Thread: Adam Steffey: "I would never take another solo"

Default Adam Steffey: "I would never take another solo"

In honor of the Boxcars finally (!) releasing their debut CD, I’ve just posted a peek at both The Boxcars on stage and their ace mandolin player Adam Steffey in workshop mode. Given how many pickers emulate his patented three-finger runs, it’s interesting how Steffey really drives home the importance of rhythm in his playing. He goesso far as to say that he would be happy just to lay down a chop and “never take another solo.” Check out the video and let us know what you think. The post is at www.secondcousincurly.com

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Re: Adam Steffey: "I would never take another solo"

“If I’m playing with a good guitar player and a good bass player, and I’m able to work rhythmically with what’s going on, I would never take another solo.”

Right on! Boxcars have that in spades. Keith Garrett and Harold Nixon are two of best (and nevermind that Keith can sing too!) in the biz. IMHO this is the heart of great bluegrass band and a point that gets overlooked too often.

BTW - "All In", this is not their debut CD, it's their 2nd.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

That is a link to a fantastic site - instantly in my favourites list.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    BTW - "All In", this is not their debut CD, it's their 2nd.
    Arrgh! Thanks for the correction, Pete! I was thrown off by something I read only back in November in Bluegrass Unlimited about how The Boxcars were touring without an album on the shelf. I'll try to set the record straight. Yer Pal-- Curly

Darrin--

Many thanks for the kind words. I've got a lot of great mando material waiting to be edited, along with a ton of general bluegrass profiles and performances. Stay tuned...

Yer Pal-- Curly

[QUOTE=mandopete;1035517]“If I’m playing with a good guitar player and a good bass player, and I’m able to work rhythmically with what’s going on, I would never take another solo.”
    That would go down with me as well as hearing that Tony Rice had quit playing Guitar or that Ronnie McCoury had taken up playing Trumpet. What a loss that would be for us,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

[QUOTE=Ivan Kelsall;1035676]
    Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    “If I’m playing with a good guitar player and a good bass player, and I’m able to work rhythmically with what’s going on, I would never take another solo.”
    That would go down with me as well as hearing that Tony Rice had quit playing Guitar or that Ronnie McCoury had taken up playing Trumpet. What a loss that would be for us,
    Ivan
    Clearly he's using hyperbole to make a point. He's not seriously suggesting a strictly rhythmic role for himself.

My reaction was sort of 'what if he did' mean it. I too, couldn't realistically think of AS taking a 'strum along' role. He'd burst at the seams trying to contain himself !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Nah, he's just saying that rhythm and timing are HUGE when it comes to a bluegrass band sound. The guitar and bass really are the backbone and if you've ever had the chance to play with a couple of good 'uns you'll know what Adam is talking about.

In the rock n roll world it's like having a great drummer. In high school I played bass in rock band with a really good drummer and I can tell you it was a total blast. Don't need no solo or nothing.

Note: There was a nice interview on Siruis XM called "Track By Track" where they reviewed the entire recording by the Boxcars. I could just listen to Adam Steffey talk all day - that accent is like butter!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I certainly agree about having a good bass player.You can have a Bluegrass band without a bass fiddle - i had one back in '65,but when we had a really top flight bass player join us,the whole sound just 'filled out' in a way you have to hear to believe,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.