Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sobell cittern at Music Emporium

Default Re: Sobell cittern at Music Emporium

@Charlie-
    guitar, but not classical, which is why he's applying to Berklee and not a conservatory. It's not Boston that is the draw for him. And I don't think they teach death metal at the conservatories...

Thanks, Mary. Will keep that in mind next time I'm in the neigborhood...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Death metal? Bet you're glad he's off to college. On the flip side, when in high school, my son listened to Marilyn Manson and sang in a really bad punk band. Now that he's through college, he plays banjo and fiddle in a couple of old-time bands in Durango. Of course, that may have been a mistake; probably would have made some money in punk...

We listened to Led Zeppelin when I was at Manhattan School of Music. Then went into rehearsal and played Wagner.

It's all music.
    Last edited by Mandobar; Mar-14-2012 at 7:25am.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

To be fair to the applicant, he likes death metal a lot, but is quite a versatile guitarist.
    But yeah, I'll be glad for him to launch... for a lot of reasons, mostly b/c it's time and will be really good for him.
    and maybe my ears will stop bleeding...
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now now, it's all art and it could be worse.

when does he find out if he gets in? There is an excellent blues and rock guitar teacher, Tomo Fujitsa (I think that's his last name).

and now back to big mandos……Charlie did you buy the Trillium?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

No, no Trillium yet. Have one daughter just starting to drive, which eats up a bit 'o cash, and she just got a new violin (instrument allowance depleted) and my wife's violin is in the shop, which'll be a hunk of cash gone, too. I will sell a few things though that aren't getting used to be able to get an OM. It's the one thing I don't have in the mandolin family, and I think it'll be far more useful than the 'cello. Plus, my fingers are getting a little cranky to be able to move quickly enough to make a mandolin sound interesting... I'd be curious if anyone has any feedback on Joe Cleary's Campanella OM. He built my daughter's violin, and it's very impressive for the cost. It'd be more than the Trillium, so that's something to consider. Plus, I do like the sound of the Sobell's, and if the Trillium's deliver that at less cost, it's a home run.
    Last edited by Charlieshafer; Mar-14-2012 at 5:23pm. Reason: spelling, poor as usual

Charlie, I have two Trillium mandolas (one is out on loan), but if I head down to see George Youngblood I will see if we can't meet and you can try mine. It is 19" scale and can be strung as an octave also. My cittern is out on loan to a wicked young player here, otherwise I'd have that along too.

I have an Eastman cello, but was thinking I might string it as an octave, then again I "speak mandola" so it's not really an issue.

I have a Campanella mandolin too! I could bring that along.

Mary- hopefully by the end of the month

sorry to derail the thread
    let's keep to cbom bizness...

Charlie- I hope you get a chance to try out a Trillium. They are excellent indeed.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, they are, Karen. We have three individuals in the mandolin ensemble at the Concord Community Music School who own and play them as well as our fearless leader David Surette.

I know it's apples and oranges but comparing the two Sobell mandolins I've owned to the one Trillium octave I have, the Sobells emerge the winners. The Trillium is great, mind you, but the Sobells (the one in my avatar that I still have and the large-bodied mandolin I traded for a nice guitar) are other-worldly. I think part of this judgment is just being more acclimated to the sound of a mandolin than the sound of an octave. Alas, the Trillium goes largely unplayed now that I'm spending more time with 6-string than 8-string instruments.
    Bob DeVellis

Depends on the age of your Trillium. Bob has really hit his stride on the last few that I have played. We're also talking big mandos here too. Not mandolins. Bob does however make an really great oval hole a mandolin. I've been working on him to make one for me.

I had my cittern restrung just as it went off on loan. I played it when I picked it up and I thought, wow. It's like a string quartet all by itself.

The octave that was in the classifieds was one of the liveliest octaves I have ever played.

Well, looks like I'll have to try them all. I've played only one Sobell, and it was magic, but going with a local builder is always very appealing. Mary, if you do make it to George's, do give a yell. I have a few things that might be fun to play, also. Plus, if you need lunch or dinner, and don't mind sharing a meal with two teenage girls, a relatively normal wife, a psycho black lab and two chain smoking cats, we can make a night of it. Maybe put together a low-key session.

Sounds good, Charlie. I'll let you know.

i was drooling over that sobel as well. i have a nathan currie made instrument. it's a bit rough in the fine finish but very very big sound. sobels have long intrigued me. i like my 21 1/2 inch scale and maybe woud like a shorter one. i stared on a greek bouzouki which was an old one and sounds great but it has a very long scale so although the cittern is faster to play i sometimes miss the twang of a good greek bouzouki--(you don't need to tell me that most greek bouzoukis have limitations). so i wonder if i'd actuaslly prefer a 17 to 20 inch scale. a sobel has the big scale. so i am a bit flumoxed. it remains great eye candy.i have a big check comming soon and it's very tempting.explaining it to the wife might be a chaqllenge--but i could try and hide it for a while--but damn she occasionally cleans my music room.

i did some reading on cocobolo and several luthiers prefer it to brazilian rosewood so that sobel is likely a gem.

i have never heard of or played a trilium. where are they made?

Trilliums are played by some very well-known players, John Doyle, David Surette, Mick Moloney to name a few. Bob has a few of these folks up on his website.

My new Trillium mandola is made out of mango and redwood. who'd have thought, but it is a sweet sounding instrument with a lot of volume and projection.

iwas looking at that sobel as well. i am thinking of getting a nrew high end cittern. however i am leaning to a short scale, 20 inch maximium. but i did a little research and found several luthiers who prefer cocobolo to brazilian rosewood(it;s a cousin mostly found in central america)/ they siad the tonal qualities are better in high end cocobolo. so i bet that's a beauty to listen to. i started on a grteek bouzouki (i know i know they have limitations but mine was an old one that was better built than most--and i still play it) so i am tired of the long scale for tune playing. with a short scale you can play the mandolin range right down to the low end of he bouzouki. that sobel is lower pitched and would be a fabulous instrument for song accompinyment, and counter melody but i wonder ho fadst you could play the celtic jigs and reels--which is my main thing. i flunked at cae breton fiddle when young so i play those tunes on mandos of all types.

i have never heard a trillium. i am curious.i have a nathan currie from ottawa. it's not nearly as fine a finish work but it's sounf rivals the sobels i used to hear on the wesy coast, but it's a 22 inch scale--who knew i might want it shorter some day? and taking a knife and wittling it down seems a poor choice.

when i was in the uk i was very impressed by gibson's (new english guy named gibson) and buchannan's flattops. i am still hunting fot the right one for me.