Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hoffee Carbon Fiber mandolin case, Anybody got one?

Default Re: The Hoffee Carbon Fiber mandolin case, Anybody got one?

Mine's probably about 5/6 years old. the lining, (tartan), keeps coming loose. It is only on the lid, but it is annoying. I've got all kinds of cases, including a Modern Case, and I am using a gig bag to go to rehearsals lately. My Caltons are the storage closet.

I'm hoping Bill Collings pursues his interest in mandolin cases.

I'm hoping I love the Hoffee. and if so, then I'm hoping he'll start making a mandola case.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Mine's probably about 5/6 years old. the lining, (tartan), keeps coming loose. It is only on the lid, but it is annoying. I've got all kinds of cases, including a Modern Case, and I am using a gig bag to go to rehearsals lately. My Caltons are the storage closet.

I'm hoping Bill Collings pursues his interest in mandolin cases.

I'm hoping I love the Hoffee. and if so, then I'm hoping he'll start making a mandola case.
    What is the Yanocsko tartan?

Here's a picture of the neck cradle of my Pegasus...when I first got the case the neck of the mandolin rested snug as a bug in a rug. Now it's loose as a goose (click on the pic to enlarge and you'll see how much of a gap there is). Also, as is the case with Mary, the interior lining keeps coming unglued in different locations. My hot glue gun takes care of the problem but it keeps failing in different locations. Also, one of the case latches is failing and will probably, in time, break. My case is a 2010.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	84690
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Apr-05-2012 at 10:59pm.

Yanocsko is a borrowed name.......my maiden name is Argentine........not sure there's any tartan there. What's the color of a good Malbec?

Jim, you are right.....no matter where I glue, there's more falling. Reminds me of the ceiling in my first house. No matter where you patched or replastered......you'd come home to yet another new area falling down. I hate to take the whole lining out and reglue, but maybe it is time.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

That's why I don't have one (Pegasus). I know of two others personally where this has happened. Now, I would probably not complain too much on a $100 case... but at the price these are, it sure put me off. I have 4 of the 'Superior' / GG FG cases and for a compact, fairly tough but fair-priced case, they seem to hold up really well. Certainly good value, and a thicker shell lay-up than on the Eastmans. I got some of those for $90 each in a blow-out sale....I would not be happy at all if I had lining failures in a $400+ case.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Well, I just received a Pegasus and I'll report back if it happens to this one. Frankly, if the worst that happens is I have to re-glue the lining in a year or two, I wouldn't consider that a disastrous failing of the case. It would just be a minor annoyance. In every other respect, this is exactly the case I was looking for.

Hope the neck cradle and latch(es) on your Peg don't fail as it has on mine (see previous post). Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Well, I just received a Pegasus and I'll report back if it happens to this one. Frankly, if the worst that happens is I have to re-glue the lining in a year or two, I wouldn't consider that a disastrous failing of the case. It would just be a minor annoyance. In every other respect, this is exactly the case I was looking for.

Has anybody contacted Sam about these problems?

Mike...feel free to contact me by PM and I can answer your question with regards to my experience.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Has anybody contacted Sam about these problems?

My Hoffee is in......

Got mine a few days ago. My back says, "ahhhhhhh, relief. ". Nice case. We'll see how it holds up.

What color combo did you get?

Gold interior, grey exterior. Tons of storage space. Plenty of room for the headstock.

Plenty of room for the headstock.
    Now, there's a novel idea.

FWIW, I noted there is an Australian Tourist Board Tartan,
    so maybe my friend in Scotland is right
    they will have one for the Japanese tourists too.

Maldives ? Falklands single malt?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Hoffee case made it today. Natural carbon exterior and green interior. Its fits the Campanella F like a glove.
    Matthew

One other thing. My 3 yr. old daughter decided to jump up and down on the Hoffee after I put the mandolin in. So, it survived her putting the case to the test.
    Matthew

So the Peg CF case startup still has no motor in it,
    or wheels to go anywhere?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Jeff Hoffee has been busy lately. My new custom ordered Hoffee case arrived by FEDEx today too. It even came packed in it's special made to fit with extra support heavymade cardboard box. It's all it's cracked up to be. Nice look, excellent quality, high end materials and lightweight with plenty of storage space. I ordered mine in dark blue graphite exterior with royal blue interior. It compares more to the Price teardrop then a Calton. It is 2 inches shorter than the Price and a little over 3 pounds lighter. Mine might be a pound or so heavier as it has the optional Thinsulate insulation in it. It fits my F5 like a glove with excellent top pressure points to hold it snug. I also got the custom Colorado Case cover which is similar to the Price case cover except it has an outer pocket on the top which is nice. With Calton cases really hard to find new and Pegasas so far away with extra shipping charges, and Price cases slow in production, the Hoffee is the way to go today for USA buyers. While the price is high it is in line with what the other high end case makers are charging. I couldn't be happier.

Are you guys and gals with these new Hoffee cases actually using them as checked luggage or just being prepared if it comes down to being forced to by an airline(ex. Turbo prop commuter flights, etc.)?

In my experience which is not that much flying with mandolins, a mandolin usually has never been a problem as most any shape style or teardrop case will go overhead. However with each airline having different polices or stupid by the hour employees that don't know their own rules and regulations it does make sense to have that option to check the case and not be worried about your mandolin. You see more problems with banjos and guitars. I use high end cases/covers more for temperature changes in a car trunk. The more protection you have the better chance of not doing damage to necks, end blocks, varnish finishes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Jeff Hoffee has been busy lately. My new custom ordered Hoffee case arrived by FEDEx today too. It even came packed in it's special made to fit with extra support heavymade cardboard box. It's all it's cracked up to be. Nice look, excellent quality, high end materials and lightweight with plenty of storage space. I ordered mine in dark blue graphite exterior with royal blue interior. It compares more to the Price teardrop then a Calton. It is 2 inches shorter than the Price and a little over 3 pounds lighter. Mine might be a pound or so heavier as it has the optional Thinsulate insulation in it. It fits my F5 like a glove with excellent top pressure points to hold it snug. I also got the custom Colorado Case cover which is similar to the Price case cover except it has an outer pocket on the top which is nice. With Calton cases really hard to find new and Pegasas so far away with extra shipping charges, and Price cases slow in production, the Hoffee is the way to go today for USA buyers. While the price is high it is in line with what the other high end case makers are charging. I couldn't be happier.
    I'm assuming that since the Hoffee case is put together based upon customer's specs, it will hold a mandolin with a Toneguard. The Price case I saw would not.

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    I'm assuming that since the Hoffee case is put together based upon customer's specs, it will hold a mandolin with a Toneguard. The Price case I saw would not.
    The Hoffee was made to the specs of my Campanella mandolin. I tried it with the tone guard and it still fits. Its just a little tight.
    Matthew

Are you speaking primarily about the sides or both the sides and amount the instrument is raised up in it's cradle increasing the downward pressure frome the cover when closed and latched. Anyone have a dialog with Mr. Hoffee about using a tone guard in a custom fit without it figured in?

I guess the picture Jim showed us of his looseness of the neck cradle over a short period of time on his Peg. has me wondering if using a tone guard would permanently alter the interior making it loose if the instrument were installed without the tone guard. The only other consideration is pressure being put on the top and bridge of the instrument when the guard is installed?