Thread: shifting/changing fingers for double stops

Default shifting/changing fingers for double stops

I have a question about which fingers to use and knowing that there is no 'right' answer, I quess i would like to hear what other folks do, and what would they recommend.

Here it goes:
    If you are playing the double stop D-B, frets 5-9 on the A and D strings, and then an eighth note of E-C, frets 7-10 and then back to D-B. Would you use the same fingers, index and ring, and shift them up and back down or just slide the ring finger up to the C (10th fret D string) and use the middle finger to fret the E (7th fret A string)?

Thanks
    Yossi
    "Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from every man" Ethics of the Fathers

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default Re: shifting/changing fingers for double stops

5-9 index/ring > 7-10 middle/pinky > 5-9 index/ring

I would use index/ring on 5-9 and middle/pinkie on 7-10 as Niles advises above and follow it up (or substitute) with index/ring on 5-7 (D, B) of the A and E strings and middle/ring on the 7-8 (E, C) of the A and E strings; simply inverting the interval.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Blog Entries

I would use the same fingers up and back. There are other (and perhaps better) things, as pointed out, but for some reason in the heat of the moment I don't remember them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    5-9 index/ring > 7-10 middle/pinky > 5-9 index/ring
    Niles nails it, as usual. Lots of players would play both double-stops with fingers 1 and 3, sliding when necessary, but if you can build the left hand dexterity to finger this way it's more economical and smoother.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

The sound of the long slide caused by using same fingers may be something you want at times. Perhaps best to play it many different ways and see how they sound so you have some options.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Agree with all said above.

This question reminds me of one in the old MWN beginner's column authored by Mike Marshall. The guy asked if it's better to play a fret 7-9-11-12 ascent with all four fingers or by getting the last 2 notes with the ring finger. Mike suggested to learn both.

Blog Entries

Many things seem to come down to "practical realities in the field". I find I like the sound of a double stop gliss (slide), but I started doing it because I was a little disoriented up the neck and wasn't sure I could find my way if I took my fingers off. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Many things seem to come down to "practical realities in the field". I find I like the sound of a double stop gliss (slide), but I started doing it because I was a little disoriented up the neck and wasn't sure I could find my way if I took my fingers off. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
    If you were going from a 9-5 to a 10-7 doublestop and back again, there's no reason to lift the fingers off 9-5 to get disoriented. I found myself a new exercise for a few weeks given how poor I am at doing this cleanly [I notice after trying it].

Having said that, I also very much enjoy the slide too. If there's enough time to and the song allows, it's a great way to add expressiveness. If the song is running like the Old 97, the more mechanical adding-fingers approach is the only way I can keep up.

Thanks everyone for your advice/comments/suggestions.
    I've started working on using my middle and pinkie (it's only for an eighth note and then back to the previous double stop) I mean, the fingers are right there just waiting for something to do! Needs work though to get it clean.
    Bring on the slides when we have longer notes to play.

Yossi
    "Ben Zoma said: Who is wise? He who learns from every man" Ethics of the Fathers