Thread: Notes in g lick

A DEAD HEAD

Default Notes in g lick

When making up different licks,what notes do you use to make it up,like in g-d-c-e
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Default Re: Notes in g lick

Denny, the question is too broad. I can't answer as to what notes I use without some context. You can make up licks using the notes of the major scale, the major pentatonic scale, the minor pentatonic scale and any modal scale you want. It depends on the sound you are going for. For bluegrass, I would mostly use the major and major pentatonic scale for licks.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

The melody is always a good place to start!

You might be reading "solo" into the OP. DENNY7P wants to know how to make up a lick. It's a different animal from playing an instrumental break in a song, wherein starting with the melody is a good idea. I don't get that the question is even about a given song. I could be wrong.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY7P View Post
    When making up different licks,what notes do you use to make it up,like in g-d-c-e
    Hi Denny:
    For a Bluesy lick, the chord tones in the 7 chord of the key, plus the flattened 3rd, give you a group of notes to choose from that sound very good together...
    So in G, you'd have G, B, D, & F (the notes in G7), plus the flattened 3rd Bb.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

A DEAD HEAD

Are you saying take 4 finger cord,and use the note out of that,plus another one to make it sound good.
    Some people know a little about
    about a lot of things,i would rather
    know a lot about the little things
    BORN AGAIN CUB FAN

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Broyles View Post
    You might be reading "solo" into the OP. DENNY7P wants to know how to make up a lick. It's a different animal from playing an instrumental break in a song, wherein starting with the melody is a good idea. I don't get that the question is even about a given song. I could be wrong.
    OK, I got you. But still the melody should probably be considered in coming up with an appropriate backup or fill lick to support the song. Random stock licks in the right key usually aren't good enough.

Right. But he wanted to know how to make up a lick, not support a song. No mention of using the lick in a song, just how to make up a lick.

I'd suggest the the op listen to a song and he can hear what a lick sounds like and then, perish the thought, actually try to recreate it. If he doesn't hit the exact notes, there will be still be a lick there.

If you don't get enough ideas from these guys(doubtful) take a look in the Resources link(upper left corner of Home page) of this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge there, enough to bury you for years if you are not careful.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.