Thread: WHICH Mid-Missouri for me?

I've found that Charlie's Guitars here in Dallas is a bluegrass shop that carries a number of mandolins. Their low-dollar line is Mid-Missouri. For $575 I can get an MM-4 "Solid Pau Ferro rosewood back and sides. Solid Sitka spruce top. Ebony fretboard and bridge" that they have in stock, but it's the ONLY one they have in stock.

A. That sounds like a great deal to me for a hand built solid mandolin. Has anyone any experience with these that you could share?

B. Even if I like the way this one sounds, I'd like to try the others, but that probably ain't gonna happen! What's the difference in tone and characteristics between the mahogany, maple, rosewood or pau ferro models???

Thanks!

Check out the link for Folk of the Wood and listen to the soundclips for the different Mid-Mo models.
    Keep it acoustic.

Good idea on the FOTW sound clips, but be warned, unless you have better computer technology than I do, you may not be able to hear that much difference. At least that has been my experience.

I toured the Mid-mo factory with the owner, Mike Dulak, who is a fine musician BTW. He said that he considers the M-4 with that special rosewood to be the pinnacle of their models as far as tone goes. It is the loudest, for sure. I personally like the M-11, though. I just have a visceral attraction to mahogany. I like the way it looks, the way it sounds and even the way it smells. If I get a Mid-mo, that would be the one. It has a drier, "folkier" kind of sound, without as many overtones, and it is not quite as loud, but still very adequate.

I know the guy with Smithfield Fair, a Scottish folk group whose picture is used to advertise for Mid-Missouri. He toured the plant,played all the models, and picked the M-0 for his choice, which is the cheapest mahogany model. I once owned an M-2 (maple), but if I had it to do over again would get mahogany, or maybe even rosewood or walnut.
    Keep it acoustic.

I have the M-4 Rosewood, but I believe it is Murado from Bolivia, rather than Pau-Ferro. I am not sure of the difference. Mine was built in early 1998. It has lots of volume and a nice open sound. If I went for another I would likely try the Walnut M-3 model. I like the instrument so much that I do not have any desire to upgrade, but I would like another Mid Missuri.

I can't tell you much about the difference between the Rosewood M-4 and my Maple M-2 since I've never played the former. I can, however, vouche for the quality of MidMo; my M-2 has never given me a moments trouble and my teacher was impressed that such an inexpensive mando played so well up the neck. I saved my pennies and got a Rigel R100 this summer so I don't play the M-2 much anymore - the Rigel neck is to die for - but my wife won't let me sell it because it's such a nice little instrument.

Thanks for your replies and comments guys! I think you've talked me into it! I'll probably go down there and check out the mm4 and buy it if I like it as much as I think I will!

I tried the sound clips on fotw but they were too badly organized. Some were far away, some were close up, they played different tunes, etc. I appreciate what they tried to do, but they needed to standardize the setup and tunes they played! I thought I was doing well listening to them until I went to one of the low end Johnson clips that they had done with the mando up close and it sounded huge! Well maybe the others would had they done the same. Too bad. A for effort though.

Thanks again for your comments.

I had a M-2 Mid Mo and it was a sweet sounding mando. In my opinion I like the M-2 best which is maple back and side and spruce top. It is very bright and loud and cuts through a jam pretty darn good.

I traded mine in on a A Style Flatiron and almost imediately I wished I had kept it. Good thing about a Mid Mo it is such a quality instrument that you can just about get your money back when you sell if you can keep it in good conditions.

Also if you keep an eye peeled on eBay (and sometimes in the Cafe classifieds) you can pick up a Mid-Mo for around $350.00

Not to take anything away from Mid-Mo, they make fine instruments, but you should take a look at Chris Baird's work. Here's one of his new flat-tops in the classifieds:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin....trieval

Get him to send you some pics and sound clips. Very nice work and great sound. I just bought one and I can't wait to get it.

Fiddles
    Arches F4 / Newson F5
    Crump B1 / Old Wave GOM

I just bought one too And I'm HOPING it comes in time for Christmas!

Jim,
    Thanks for the pointer to Chris Bairds' work. I talked with him on the phone today and likely will have him build me one. In either case, everyone's comments have been greatly appreciated!
    B.W.