Thread: Earnest Tenor Guitars

Blog Entries

Default Earnest Tenor Guitars

I was very surprised to see no threads here on the Cafe about the Earnest Tenor guitars. It looks like Joel Eckhaus of Earnest offers the widest range of tenor guitars out there.
    Any opinions or thoughts about these?
    Any Earnest tenor guitar owners out there?
    Also, I'd love to hear what owners think of the Kent Armstrong pickups that come on the Earnest electrics.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: Earnest Tenor Guitars

When I hit the lottery, or at least get a well paying full-time job, I'm going to get one of his Rosettas. Apart from their stunning looks and what I am sure is a top quality build and sound, I especially appreciate that he makes shorter scale necks (~21") in addition to the more standard 23". Having played a few 23" scale tenors and a 20.5" octave mandolin, I think that 21" would optimal for me. (He makes an octave mando as well, btw.)

I've had a couple of Earnest tenors but they haven't stuck with me. The Radiator is cool but I prefer my National Triolian. And I had a Tenorcaster briefly but I'm more stuck on my Schwab. That's just sort of how it shook out. They're very nice instruments.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I just got a Earnest Tenorcaster on trade (Thanks Martin and Grahame), and I really like it...It sounds like a telecaster, especially with the bridge pickup. Everything seems solid so far...now, If only I could trade it for a 5 string version!

I have one of the first Selmas (pictured on his site). An excellent instrument. My only non-vintage tenor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

They look like well made instruments, the Selma and Veronica appeal to me the most. Would love to get one in the hands sometime.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Come on up here, Charles. We can play some old time music, you can see the Embergher and play the Selma.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1