Thread: Sound setup for my SCGC VA & Collings MT???

Default Sound setup for my SCGC VA & Collings MT???

Hi,
    I just got a Santa Cruz VA that came with a Fishman Pickup.
    I have a Collings MT with no pickup.
    However, I have a Audio-Technica ATM350 Cardioid Condenser Clip-on Microphone that I've used but not to crazy about how it looks. I clip it onto a tone guard. But I have scroll envy, so I keep thinking I don't want to have anything installed internal on the Collings.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what else I need. I'm looking for the "truest" sound I can get out of the instruments. I play lots a rootsy, blues, bluegrass, dawg, fingerstyle, folk stuff.

I think the one thing missing is a DI box. Was thinking about the L.R. Baggs Para DI. Would this work well with my guitar and mando?

Any other advice/suggestions regarding my set up, getting the Para DI, or the mando pickup? Thanks!!

Default Re: Sound setup for my SCGC VA & Collings MT???

I use a similar clip on microphone. I clip it onto the tail piece where the strings come out towards the bridge an curve it away from the instrument an point the mic towards the lower f hole. Works great. I have tried lots of other "stuff" like schertlers, piezos and find this the nicest tone on my Collings Mando. I play it through a tone bone Pre Z preamp and then run it into my accoustic amp.
    I happen to use a trace Elliot but there are lots of good amps on the market.
    The advantage of the tone bone is that you could input 2 instruments. there have been lots of talk about this radial tone bone in these forums... there is also both a mute and boost function (and lots of other possibilities with the tonebone. I purchased mine used. it is built like a tank.
    hope this helps. Barry
    P

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Based on your description of the sound you're looking for, play with the microphone, much truer "acoustic" sound. The mic won't need a DI box, just plug it into a board with phantom power. If you have no phantom power on the board, here's a supply I have used when I'm too lazy to drag around a big board which normally supplies phantom power. ART power supply.

If you need a DI, which would be for a pick-up and it's pre-amp, I'm a real fan of the Radials, a little more expensive than most, but worth the bucks. They make a bunch of stuff that's really become a problem solver for me.

Thanks a lot y'all. Guess I should have said this in the original post.
    I have a $200 credit at Maury's Music.

Anybody use a Fishman Aura Sixteen?
    Would this work with my mando (with the ATM350) and guitar?

Blog Entries

I use an Aura Spectrum sometimes, but before that had the early version of the Aura Sixteen. Works quite well to 'round out' pickup sounds, and to remove 'quack... they do only work with piezo pickups, though. Not with microphones, so of no use to you with your ATM350.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Not with microphones, so of no use to you with your ATM350.
    Thanks Almeriastrings. So would the ATM350 clip on mic also work with the L.R. Baggs Para DI?

Anybody other recommendations from Maury's Music that are better than the Baggs Para DI and around $200? (Trying so hard not to spend any more $$$....)

Registered Loser

Does the clip-on mic have XLR or 1/4 output? The L.R. Baggs Paracoustic DI is excellent for my acoustic guitar pick-up. And I have used it for mandolin pick-up, but to me nothing sounds as natural as a good microphone for pure acoustic sound.
    That being said, the clip-on may not need the extra umph of the DI--going directly into the mixer is likely enough. And unless it has 1/4 inch output I doubt it would even be needed but I could be wrong.

llg, the clip-on has an XLR. But I have a Hosa Technology MIT-176 Low-Z XLR-F to Hi-Z 1/4" Male Transformer.

So TONIGHT... someone let me borrow his LR Baggs PADI. What r the chances? Nice dude. So I tried it with the SCGC. Sounded great.

Tried the mando with the ATM350 and Hosa Transformer. No sound. I had it plugged into a PA with phantom power. Perhaps I need to try again tomorrrow.

Blog Entries

If you want to be able to use a pickup, a condenser mic, either singly, or together via only one box there are not too many options. This is probably one of the best:

http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/aco...reamp_edb1.php

As with all such equipment, though, the big drawback is cost. it is not cheap. Around $300 in the US, I believe.

Now... if you just want to use your mic, plug that straight into the XLR 'mic' input of the desk. No transformers (they block phantom power). No adapters. No other preamp. Just straight in. It does require phantom power, so make sure that is on. All you need.

If you want to mix pickup and mic, you can do that too via two channels on the desk. One for the mic (as above) and another line-in via BAGGS PADI or Fishman Aura. I often use setups line that, with a stand mounted mic, creating a simple, but effective 'blend' system. I prefer it over fixed 'blenders' actually, as you can move in and out of the mic, creating more flexibility and a more dynamic sound. It will also work with your instrument-mounted mic, but of course, you lose the ability to close in or back off from it. You'll have to set usable levels at soundcheck.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Almeria's right, mics are just plug and play. All you'll need for a condenser mic is phantom power. I'll now go off the deep end a little and strongly advise you to stop using all the intermediate boxes of equalizers, mini-mixers, stomps and and so on. If you want a clean signal, clean up the equipment, get rid of every non-essential piece of junk in the signal chain. Everyone loves gadgets, and needs an excuse to get one. Save your money, get a better mandolin, or best of all, use the savings to take a sound tech class at a community college somewhere. After 20 years or so of presenting shows for top groups, I will tell you the disparity of what the old guys who have been around forever like and what the newer-to-touring guys want is really stark. The longer the guys have been around, and the better their reputation for for great live sound, the simpler their equipment. The tech rider is as simple as candy. Old guys with many awards: "Band "X" will require 4 DI boxes and SM58's for vocalists. 2 SM 57's will be necessary. The band carries their own clip-on mics." New Guys who haven't really gotten there yet: "Band "Y" will require 8 monitor mixes for three musicians, 12 DI's, 17 A.C. power outlets, effects board, processor, reverb and delay, 11 large-diaghram condensers, three for each musician plus one for the guitarist's foot-tapping board and one for the bongo, which will be used for one song out of 30." The old guys sound exactly like they do on their cd's every time. EVERY TIME. The younger guys need so much compression to tame their individual spikes that you might as well be listening to an Ipod without earbuds.

Fortunately, the beauties of simplicity are coming back in style. More and more the 20-somethings are going old-school and keeping it simpler. We have for the past couple of years told agents who rep bands with excessive tech riders that we're just not interested in fighting the sound-quality wars. Our audience expects essentially cd-quality listening room sound. If the group really wants to play at our place, they'll have to cut the junk out. First they say "no way.." A couple of years later, they're back with the greatly reduced list. Experience is a great teacher.