Thread: blueridge/goldtone reviews...

Default blueridge/goldtone reviews...

I've about given up on getting a vintage TG (in my price range). Every lead I've tried on the web has resulted in a "sorry, we sold that months/years ago. Therefore I'm going to have to go the route of the new built instrument.

I was able to track down a Gold Tone 18 tenor and was *really* enchanted with the sound; it was full and solid but I wasn't able to go over my 500 buck budget to buy it.

Does anyone have a solid rec as to the blueridge 40/60 vs the gold tone 10/18, pref at super discount? I am champing at the bit to get started already.

germano
    _____
    Television is very educational. Every time someone turns it on I go to another room and read a book. .....Groucho Marx

Default Re: blueridge/goldtone reviews...

Theres a nice Silvertone with hardcase on Ebay ending soon. Its ar about $100 + shipping. I'd buy it but I just bought a Blueridge for my girlfriend. Plus I have another mandolin I'm watching.

Or look in the Classifieds on this site...

Thank you, FloridaCracker but perhaps I'm too different from the usual mix of internet shoppers. I have my rules and some 'stores' have theirs.

I buy practically everything, short of tp, via web. However, I steer clear of all that is Ebay and/or Paypal. They have one restriction that I can't live with--must ship to credit card address. The area I'm living (and will probably live here to the end) has changed enough that package delivery is not guaranteed. Several packages of neighbors have mysteriously gone missing. In some cases a scribbled signature by a 'neighbor' who allegedly signed for the package but suddenly 'didn't sign anything' and didn't have the package, was the case. Not everybody experiences such things but, let's face it, the world--it is a changin'.

I have all my purchases delivered to my job site, a hotel, just a mere mile from my home. 24/7 front desk service guaranteed. Packages are safe being delivered there but the Ebay/Paypal sellers won't deliver there. I've ordered two tenors lately and bumped up against this inane rule.

My feeling is that my rule(s) trump any seller's especially since I have such a good reason. I'll have to wait for a 'Personal For Sale' ad covers my tenor desire or just go to a local store and purchase same. Fiddler's Green in Austin has the Blueridge 40 tenor with case for under 500. I'll probably end up getting it. I was just looking for anybody's personal recommendation as to the difference between the GoldTone and Blueridge lower priced model(s).

Thanks again for your reply.

germano
    _____
    Television is very educational. Every time someone turns it on I go to another room and read a book. .....Groucho Marx

Musicians Friend sold me my girlfriends Br-40T. It arrives today. $369 shipped. And I hate paypal. I use my checking and can ship wherever I want. Ebay is a pain though. I have online purchases shipped to where I work so I always get them. I once bought a blackpowder gun and supplies in the mail. I came home and found the box on my neighbor's doorstep. A pistol. :-(

Blueridge-40T vs. Gold Tone TG-18

I do own both.

both strung with D'Addario Tenor Guitar 80/20 Bronze, .010 - .032, J66
    both tuned CGDA

40T has gloss finish, TG-18 has matte finish
    40T neck profile is a little more V shaped than the TG-18 which is more shallow U shaped
    TG-18 has a larger body than the 40T with more box between the bridge and end pin
    40T has more treble "sparkle"
    TG-18 has less, but more bass "boom"
    Both have good projection and nice sustain
    overall volume of both is pretty much the same

the smaller bodied 40T is more comfortable to play seated without a strap

I prefer CGDA tuning which takes advantage of the sound of the upper register.
    This also provides a voicing that augments playing with a six-string guitar very well.

I find myself playing the Blueridge more than the Gold Tone, probably because it has more treble response.

I have been tempted to tune the Gold Tone to octave mando GDAE.

If I had to chose just one, the Blueridge BR-40T would be the keeper.

Thank you Jacob for exactly the review I was hoping for. Today, I experienced both 40 and 18 at the same shop and could compare. You are perfectly correct about the treble/bass tones. For MY money (ONLY), the 40 sounded the best overall, the price was cheaper by over a hundred bucks and the size of the instrument (narrower waist and smaller overall) won me over.

Now the decision is even more complicated. Should I spring for a 60 or 70 Blueridge or settle on the 40? The main difference being wood composition and slight sound differences. 'Wish I could try or at least hear all three at the same time but I guess I'll just have to let my wallet decide for me. At my age, old, this is a major purchase that will last me all of my days so I might as well get the best I can affored at the moment.

Thanks again for the review.

germano
    _____
    Last edited by germano; Apr-04-2012 at 9:15pm. Reason: word change a to or

Aren't all the backs and sides laminate on the Blueridge (and Gold Tone for that matter), so I don't think you would hear a lot of difference between the various woods? I suppose they might use a better spruce top for the higher numbered models. Looks are also important too, so that could be a consideration.

Good luck in whatever you choose. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Blog Entries

Just an FYI...
    My BR-40T sounds so good, I would never consider upgrading to the 60 or 70.
    I wouldn't even trade mine even-up for a new 60 or 70.
    Maybe I just got an exceptional one, but it impresses me a little more every time I play it.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

I saw no advantage in opting for the 60 or 70 over the 40.
    Any tonal difference between the 40's mahogany (laminate) and the 60's & 70's rosewood (laminate) would most probably have no real benefit for tenor guitar tuning.
    The rosewood might add slightly more bottom to a six string guitar.

The 40 and the 60 look identical with the exception of different shades for the back and sides.
    IMHO, the 70 is a little overdone. A bit too flashy for my taste.

Blueridge tenor guitars
    Last edited by Jacob; Apr-05-2012 at 9:30am.

The 40T we got yesterday sounds beautiful. Couldnt be happier with the purchase!
    Unlike the mandolins I've bought this came 100% ready to go out of the box.

The Access Stage-One 3/4-Size Acoustic Guitar Gigbag is a perfect fit for the Blueridge tenor guitars. (NFI)
    Last edited by Jacob; Apr-05-2012 at 11:12am.