Thread: skype or webcam

Default skype or webcam

I am looking to take some lessons online. I looked at Mike Marshall's website and he suggested making a video of my playing using a webcam. I also seem to remember lessons that used the skype program. Since I don't have either equipment, I was wondering which might be less expensive and/or easier to use. My friend has skype which just used a small camera attached to the computer. What's involved using a webcam? Also, and this question doesn't quite belong in the Equipment section of the forum, but anyway. I am an intermediate player who wants lessons in how to improvise in bluegrass at a more developed level. Which lessons which use the less intricate equipment would address this technique?
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: skype or webcam

First, I've been taking lessons via skype for over a year.

I purchased a web cam I think for about $100 that is attached to my computer. The basic skype is a free download. I suggest you purchase the best cam you can afford because you will eventually utilize all the features and you will want the best video when you want to start your on line video. You will also need to download a media player program (free). This will allow you to record yourself practicing which is an additional benefit to having the web cam attached to your computer. I would also recommend the good quality internet connection service

If you would like a reference for an online instructor please pm me and I can provide you with some more information

Daniel, lessons via skype are really quite easy. You do however need a pretty fast internet connection. Skype offers a few levels of service including some features that you need to pay for but you do not need any of theses "pay" features in order to take lessons via skype. A webcam can be the camera built into your computer or an external camera. If your computer does not have one you will need to get one. They are well under $100 and available at any office supply store like Staples. The majority of my students use skype to take lessons from me. It is not as good as being in the same room as the teacher but it can be very effective. I would also suggest getting the software to record the lessons. There is a huge benefit to being able to go back and review the lessons at a later date. Hope this helps.

In case you do not understand it would not be Skype OR a webcam, you need a webcam for Skype. A webcam is the type of camera that connects to your computer for live video feeds. You can also record using your webcam attached to your computer. Some digital cameras also work as webcams.
    Bill Snyder

Yeah, I figured out that a webcam was needed for skyp lessons and that they aren't exclusive of each other. I have also reexamined my time and realized I can't swing lessons at this point and still be able to attend the 2 jams I'm now involved with. I guess I'll keep plugging along until the time becomes available. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Daniel Kaufman