Thread: Loar 300 -- Loar 220?

Default Loar 300 -- Loar 220?

The Loar 300 has a very nice headstock inlay and, presumably, slightly prettier wood (depending on the particular instrument).

Is there any other difference between the two that might warrant a price difference of $50 (used) or $100 (new)? A 220 for $200 or a 300 for $250? Whatta ya'll think?

Default Re: Loar 300 -- Loar 220?

Can't comment on these 2, but I just got a 520 and can recommend the brand highly!
    Bulldog #24

Just do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable vendor thats going to properly setup said mandolin unless you're capable. Then jist find the cheapest one and get it all set. I also recently bought a 520 and aside from needing a total setup, its been a great mandolin for less than four bills.

Thanks for the useful comments, especially about setup, etc. but I'm still wondering about a comparison between the 220 and the 300.

Is there any other difference between the two that might warrant a price difference of $50 (used) or $100 (new)? A 220 for $200 or a 300 for $250? Whatta ya'll think?
    The 300 tends to have slightly better tone, but they are very close to one another.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Not to be fussy (I could have said "picky" but that would reveal my terrrible banjo-playing past) ... but the specs seem the same; why would the tone be better?

Thanks,

b99

We try to overlook peoples past, even if it involves banjo playing.

The LM-300 gets slightly better woods. Past that, there may be more time spent on the graduation. I have not verified this part, but it would account for the improved tone.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger