Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norwegian Cruise Line ship to host Bluegrass Festival

Default Norwegian Cruise Line ship to host Bluegrass Festival

NFI on my part. Just an article in USA Today.

What's billed as the first bluegrass festival at sea will take place in early 2013.

Music cruise organizer Sixthman on Monday announced plans for the Mountain Song at Sea cruise, as it's being called -- a three-night, music-filled trip to the Bahamas on Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Sky.

Kicking off in Miami on Feb. 1, 2013, the sailing will boast performances by more than a dozen bluegrass, folk and acoustic artists, including The David Grisman Sextet, Del McCoury Band, Steep Canyon Rangers, Tim O'Brien & Bryan Sutton, The Kruger Brothers, Peter Rowan, Larry Keel & Natural Bridge, The Travelin' McCourys, Shannon Whitworth, Della Mae and Town Mountain.

Sixthman says the voyage will feature intimate performances, collaborations, spontaneous jams, activities and Q&A sessions with the artists.

Sixthman is teaming with Mountain Song Productions and Steep Canyon Rangers to organize the event. Tickets will be available to the public in mid-May but fans can sign up now for a pre-sale booking. Fares start at $495 per person, baesd on double occupancy and not including government taxes and fees.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...-ship/658152/1

Blog Entries

Default Re: Norwegian Cruise Line ship to host Bluegrass Festival

Wouldn't be great if there was a Mandolin Cafe meet and greet reception on the boat.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Norwegian Cruises. Hope they have barbecued lutefisk.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Norwegian Cruises. Hope they have barbecued lutefisk.
    Yah, I bet deh will by golly.
    We few, we happy few.

Highly Lonesome Marty Henrickson's Avatar

That sounds like a dream cruise.....uf dah!
    Gibson Jam Master A-Standard #56
    Martin D-28 Clarence White #103
    Gallagher Doc Watson

www.instacanv.as/martyhenrickson

At our local bluegrass meetings there usually no one there under 60 years old. Can you imagine what it would be like on a Bluegrass cruise? Better have a few Doctors on board.
    ntriesch

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
    At our local bluegrass meetings there usually no one there under 60 years old. Can you imagine what it would be like on a Bluegrass cruise? Better have a few Doctors on board.
    But isn't that who you find on cruises usually anyway? Never been on a cruise ship but my impression is that they are popular with seniors mostly. I think they tend to keep the defibrillator warmed up and handy on those things. The prices don't seem that bad figuring they feed you and all, I can find myself spending that much going to Reno for a weekend and staying at a Motel 6. Bluegrass and shuffleboard,booze and gambling --and a waterfall, sounds great but I bet I don't make it.

I can recommend the Mix Newmad mandos for Cruises - seein' as how they are waterproof and float... Cruisin' aint what it used to be...

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Not for nothing, but this has been done before.

Don't forget your Drammamine!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I went on the "Cayamo" cruise this past Feb, also on a NCL ship, and also produced by Sixthman. They have been doing this for 5-6 years, but this was my first time ever on any cruise. This one was seven days, and the music was "singer/songwriter" focused, a lot of "americana" genre music, but not all. Many passengers brought their instruments, and there was a lot of jamming on board, and some of the pros participated in the jams. About 35-40 artists (and their bands, in some cases). Artists included Lyle Lovett, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Keb Mo, John Prine, Lucinda Williams, Buddy Miller, WPA (former Nickel Creek core), Iris Dement, Loudon Wainwright, Civil Wars, and several others, all high calibre musicians and performers.

If I was more of a bluegrass fan, and had the time and money to go on this particular one, I know I would not be disappointed. As for the age of the passengers, it was a wide range, although a generally older crowd, for sure, but everyone was there primarily for the music, and there was a ton of it. We probably saw 45-50 performances over the week.

Quote Originally Posted by retroman View Post
    I went on the "Cayamo" cruise this past Feb, also on a NCL ship, and also produced by Sixthman............. (edited) Artists included Lyle Lovett, Richard Thompson, John Hiatt, Keb Mo, John Prine, Lucinda Williams, Buddy Miller, WPA (former Nickel Creek core), Iris Dement, Loudon Wainwright, Civil Wars, and several others, all high calibre musicians and performers.

Wow. THAT line-up would have been enough to cure me of my total lack of interest in cruising. A friend of mine takes a blues cruise every year (perhaps out of California?), and the names he has told me who feature on those events are similarly enticing. I like bluegrass, but several days of it would stretch me.

ron

Blog Entries

The biggest objection to cruising I have is the general purpose cruises don't have any activities of any real interest to me. This one, however, looks like a lot of fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

They have being sponsering bluegrass theme cruises for over a decade. It's no big deal just a regular cruise with some bluegrass bands set up in one of the lounges. Usually you have 300 to 600 guest that pay a little extra to do the bluegrass stuff on the cruise while the rest of the 1500+/- cruisers do regular cruise activties. I know Rhonda vincent has done quite a few. They also do Grand Ole Opry cruises. Can you image being at sea for 7 days with Little Jimmy Dickens and Jeanne Sealy?

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    ....just a regular cruise with some bluegrass bands set up in one of the lounges. Usually you have 300 to 600 guest that pay a little extra to do the bluegrass stuff on the cruise while the rest of the 1500+/- cruisers do regular cruise activties.....
    Well, I don't think that's true. Sixthman (the event producer) takes over the entire cruise, and all the guests are there for the music (and also the "normal" cruise activities, but without the cheesier entertainment, etc) Sixthman brings a lot of their own crew, and manages all the sound systems for multiple venues that are set up on board, and runs it like a festival.

Well I don't think they take over the entire ship. I can book the same ship on the same day on the same cruise without the bluegrass pass to the shows for $249 pp/do. If they had blocked the entire ship from public access it would not be showing on their website.
    http://www2.ncl.com/vacations?loc=N%...e%3F&location=

I would really like to do this, and I am not a cruise person, never been on one. BUT, those prices are HIGH. A cruise-experienced friend of mine said an average cruise costs about $100 a day, this is about $700 minimum for three days. Even though you are getting a lot of great music, I don't think I can swing it, and that is disappointing.

I thought so too as the price they quote for the bottom of the hull for an inside room is starting double what I quoted from the NCL site for same room. Cruise prices don't always adhere to the $100 per day per person. That would be a good deal. Most of the mega ships cruising premium ports in the Carrib. are closer to $200 per day per person. It depends on the ship and where it is going and the time of the year. Generally a 3 or 4 day cruise is reserved for those "first timers" to see if they like cruising or not. Get you feet wet deals and they are cheap. Add in Del McCoury and Steve Martin and your price would go up but double? So if you go rock bottom and are paying an extra $250 that would relate to a 3 day festival for $250. MerleFest ain't that high but then it's not on the open seas either.

Anybody from the Mandolin Cafe going on this cruise? I've never been interested in cruises before, but the lineup really won me over. My hubby and I are using it as an excuse for a "late honeymoon" but any rationalization that you can come up with would work I think. Looking forward to the onboard jams, as well as all the superb talent in the scheduled shows. For us, a once in a lifetime adventure.
    1991 Apitius F5 (#1036)
    2017 Briar Road 3-point archtop
    2007 Kentucky KM-1000

Glad you are going. I just steped off my 40th cruise yesterday. It sure was hot down in Aruba. We had 4 sea days for plenty of sun and fun on the ship. This one really does look like a good one to go on to get your feet wet to crusing and enjoy some great bluegrass music too. I've been on the Norw. Sky and it's not that big of a ship. More of a a mini-ship by today's standards. If you like this one you will love the big mega-ships.

PS: Be sure to take your KM1000 and give it to Ronnie and the Dawg to pick on. Nothing like hearing a pro play your mandolin. And did anyone find out for sure if the entire ship is just for this festival? Or are regular people still able to book it without the festival shows?

My wife and I are going on this cruise. It will be our first as well, we are really looking forward to it. f5loar, I don't believe it is the entire ship. I believe early on in May I was on the NCL website and you could book without the show tickets and activities.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON

My wife and I are also going on the cruise -- another first time cruise couple. I will be bringing my Mix A-5, which should travel well. I will try to remember to bring my Mandolin Cafe cap.

Alan
    acinva

the reason I asked is Retroman said "Well, I don't think that's true. Sixthman (the event producer) takes over the entire cruise, and all the guests are there for the music (and also the "normal" cruise activities, but without the cheesier entertainment, etc) Sixthman brings a lot of their own crew, and manages all the sound systems for multiple venues that are set up on board, and runs it like a festival. " I didn't see any follow up on this. I would think it would be hard to fill a ship with 2000 bluegrass fans at those prices. Heck you are lucky to get that many at a land festival for $25 a day. When you return from the cruise I would like to know how it was run. Full ship or only partial ship? Makes sense if me and others could book a room without the bluegrass festival that it's not the entire ship. PS: Don't forget to sample the escargo and lobster tails on formal night.

I spoke with the gentleman in charge the other day on the phone and he said that while there are still a few openings this one sold well for the first attempt at bluegrass by Sixthman. I will give a full review when I get back. I do see by looking at NCL's site that you can't book that particular cruise outside of the Bluegrass promotion now.
    Kentucky KM 140 (Sold)
    Weber-Made The Loar
    Eastwood Mandocaster (Sold)
    Kala SMHC Concert Uke (Sold)
    1910 Gibson A-1
    The Loar LM 700
    Washburn B8K Banjo
    Recording King RA 998-E resonator
    1923 Gibson F-4 with double stamped FON

San Antonio, Texas and Steamboat Springs, Colorado

F5 Loar -- I believe the festival takes over the entire ship. Since there will be 4 or so locations with music going constantly (including the main auditorium and the pool decks), and several jam rooms, I can't imagine there would be any way to keep any "regular" non-festivarian cruisers out of the festival events. I also think this crowd will be pretty young because of the line-up. I'm in a group of 7 friends, and we're all between about 28 and 42. Should be really fun.

As for it being too pricey to sell many tickets, I figured we're getting a lineup of the caliber of Telluride ($290ish for a ticket and camping) or RockyGrass ($190ish for ticket and camping) in an intimate setting, jamming with friends and artists, plus 3 nights of comfortable (non-camping) accomodation, food, and the cruise experience. You can also figure out how much you'd pay to go to individual shows for people like the Steep Canyon Rangers or Punch Bros. It didn't seem like a bad deal to me. I've never been on a cruise though!
    2005 Collings MT #1045
    2011 Fletcher Brock OM #130