Thread: DIABINHO MALUCO - D. Lora, D. Maia A. Lora

Default DIABINHO MALUCO - D. Lora, D. Maia A. Lora

Holy smokes. Check out this one.. looking to next months workshop with Dudu again.Guess I'll have to brush up on getting this one back up to speed...(G)

Default Re: DIABINHO MALUCO - D. Lora, D. Maia A. Lora

That is one of my faves and I have been playing it for some time, trying to keep up with the tune (not at warp speed). I love of Dudu's improvisations on the melody.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pretty cool. And at a surprisingly reasonable pace, but it still sounds compelling.

Most people start it as fast as they can play it and then speed up from there.

Nice. +1 on Dudu's improvisation. Shades of Jacob!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

After two workshops with Dudu, I can assuredly say that he channels Jacob in some ways. He listens intently and analyzes Jacob's ornaments, rhythmic techniques, improvising etc. at the molecular level.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've been having a go at this tune, but I have very little experience of choro music, so it all comes out sounding very bluegrassy. I think I know what I need to do to fix it, but, as I don't know anyone who plays this stuff, it would really help to have a backing track, even if it was just some pandeiro playing, by someone who really understands the rhythms, and ideally about the speed I'm playing it in this video. So let me know if you or anyone you know would be kind enough to do it. I'd be happy to pay for your time.

I know I should get out and go to these workshops and all that, and I'd love to, but with my lifestyle and workload, that just isn't going to happen.

David: That sounded excellent to me. I have been working and playing with that tune for quite a few months now. It is a great one and lots of fun. The only thing I would say (and I am certainly no expert) is that you could work some more syncopation into it. A lot of the phrases slide around across bar lines and could come in earlier or later. The best thing is to listen critically to as many version as you can and certainly go back to Jacob, the gold standard. You just have to get it in your head what the players are doing. Even if a bandolimist plays the same notes each time, there will subtle variations in rhythm each time through the tune.

You are right that playing with someone who is well-versed in these rhythms make a difference. I have yet to do that either tho listening to those three guys above made me aware of the interchange -- there are multiple levele of syncopation happening all over the place.

BTW I am pretty sure that Dudu will do Skype lessons.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks Jim, that's very good advice, and right on about the syncopation. I know what you mean about phrases sliding around across bar lines, that's where I thought a good backing track would help me to work on some of those moves. I'm taking lessons with Mike Marshall actually, and he suggested trying to play with a good pandeiro player to help absorb the rhythms - they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in Georgia, though.

Man, I will be right over. I have practically no one nearby to play with either, tho there are a few folks down in New York City. I love this music and seeing those guys play-- I was at the concert where that video was shot -- is amazing.

Do you have any of these books? They have play-along CDs tho possibly not of Diabinho but tehre are other tunes. I have the first one but not the other two.

TOCANDO COM JACOB

CLASSICS OF THE BRAZILIAN CHORO, 1 by Jacob do Bandolim

CLASSICS OF THE BRAZILIAN CHORO (YOU ARE THE SOLOIST), 2 by Jacob do Bandolim

More info and play lists for the last two books here:

Jacob Book 1

Jacob Book 2

Neither has Diabinho but there are other good tunes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

In our NYC choro workshop with Dudu we spent some good time deconstructing a party jam selection of Jacob playing Vibrações -- talk about slipping and sliding thru the bar lines. Yikes!!

I think that is the heart of Brazilian soul music.

BTW, David, what mandolin are you playing? It sounds quite nice.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Apr-13-2012 at 2:15pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the book recommendations Jim, I will definitely give them a try, it would be great to have the play along tracks to work with. The workshop with Dudu must have been a lot of fun. My mandolin is a Silverangel, made by Ken Ratcliff just this year, and I've been very pleased with it, it has a pretty cool sound.

Hey David, I'm just back home after a night with Dudu and the rest of the crowd here at the Choro workshop in Port Townsend. A great night of choru at the clubs. Just waiting for the ibuprofen and melatonin to kick in and I'll head to bed.

Anyway, I would start with the Jacob book and play along. This is a treasure trove of the real stuff, with his band multi tracked in the studio. While it doesn't have D.M. it will give you a pretty good feel for the groove. Dudu recommended again to day that Jacob is the gold standard for us on mandolin.

I have some pandiero backing tracks I found on a disk from Apple for Garage Band. It has one track that actually works, and our little weekly band used it in a loop to back us until we had the wonderful Michelle Burr join us on pandeiro. I'll try and dig out the disk.

I would also consider spending the money on web lessons with dudu. I took them and his internet speed out of Brazilia is excellent. It was really like being there. Invest in a good camera, they are cheap. There are a bunch of lessons of his on his web site, and he can then fill you in on the foundational work you need to be successful.

Hope to see you at either the Mandolin Symposium or here next year. It has been an exceptional week of choro. Don't worry about your mandolin. Lots of people like Mike Marshall don't need a bandolim (G). It's nice but not necessary. Just memorize the tunes, and let Dudu teach you the stylistic idiom. You might consider taking latin percussion lessons for a while from a local school if there is one down there in GA. That would help get that clave beats down.

The disk I mentioned is iDrum. From Apple. Not sure if it's still in print.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Thanks for the book recommendations Jim, I will definitely give them a try, it would be great to have the play along tracks to work with. The workshop with Dudu must have been a lot of fun. My mandolin is a Silverangel, made by Ken Ratcliff just this year, and I've been very pleased with it, it has a pretty cool sound.

Thanks very much for all the helpful advice Alb.