Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sobell cittern at Music Emporium

Thumbs up Sobell cittern at Music Emporium

Hey CBOM pals -

First, the disclaimer... NFI... just a mando-tasting report

I happened to be in Boston last weekend, and made a trip into Music Emporium expressly for the purpose of playing the Sobell Cittern (cocobolo... the one that is posted in the classifieds). I've been considering whether I might like to add a 5 course instrument to my collection, and figured I might as well try a really good one.

The Sobell did not disappoint. First of all, it is drop-dead gorgeous and in excellent condition, especially considering it is 30 years old. The workmanship is impeccable. The herringbone purfling is beautiful. And the neck joint is damn near invisible... really, I was LOOKING and could barely see how it all fit together. The sound was also exceptional... very balanced across the courses and up the neck, hard strumming didn't overdrive it, and delicate picking still rang true. Playability was good in terms of action - I struggled a bit with the scale and wider neck, but I think these were my limitations, not those of the instrument. It was more headstock-heavy than I am accustomed to, but again, that is endemic to the instrument's need for 10 tuners.

Anyway... I just couldn't find anything remotely wrong with it. It's one of those "if I win the lottery" instruments for me, as the price tag is well beyond my means at this time. But I just thought I'd share the experience here. I've played a couple of other Sobell's (om's) which were also great, but not quite as headstock-and-shoulders above the rest as this one is, in my opinion.

KE

ps. I also played some excellent guitars, and if anyone out there wants to support my newly acquired dream of purchasing the Santa Cruz Janis Ian model they have there, I wouldn't object. *(-;
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Default Re: Sobell cittern at Music Emporium

Oh-- and while I was there, I also sampled the mandos they had in stock. The ones that stood out to me were the Phoenix bluegrass, Arches flattop oval, and the Sumi + Collings F4's... also the Eastman f4 was much better than I'd expected.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Karen - Please stop :-)

Clark
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.

Karen, you homewrecker...

sorry folks. misery loves company... *(-;
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excellent review, Karen.

Your experiences, and your comments brought something to light I never really had realized: I owned a Sobell OM years ago and, much like you, was enamored with the amazing way Mr. Sobell crafts his instruments. I haven't come across many that were as well made as that OM.

But! I also own an Arches FT Oval and looking at it, and recollecting on the Sobell I can draw many similarities in the build between the two.

Chris builds in an induced arch, much the same way Sobell does, fretwork is immaculate, and Fit & form is absolutely top notch.

That little flat top will knock you off your feet if you're not careful!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Unbelievably pretty. The only reason (I tell myself) I don't want one is that is slides off my lap.

Buy a strap.

Personally the Trillium in the classifieds would be my choice.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Same here, I need something in my wallet to keep my posture straight...

Well, if I buy a strap, then I'll have to buy the Sobell...

There you go.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

That is a beautiful instrument Karen -- just use your house as collateral and get it!

The top wood looks like some kind of cedar?

I had the chance to play a Sobell cittern last summer -- I was in a Irish music jam here in Cincinnati and the guy next to me had one - - it looked almost identical to the one in the Classifieds except I would say the scale was more like 17" (~mandola size) -- anyway he suggested that we exchange instrument for a few tunes -- I had my 1921 F-4 - so we did.

I certainly enjoyed the experience -- the sustain and resonance from the Sobell was awesome. The fretboard was awkward for me -- very wide. But I have a bandurria (6 courses) so that helped a little

He called his instrument a cittern like this one -- is there a typical scale length that is a true cittern -- or the only requirement 5 courses in 5ths'?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    There you go.
    Dang, Mary, that was a trap.

I'm actually tempted to sell a few little-used instruments to get that. Want to buy an 1880 S.S. Stuart presentation-grade fretless banjo, or maybe an A2-Z?

The Trillium is very tempting.....

Charlie, sorry. but I bought a Trillium Mandola last weekend. although I am still trying to figure out how to get that octave. I've had two sobells. I prefer the Trillium.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Charlie, sorry. but I bought a Trillium Mandola last weekend. although I am still trying to figure out how to get that octave. I've had two sobells. I prefer the Trillium.
    Glad you chimed in on that, as I'm just starting to look at OM-like things. Have 'cello, but it's limited.

I would love to have the problem of choosing between a Sobell and a Trillium.
    I had a Trillium OM -- it was indeed an excellent instrument. The scale (22.5) was too long for me, which was part of the impetus for having Brian Dean make my shorter scale OM. I'm quite happy with what I have...so I don't regret the one that "got away"... but I can certainly vouch for the quality of the Trillium.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob now makes a 19 inch instrument that can be strung like a mandola or an octave.

that was just mean.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it was not meant as mean. i was just offering facts.

I know. just playin
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

if you ever get back towards Boston I can offer a free session with one, or more of the 19" specimens.

Thanks, Mary, that could happen... and if so, it would be great to do that!
    The reason for my recent trip up there is my partner's son was auditioning at Berklee... also, her parents live in the area. So if he gets in, and even if he doesn't, the chances that I'll be up in that area again are pretty good. I'll take a Trillium for a test drive any old day!
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by otterly2k View Post
    Thanks, Mary, that could happen... and if so, it would be great to do that!
    The reason for my recent trip up there is my partner's son was auditioning at Berklee... also, her parents live in the area. So if he gets in, and even if he doesn't, the chances that I'll be up in that area again are pretty good. I'll take a Trillium for a test drive any old day!
    What instrument? There's always New England Conservatory and Boston Conservatory if he's gotta be in Boston!

Anytime, Karen. Spend the day and "play through the vault here."