Thread: An epoxy trick

Hey guys,
    I'd been having trouble filling small holes with epoxy (filling old side dot holes, specifically), even if I tried my best to shove it, spoon it, cram it into the hole, it always seemed to trap air inside and so wasn't really well filled. Well maybe ye's already know this, but if you coat the inside of the hole with a really small spreader, just enough to wet the inside surface with epoxy, then place a dab of epoxy _next_ to the hole, touching the wetted part, it will flow into the hole bottom up. Voila, solid hole filling.

"Remember, if the women don't find ye handsome, they might as well find ye handy."

Brian

Wanna be manodlin player

Brian,

I am by no means a luthier, but would a syringe work to get the epoxy into the hole?
    Ron Lane
    2002 Gibson F-9
    Martin DC-18GTE

Brian,I have used epoxy to fill the side dots,but the solid black plastic dowels are so much easier that I use those exclusively. They sell white ones too,for dark binding. Very cheep to order from Stew Mac,but include them with a bigger order to make the shipping costs a little saner.
    Jim

Yep, the plastic sticks work great but this hole was larger than 1/16" and not perfectly round as I had to drill and pry out some pearl rounds glued in.

Syringes are one time use with epoxy, it'd get expensive, and messy trying to load that sucker for a little job here and there. Try the above, methinks it'll do ya right.

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

For filling a hole like that I prefer to use ebony dust and super glue. Fill the hole with ebony dust, use something small and pointy like a scratch awl to make sure it is packed and then a drop of regular (thin) super glue.

Ken
    Peace

Actually, Ken's suggestion is my preferred choice. Super glue goes off quicker, shrinks less and sands beautifully compared to most epoxies. Charcoal dust is another "filler" that can be used to get a good black.
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

Lord, give me strength, it was just a method of avoiding air bubbles in epoxy.

Part of the reason may be that it's late but, but the Lord give me strength had me laughing til my sides hurt! Don't cast your pearls before the swine OldTymer!
    A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.

Well, some of us got it! I think that is a great trick, using "magic" to get the hole filled.

Did you try warming the epoxy with a heat gun...that usually helps me get most of the bubbles out and getting things filled nicely
    Yup

Yeah, o.k., I got it; but...<g>

Thing is, with the inherent "creep" most epoxies have, they don't really make a good hole filler and often show up later as a slight depression or raised area.

Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com