Thread: Battery Powered Amplifier

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Battery Powered Amplifier

A couple of weekends ago I had to good fortune to be invited to a bluegrass jam session where the folks were encouraging the use of electric instruments, specifically a pedal steel, guitar and eMando. The host had a few Roland battery powered Micro Cube amps and I found they worked really well. The overall volume fit in really well with the acoustic instruments and having just a touch of reverb really helped the electrics fit in. Anyway, I bought one yesterday/

Realizing that this would not be for all jam sessions, are others maybe finding some acceptance of tasteful (use whatever definition you like) electric instruments in acoustic jams? Any other battery powered amps that folks are using?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Default Re: Battery Powered Amplifier

Hi Pete
    What are you running into it?
    Craig

A Jonathan Mann 5-string octave baritone emando.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

4. The following members say thank you to mandopete for this post:

Friend has a Baritone Uke sized Bass, that requires an amp to work..

I had an electro-harmonix battery amp 20 years ago,
    a friend was going to an equatorial pacific island,

we traded, I got his whole LP collection, in the trade..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

While I mostly run my Tele and Mandobird through it, I like my Fender Mini-Mustang's tone and volume. I bought it to use as a travel/practice amp, as my 30 watt Roland Cube is too much when others are in the house (even with the 2 amp button, I feel the tone suffers at very low volumes...sounds great turned up a little, though). That said, I think the controls on the Micro-Cube are a bit more intuitive (I still haven't memorized all of the effects pre-sets on the Mustang, which are only outlined in the owner's manual and a little more difficult to dial in than those on the Cube). My A/E mando is on loan at the moment, so haven't had the chance to run it through any of the Mustang's settings, yet. The Cube's "acoustic" setting is definitely nice to have...

But, for blending an electric instrument into an acoustic mix, I think the Mustang would work quite well...good tone at even the lowest volumes I've played it at...
    Chuck

Yeah, I was wondering about the Mustang Mini. I have a Super Champ XD that I like, but was originally interesterd in the Mustang III with it's USB inteface and ability to utilize the the Fender Fuse software. But like you say, it's probably not intuitive and ultimately that's why I opted for a Super Champ XD over the Mustang.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I attend an acoustic jam where one guy brings a battery-powered Crate amplifier (appears to be 30 Watt) with a vocal mic for the singers to use. Works well as used. When it's my turn, I play my mandolin through it, as I DO NOT sing.
    Lee

I just looked at the specs for the Crate TX15 Taxi Amp. I assume that this unit has a rechargeable battery in it as it did not say anything about what kind of batteries it uses. I would think in this day and age of environmental concerns more manufaturers would be making something that was a rechargable unit.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

I've gotten a lot of use over the past decade from Fender Amp Cans. The Amp Can is my basic "playing at the nursing home" amp; I run a mic into each of the two channels –– cheap Samson low-impedance dynamic mics, with line transformers -- and use the "Mic" channel for vocals, the "Guitar" channel for instruments (usually acoustic guitar, banjo, and ukulele).

Since the mic signals are apparently a lot "hotter" than those from pickups, I rarely run the gain over 2 or 2.5. There's a fairly effective "tone knob" EQ control. The Amp Can has a rechargeable gel battery and will go perhaps 3-4 hours on a charge. I have two, which I alternate, and one's on the charger at all times.

There's a "Gain" button that overdrives the "Guitar" channel, if you want to play "grunge mandolin," but I never use it. Not as sophisticated in terms of tone controls as some of the other amps mentioned above, but I've found mine to be real workhorses.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Yeah, I liked the Fender amp can too. It's a shame they don't make those anymore.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

My amp can battery ceased to hold a charge after about 14 years.
    Jim Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My amp can battery ceased to hold a charge after about 14 years.
    I get about five years out of mine, but I'm using them nearly daily. Pay about $40 for new battery and installation; amortized over 60 months that ain't too bad.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

These are the same battery as used in security alarms, emergency lights and some small UPS systems. As long as you find one that physically fits and has the same voltage (12v) and approximate rating (4.5 AH) you can find them for under $15.

http://www.batteryspace.com/sealedle...cylightss.aspx
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Back in the day (a quarter century ago) I had something called a Mouse. It was about a cubic foot in size, shaped something like a monitor, trapezoidal cross-section, so the speaker was set at an angle from the floor. It had an internal battery and a charger, maybe an 8" speaker, and had either an overdrive switch or just produced a nice warm distortion when pushed all the way. I didn't bring it to acoustic jams too much - seemed to get frowned upon - but used it a lot for gigs and recordings. Some of the best tracks I have ever laid down were with that little baby. I think the battery wore out or something, I forget.

Next was a Peavey Audition 20. Runs off AC or two 9-volt batteries (typically get soft after an hour or so, dead by two, rather frustrating). Has three tone knobs, pre- and post-gain options, and produces a reasonable sound.

Then a little over a year ago I picked up a Pignose Hog - 30 amps of fun. It has an internal battery and charger, and I have yet to run the battery down. It's pretty hefty, again an 8" speaker, and sounds a bit more real than the Peavey.

I'm not sure if I would use either of these for an acoustic jam, though. Seems a bit much. Then again, there aren't many jams here, that I know of. Seems jamming is the last thing working musicians here want to do in their off time. But I do recall seeing small Pignose amps at bluegrass festivals, the ones that hooked to a belt, but I have no idea about their fidelity.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Carvin has a Battery powered PA cabinet , with pole socket in the bottom (& an extension cabinet , too)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    Realizing that this would not be for all jam sessions, are others maybe finding some acceptance of tasteful (use whatever definition you like) electric instruments in acoustic jams?
    While this happens, and can be done tastefully and to good effect, I shy away from this in general. Its a slippery slope.

The only electric instrument I have no problem with is a piano, (I know, not a BG jam) because 99% of the time in my experience the piano player plays tastefully and is careful not to overwhelm, and also the pay off is huge considering what a piano can add to a jam. I am most nervous about an electric bass, - my experience is just the opposite of that with piano.

Were I to approach a jam with an amp, I would be careful to ask permission from the jam leader and others before hand, and put it away if there is the slightest objection from anyone.

In my opinion the goal is always to play with the jammers, not to be heard over the jammers. While the distinction is clear when written here, in real life the distinction can get realy slip and fuzzy.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Roland AC-30. Sounds great and is very light (11 lbs).

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    The only electric instrument I have no problem with is a piano, (I know, not a BG jam) because 99% of the time in my experience the piano player plays tastefully and is careful not to overwhelm, and also the pay off is huge considering what a piano can add to a jam. I am most nervous about an electric bass, - my experience is just the opposite of that with piano.
    Wow, that's cool. I have been wanting to buy an electric piano for awhile now. I had both a Fender Rhodes and a Wurlitzer back in the day and think I would lean towards the Wurlitzer since it's a lot less weight and some even have built in speakers. Not sure if I could get away with it in a bluegrass jam, but if the music turns towards a country vein, then I think it's fair game.

Now amplified bass is pretty well acceptable around here. Whether it's an bass guitar, EUB or even a Kala uke bass, since the days of Hot Rize it's not odd at all to see one at a bluegrass jam.

Like you say, it's how the instrument is played in combination of the volume and tone. It's not for everyone, but when it works it's a lot of fun.
    2015 Chevy Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    I just looked at the specs for the Crate TX15 Taxi Amp. I assume that this unit has a rechargeable battery in it as it did not say anything about what kind of batteries it uses. I would think in this day and age of environmental concerns more manufaturers would be making something that was a rechargable unit.
    I got one of these off CL pretty cheap. It's really a mini-PA and works great. Very full sound. It has a rechargable battery that will run for something like 6 hours off a full charge. It doesn't have effects like reverb, so I use a pedal for the effects I want.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

For about $100, the Vox Mini 3 is really impressive. You can lift it with a finger...literally. It's got a whole lot of presets for different amp models onboard, more than the Roland Cube as far as I can tell, and a nice selection of of reverb settings for when you gotta go there. Runs on ac or dc, and not specialty batteries either. For a small amp, those 3 watts can be heard. And for a jam setting, do you really need much more?

NFI.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Alesis has a portable battery amp that seems to work well. My friend has the earlier model, and still uses it on occasion. It has an iPod plug in to play with and lots of other settings. The nice thing about it is that it has a pull-up handle and wheels to roll it to your gig.

Alesis TransActMX: $299
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TransActMX-large.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	90140

Alesis TransActive Mobile: $199
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49944.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	90141

Sweetwater sells both of them.

Jeff
    Last edited by Fstpicker; Aug-08-2012 at 12:55am.