Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons

Default Lessons

I am very excited. Recently I was pointed to the local bluegrass association. I found instructors on there and followed some links. I wrote one instructor and I am going to start mid April with him. John Reischman lives in my area. my jaw dropped. This is going to be cool.

Los Angeles, CA... Formerly Westchester, NY

Default Re: Lessons

so because of your post, i checked out the local bluegrass association, found a local music shop that sells mandolins. I went there today and i am starting lessons this saturday! (just as long as i dont have to work)

sure have to like that. April is going to seem so far away. Being able to take lessons from someone that good will be like Christmas.

im still keeping my eye out for more affordable lessons. The lesson i have on saturday is only a half hour, i cant really afford an hour right now... Business is slow And i still want a new Mandolin!

I am still going to take lessons online through the academy of bluegrass. Mike Marshall. hard to beat the value. I sent a local there today to sign up for fiddle lessons (going to jam with this guy too. never knew he played fiddle. brother of a good friend). $30/mnth for 3 months unlimited use. I think it'd be a great investment.

i was looking into that... do you know if you can get the material he shows you written out so i could print it or is it all online and no print outs?

I am not sure tbh. I just went to the site and watched all the demo videos. I find his voice easy to listen to and his explanations made sense to me. I work graveyards so my life cycle isn't that of a normal person. Better to ask someone that has allready signed up about that one. mind you I just have to finish the bank statements to figure what I have left to work with and should be signed up by the weekend.

im a night owl but i do work in the a.m. But i get what you mean, im also trying to fly to new york in april so im trying to budget myself right now, so thats why i have not subscribed yet, let me know if you can get written material if you sign up this weekend.

Blog Entries

There are printable tab/notes for tunes MM teaches via the BG Academy; play along tracks are provided too. It's a very organized approach.

If anyone's interested, I posted an extended review of the Academy of Bluegrass School of Mandolin on my blog.

Thanks David- I think a lot of people are curious about the the Bluegrass Academy.

Good review David. I am getting the lessons as a birthday present I found out. Tuesday is my birthday. I am pretty stoked. I'm still going to take lessons with John R though as his playing is very different to Mike's. Someday I'd like to try lessons with Rich D as well http://www.mandolinblues.com/ as his blues kicks butt.

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Thanks David. So, what was Mike Marshall's response to your excellent version of Cuckoo's Nest?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary Philips View Post
    Thanks David. So, what was Mike Marshall's response to your excellent version of Cuckoo's Nest?
    Thanks Rosemary - he said he liked it, bless him, and he demonstrated a whole bunch of cool variations to work on to make it better. He told me to put my strap over my neck instead of over one shoulder, which I've tried now and actually turned out to be a pretty good idea. And he suggested a bunch of scale studies to help me improve my improvisation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    If anyone's interested, I posted an extended review of the Academy of Bluegrass School of Mandolin on my blog.
    Thanks for posting this, it was very helpful and answered all my questions.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

The best thing about the Academy to me is that you get to see everyone's videos and see Mike's response to them as well. It's like having lessons at all three levels at once.
    We few, we happy few.

Registered User Rosemary Philips's Avatar

Wow--sounds really helpful. I think I might have to sign up!

I recently had the good fortune to take instruction from Reischman for three days in a group setting at a nearby bluegrass music camp. He teaches with as much skill as he plays. You are very lucky!

Blog Entries

Hard to beat those lessons, pipeous. Rich D too!

I am quite happy as my wife suggested I get some more lessons. I feel like I have plateaued a bit, and could use getting called on things in person before going online.

Work hard, reap rewards later.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I certainly could use some direction. I was plinking the mando during some blues tunes at rehearsals today (more than usual anyway) and I went to take a couple lead solos and it felt odd. half of one break I was fine then my brain just froze and I could only do simple stuff. that and playing in B is just a foreign key to me.

and the more I play the epiphone plugged in, the more I am hating it. man it just sounds awful. I have 2 different amps (one is a modelling amp) and I have tried a number of combinations. and we play on the louder side so I turn up and hear every pick click. can't wait for the day it is just my camping mando... sorry had to rant. I worked last night, had 4 hrs sleep then went to rehearsals for 5 hrs. tired and cranky

so i took the plunge and i signed up for the academy of bluegrass, and im happy i did so. There is a wealth of information that is extremely helpful. I also had a private lesson today and that was even more helpful.

David, that was a lovely rendition. Great tone.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks very much, Mary!

Blog Entries

Very nice review on your blog, thanks.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Well I just signed up for the academy. Time to go have some fun. Starting with mandolin but the family wants me to take fiddle too... that was the nice way of saying dear god take lessons before you play it anymore