tough getting all my fingers on the fretboard, sometimes, but it is fun. I do hope the concert size makes it just a little easier.
    Gary Blanchard

Is there a resource like the cafe for the ukulele? Would make a nice side read... It's a cool instrument

glauber- now that is pretty funny. Nah, it's still a little guitar.

Eric Hansen

Dale,
    #I recommend Mele Ukulele. #I've got 2: a concert and a 6 string tenor. #they are reasonably priced and the quality is very good. #and let me second the Flea Market Music site. #Jim Beloff over there runs a good ship. and his Flea anfd FLuke Ukes are very good too! #unconventional, but cheap and sound great! soon you will be infected UAS. good luck
    Eric H

Aloha a hui hou
    mandolin no ka 'oi

Registered Person

Dale have fun with it. #I'm going the same route as you, and I'll second the Flea Market Music site, lots of good info. # I'm partial to the Martin Style o's and the Favilla, but haven't yet got around to actually bidding on one. #Have not heard good things about the new Martin SO's, but the older O's are still affordable, between 3 and 450. #Kamaka's are, from what I understand, like the Gibson of the #ukele world, consistant (c'mon, no arguments, you know what I mean) and the Favillas and Martins are pretty much just great instruments, this is what I hear, not what I know.

We have the baritone uke thing going on at our house, big time.
    Each member of our family has one... and we're thinking about getting a couple more. They are addictive also...

The baritone uke was recommended for our son when he was 5 since the strings are nylon and don't take much pressure.
    It is easy to switch back and forth from guitar... a plus for his future... and a nod to we parents' past.
    A fun instrument for all.

I also enjoy the Flea Market Music site! A wealth of information is available there.

I enjoy the baritone uke... but it is not a deep, complex adoration that I have for the mandolin. Mandolins require commitment.... or maybe, I'm just 'commitable' about my mandolins.
    HarmonyRexy

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think the uke is a substitute for the mando. God help me if that's true! No, it's going to be a fun thing. As to the different brands, sizes- I had to make a decision and this isn't a $500, let alone a $5K to $10K decision. This is going to be fun! I doubt it will take that much time away from playing my mandos, just add a new dimension that I've not experienced before.

By the way, a friend of mine has a Martin soprano. He played it over the phone a couple nights ago and I almost got goose bumps. Just way cool.

So I figure what will happen is that there will be a development of UAS. On of each size, and then comes one from each builder, unless I gear up and start making them myself. I do have some koa from the 70's. Not enough unless I start cutting my desk and dining room table and two hutches apart- all solid koa, when it was still relatively inexpensive (man, were we as humans doing something stupid).

To stay on topic, I'll make a post after my new little friend comes.

Dang, I have a fiddle that I'd have painted some palm trees on for you. Hey, that'd be kinda cool...
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...