Thread: Has anybody tried Gibson Bill Monroe strings?

Default Has anybody tried Gibson Bill Monroe strings?

I bought these as my first replacement strings, I was looking for the D'Addarios J-73's, but this was really all they had at my local shop so I went ahead and got them, just wondering if someone could give me their thoughts. I normally stay away from signature stuff unless it's recommended and the Gibson Sam Bush strings have gotten mixed reviews here, so I just thought I would ask.

Default Re: Has anybody tried Gibson Bill Monroe strings?

From what I have read here Bill Monroe strings would be old and rusty.
    Flatiron 2MW
    Collings CJa
    Martin D15
    Tacoma EM9c
    30's Washburn Parlor
    Various electric guitars, basses and amps.

They're all i use! I used J75s for years then a pickin buddy got me to try the monroes out and i've been hooked ever since. They just seem to bring out the best in all the mandos I've had through the years, even makes my little cheap kit mando sound good. I get that old sound with my Doug Odell Loar copy. I tried the Sam Bush stings to but they didn't speak to me. I also used EXP74s and seemed like they got dead after a couple weeks, maybe just the mando I had them on at the time....

Yeah, they were my go-to set before I discovered GHS Silk & Bronze. They are very nice, woody, bluegrass strings. I think they would be louder and tighter than the J-73s, but that would be a plus for me.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I remember getting a couple of packs with a mandolin. I thought they were nickel? I like the graphic on the package but they weren't keepers. Still liking D'Addario's - just wish they had better choices for player point redemption.

*hi Jim B.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

The Monroe signature strings have always been phospher bronze 11,15,26,41. Before those came out Monroe used the Gibson 161 mono-steel strings like the Sam Bush but different gauge. I like the Monroe Gibsons a lot but they are hard to find and when you do find them they tend to be on the pricey side compared to the GHS A270 11,16,26,41 or the DA J74. I like the '41 on the G but the .15 just a tad whimpy for hard picking. My prefered string for a long time has been the PF 270 Bright Bronze 11,16,26,40. They seem to last me a long time unless I let someone with that horrible "hand" killing deading disease hits a few licks on them and then I have to replace them.

Blog Entries

Another close match as far as string gauge would be the D'Addario J75 which are: 0.0115; 0.016 0.026, and 0.041 or (11.5; 16; 26; 41). I prefer the J75 over the J74 -- I've never tried J73 -- seem pretty light.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

I grabbed a few sets of the Monroe sig strings a couple of months ago. Must say I like them quite a lot. Sound nice on my Fern.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, I used to use Gibson strings years ago and for some reason switched to D'Addario and never went back -- maybe I should give the Gibson strings another try.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Somewhat related, anyone have thoughts on the D'ADDARIO STAINLESS STEEL strings? I just put on a pair I had kicking around and was very pleasantly surprised with the tone and punch.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

I've always preferred the tone from stainless steel over bronze. I have used flatwound strings for years, which are almost all made of stainless steel wrap, but before that I used GHS Silk and Steel. I always preferred the warmer tone from SS.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mando_dan View Post
    Somewhat related, anyone have thoughts on the D'ADDARIO STAINLESS STEEL strings? I just put on a pair I had kicking around and was very pleasantly surprised with the tone and punch.
    JS74's? I've used them in the past and liked them quite a bit. I used to think they were the same as Gibson monels but that's not the case. In his interview, Mike Compton says he uses JS74 sometimes. These days I use GHS A270's and I like everything about them.
    ‎"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." - Howard Aiken

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I remember getting a couple of packs with a mandolin. I thought they were nickel? I like the graphic on the package but they weren't keepers. Still liking D'Addario's - just wish they had better choices for player point redemption.

*hi Jim B.
    Just a heads up - don from D'Addario here - wanted to let you know that we are in the processing up putting up new items on our player points program. They should up up for all to see in about 4 weeks. That being said, you should also know that the points program is being discontinued. It will take the better part of 2 years for that to happen given that there is a good deal of product out in the marketplace with points on them, plus some of the items we still have in our warehouse. Jim D'Addario issued a post on his blog that sorta sums this program up -

FROM JIM D'ADDARIO - The D’Addario Player’s Points program was launched in 1991 as a way for us to say thank you to our loyal customers for their continued support of our products. As the marketplace for our products continues to develop globally it has become more and more difficult for us to successfully implement this wonderful customer loyalty program. We have recently decided that we will be phasing out this twenty year old program and will be focusing our efforts on offering exciting giveaway and promotional initiatives on Facebook and our promotions page. Feel free to “Like” us on Facebook to stay up to date on all current promotions.

While we have begun to remove the Player’s Points values from our packaging it may take a while for all the packaging to filter through our operations and our network of distributors and retailers. It is our intention to honor any requests from customers that have collected Player’s Points packaging. Unfortunately we will not have the same extensive catalogue of Player’s Points merchandise available going forward, but we will be adding exciting new designs to the existing items. We are pleased to announce that we’ll be introducing an all new Swag Store in late summer 2012 with brand new merchandise and swag items. For the first time we will be offering this merchandise for purchase as well as redeemable with any Player’s Points values that are left out there. We encourage you to use your remaining points now if you see something you like on this page or hold on to them until we introduce the new Swag Store this summer.

We thank you for your continued support of our products and if you have any questions on how to redeem your Player’s Points please contact us at playerspoints@daddario.com.

Yours truly,

Jim D’Addario