Thread: Flint hill special

Default Flint hill special

Ok, I've looked for mando tabs, and can't come up with a thing. Anybody got some?

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Re: Flint hill special

Well, since there is no mando on "Foggy Mountain Banjo" (only Earl, Paul Warren and Josh trade solos) there is nothing to note or tab. You'd have to work it out by ear. In G.

Although there could be some TAB worked out by other players who've wished to play 'Flinthill Special' on Mandolin,there's a strong likelihood that because there's no Mandolin in the original,nobody's bothered to do it.I'd imagine that in a Jam session,that if FS cropped up,& if you're a decent enough player,you'd just 'wing it'.As Swampy says,you'd be better spending time working it out by ear,unless others on here can help. How were you planning to perform the Scrugg's tuner bit,or were you planing to back off & let the Banjo do it ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Ivan, in fact I play that (knowing plenty of banjo players who like to exercise their tuners, it comes up in jams with regularity) and I do the tuners part, using the same timing. The B to A I do as a pull-off on the 2nd string, the G to F# I place both fingers in position (4th and 5th frets) and also do a pull-off, but sometimes pick through it, since on the wound string it's hard to really pull and get the string to ring (also, since it's a fretted lower note). On the way up it's hammer-ons both times. Not too hard once you practice a bit.

Hi Swampy - I can play FHS on Mandolin,but having played the 'real thing' on Banjo for over 40 years,it's a pale comparison.I do the Scruggs tuner' bit by using a 'slide' down from the higher to the lower note. It's like all 'non-mando.' instrumentals to me,i can hear the 'original version' in my head & i have to wonder 'should i be playing this' - the answer should be 'why not ?',but i feel uneasy doing it,so mostly i don't,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

There's a utube video of JD Crowe and The New South uploaded in 2007. There's a nice mandolin part in it. Pretty fast but it can give you ideas. It's what I used to learn the song. I don't do it exactly like the video, but I figured a nice part to play.

I do the "down slide" like Ivan.
    It is always interesting to me to see how many folks want tabs, I have never much liked them. That's just my particular bent. I have always listened and done what I hear. It used to be so much an "aural" tradition for me. Where I very much appreciate those who really must use the licks off the record, it's more personal for me to use the record and inspiration.
    I was at a jam where the singer (also mandolin player) did a tune and I just figured out something I felt tasteful. He turned to me and said:" The guy who wrote the song, never wrote a mandolin break for it, that was nice!" Made me feel pretty good, can't remember the song though.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

On the original recording they used a fiddle and when it came to the part that called for de-tuning the fiddle just kept playing with out any de-tuning and then the banjo took over, just try and learn what the fiddle part was and you will be OK, I do a sort of pull off on FHS and also on Earl`s Breakdown by picking two strings almost at the same time, (G&D) hard to explain though...

Willie