Thread: Recommendations for Practice TIps or DVDs to Improve Skills

Default Recommendations for Practice TIps or DVDs to Improve Skills

I just sunk some money into a couple mandos so it's time to get serious about improving my skills. I am a self-taught fiddler/mando player and don't get out to many jams so I probably have developed some bad habits or incorrect techniques. Even though I have picked on mandos for over 10 years (guitar for over 30) but I am frustrated by the sloppy sound I get when my left fingers are not perfectly in synch with my picking hand (same frustration with fingers and the fiddle bow).

Does anyone have any recommendations for practicing tips or DVD's (or youtube videos?) that will help me get a cleaner sound? OK, I know...use a metronome...any other advice? I would also hope the DVD would contain intermediate++ material and techniques to work on.

Default Re: Recommendations for Practice TIps or DVDs to Improve Skills

The most basic advice to work on LH/RH sync is to slow down the tempos to the point where you can play consistently in sync. Then practice at that speed and gradually (over the course of weeks/months) work your way back up to faster speeds, keeping it clean at all times.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Blog Entries

Getting together with a mandolin teacher for a few lessons helped me a lot. Getting called on every little bit of slop was an eye opener - recording yourself can help this way, but less than a real person.

I also improved how I learn from my half dozen lessons.

I like my books and videos, but am going back for more lessons soon as I got noticeably better in just a few months from that. For what you talk of, a couple lessons might more quickly identify what you need to work on.

My instructor quickly ID'ed my major failings, something a book or DVD never did. I had a good instructor, tis true.

Thanks for the suggestions. Slowing down doesn't sound like fun so I know it must be the right remedy. I'll also be looking to get a few lessons.