Thread: Monroe Books...

Default Monroe Books...

I just finished Can't You Hear Me Callin' by Richard D. Smith. I found it interesting but a little uneven in the writing department. I was surprised there wasn't any more detail/discussion of the harrassment and vandalism episodes that seem to have culminated in the famous fireplace poker incident. Based on some posts I've read here, I thought a little more was definitively known as far as who was behind all that, but maybe it's mostly speculation.

I'd like to read some other Monroe history/biography and I'm looking for recommendations. I've got the Tom Ewing "reader" on my list as well as the books by Bob Black and Gene Lowinger. Are there others...or some I might want to avoid? Thanks.

Default Re: Monroe Books...

Neil Rosenberg's book is encyclopedic.
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/search?index...rds=0252072456

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

Try "Bossmen" if you can find it. It's out of print, but can be found used on sites like amazon for a reasonable price. I found the Kenny Baker quote in my signature in this book, and there are many more gems to be found there.
    Last edited by Marty Henrickson; Apr-04-2012 at 7:35pm. Reason: spelling, etc.
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Neil Rosenberg's book is encyclopedic.
    http://www.amazon.ca/gp/search?index...rds=0252072456
    Thanks. I've been looking at that one as well. But how much is CDN$26.00 in real money?

Thanks Marty, I'll look for that one too.

Ditto on Bossmen. You'll get some insight on Muddy Waters from that one, too.

I liked Smith's book better than many folks did, apparently, and didn't find it as disrespectful as some Monroe acolytes seemed to, either. I think that Ewing's Bill Monroe Reader is probably the single best and most-balanced collection about Monroe.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Ditto on Bossmen. You'll get some insight on Muddy Waters from that one, too.

I liked Smith's book better than many folks did, apparently, and didn't find it as disrespectful as some Monroe acolytes seemed to, either. I think that Ewing's Bill Monroe Reader is probably the single best and most-balanced collection about Monroe.
    I didn't find Smith's book to be particularly disrespectful, although he did include a couple of bits that weren't really worthy of discussion (IMO). I guess that's what sells these days. The only reason I started with it was because I was going out of town and didn't have time to order a real book. It was the only Bill Monroe title I could find on short notice that was available as an ebook.

My advice - read 'em all. I have the 3 books mentioned & the one by Gene Lowinger, " I Hear a Voice Calling" as well. All are well worth reading & each offers some things that the others don't.
    http://youtu.be/El6pU_YSoWE Gene Lowinger on Fiddle with Bill Monroe. He was replaced by Richard Greene shortly before Bill & the boys came over to the UK in '66,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Bob Black's book Come Hither To Go Yonder is a good read too!

EDIT: D'oh! You mentioned you had it. Sorry!
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

I really liked Bob Blacks book. Butch Robbin's book is good also, but Bob;s book seemed on a more human level.
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff May View Post
    how much is CDN$26.00 in real money?
    Almost exactly the same in US dollars, according to http://www.xe.com/ - 26.00 CAD = 26.1705 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy View Post
    Almost exactly the same in US dollars, according to http://www.xe.com/ - 26.00 CAD = 26.1705 USD.
    Yes, thanks for that. I was joking. I don't live very far from the border. I frequently get Canadian coins in my change.

But then again, it only cost me $20.60 on the Amazon U.S. site.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and especially the link to numerous recommendations on the Cafe home page.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Hi All,
    I'm a little lost on the seeming deep dislike of Smith's book. My training, I suppose you'd call it, is in history, and I have a special interest in biography. If anything, Smith's book is a little TOO even handed - story after story seems to peter out a bit - almost as if he was worried about offending someone. I thought it very well researched - he admits in his introduction that he didn't interview every living Blue Grass Boy, but I never felt there was a gaping hole in his research. I think it stands with biographies of other performers - Escott's fo Hank Williams, for example, lapses into 'downhome, folksy talk' which doesn't always ring true: but it is an excellent biography nonetheless.

I'm now inclined to ask, though I probably wont' get a response - who is thought to be responsible for the break-in and vandalism?

Since Smith came to my house to interview me I can attest to that he did do quite a bit of research on Monroe. He visited courthouses and gravesites. He was able to interview quite a few of the older bluegrass boys before they died. Many stories would not have been told out of respect while Monroe was still living. Same goes for the break-in. Those close to him felt if Monroe didn't feel the need to point a finger why should others. I can say you can easily figure it out this was the dirty deed of a "woman scorned" who knew Monroe's daily schedule and Monroe scorned quite a few of them over this lifetime. Other bluegrass boys have found many errors in Smiths book. I know there is another biography in the works by a longtime former bluegrass boy that continues to do research.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Smile Re: Monroe Books...

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Same goes for the break-in. Those close to him felt if Monroe didn't feel the need to point a finger why should others. I can say you can easily figure it out this was the dirty deed of a "woman scorned" who knew Monroe's daily schedule and Monroe scorned quite a few of them over this lifetime.
    thanks for that; I figured it was most likely a 'woman scorned' - I'm not really interested in which one... I thought thsough that if there was a particular figure which popular belief pointed to, who adn why. I suppose the ex-wife might be a suspect, but I don't know... as you said, if Monroe didn't point fingers, why should I?

Other bluegrass boys have found many errors in Smiths book. I know there is another biography in the works by a longtime former bluegrass boy that continues to do research.

Ah, ok. I'll look forward to that one. the incredible thing is of course that Monroe was such a mess of contradictions that errors are inevitable. This things usually work best too when the subject has been dead a while - the stories start to come out... and some of those contradictions might get resolved.