Thread: freshwater octave vs weber sage in classified?

Default freshwater octave vs weber sage in classified?

Any comments about comparing these 2 instruments? I am searching for an octave mando.

Default Re: freshwater octave vs weber sage in classified?

Go with the Weber. Can't go wrong there. I had one before and liked it a lot.

Blog Entries

I'd say this is a fine endorsement of Weber OM, Eva Holbrook playing Bach, posted by Rodney Riley in the Classical area:

Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Tom, is there much difference in sound quality between the carved top Weber and the flat top basic weber OM?

Having played several of each, based on the sound each produced I would buy the Freshwater. The Freshwaters had much more presence and tone. The Weber Sages I have played were surprisingly subdued. After playing both brands, I bought a Petersen because the Foley I fell in love with greatly exceeded my budget.

I've always been surprised that given Weber's presence and deserved popularity in the mandolin market, you don't hear a lot about their octaves and if anyone would hear a lot it would be us. I've never played one or seen one though I know a fair number of zouk players.
    Steve

Personally, I'm not a fan of Weber OM's, although I like some of their mandos. I've found the OM's to be rather heavy in construction, which renders them less responsive than I like. I also find their necks to be clubby in my hand, and prefer a narrower neck profile. These are my preferences, though, and yours might be different.

Another bit of info to note... if you are only considering the ones in the Classifieds... that Sage is in Australia, which might add substantially to the cost once shipping is involved.

Recent experience has shown me that there are quite a lot of underplayed OM's out there in the mando community, and if you put an inquiry up in the Wanted section of the classifieds, you might find you have more options than what is currently posted for sale.

KE
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Webers are occasionally mentioned here. Sometimes by me. I play a Weber Yellowstone Traditional F OM, and it's a beautiful beast.

If Weber's don't get as much mention here as other lines like Trinity College, Petersen, Mid-Mo, etc., I think it basically comes down to price. They're expensive, especially in the higher-end carved archtop models (the Sage is the only flattop in their OM line). The one in the video above looks like it might be a Yellowstone A, and those run about $3,200. My Yellowstone F Traditional is currently priced at $5,500, and the only reason I could afford it was having the luck to find one used, at half price. That's a lot of money to risk, if you're not sure an OM will find a long-term place in your musical arsenal.

I think there is also something of a cultural bias against the "Big Gibson" style of carved archtop OM for use in certain musical styles like Irish trad, but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

I don't think price is the issue because they don't come up often in discussions about the big boys (Sobell, Foley, Abnett, Crump Forster, Fylde, Brock, etc) price point considerations either. I don't have an agenda other than finding it curious.
    Steve

I think I will go with the Weber as I found one in top shape second hand in Canada for 1000. Don't have to deal with customs Canada, sometimes a real headache!,
    I suppose I should be able to retrieve this if I am unhappy!
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions...Really helps having the support...
    Once I get it I will give you my feedback...

Yes, I agree with Karen, it's not price that drives down their OM sales, it's the build. They do nice work in the looks department, but their physical designs are pretty clunky. At least that's been the case with the several I have played. The most recent being a very nice sounding 5-course cittern. It sounded pretty decent, but the neck was huge. Their 4-course necks are big, and that extra course made this one a bit uncomfortable in my hands. It had a good case of neck dive as a result.

I've owned 5, or 6 of their mandos over the years and they have been nice, but the big body stuff... meh.

I still haven't committed myself to the instrument and the last few replies are making me reconsider.
    I appreciate the comments! This sage was built in 2005.

Barry, I wouldn't worry too much about overall build quality of a Weber OM. I don't understand the "clunky" comment above, except maybe in the sense that the design aesthetic is more Gibson-derived than European bouzouki-derived, which tend to be more lightly built instruments.

The one area where I do agree with the above comments is the neck shape. It's a fairly deep "U" that fills your hand, and not like a contemporary shallow arch guitar neck. Mandolin necks are also deep, but you don't notice as much because the width is so narrow and the scale is short. Scale that up to OM size (which is basically what Weber is doing), and it's a very non-guitar-type neck in your hand.

Personally, I don't find it a problem, but then I'm a 6'2" guy with large (but not huge) hands, and I always use a strap that prevents neck dive. People with smaller hands might have a problem, although Eva in that video above doesn't seem to have much trouble playing Bach, and Sierra Hull is rippin' on this video where she's playing the fancier (Fern) version of the Yellowstone F:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv-P6...eature=related

fp- I don't have any trouble with the aesthetic of the big-Gibson approach, I like the look. But structurally, they are different beasts. I prefer the playability and tonality and dynamic range of the more "lightly built" instruments. Honestly, I felt the same way about an Old Wave OM (mando shaped, not GOM) that I tried at one of the CBOM-o-rama's we held here. I have the utmost respect for Bill Bussman, and the instrument was beautiful and sounded great...but compared to Trillium, Sobell, Crump, B.Dean, Spira, SOS, even the less fancy and less expensive "onion on a stick" varieties, etc... just a whole different playing experience. I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with them... just not my cup of tea.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I understand what you are saying but some of the instruments I have been following on the classified were beautiful luthier made instruments. I seriously considered the Trillium (that went fast), the Sobell looks beautiful. An Octave Mando will be an adjunct to my playing instruments. So I am looking for a compromise between quality and tone for me to try one out! Also there doesn't seem to be many around. In Canada we have to pay duty and 15% taxes and brokerage fees for any item brought in from the United States where most of the choice of instruments lies.

Not an octave, but Joel McDermott can really make this Weber mandocello sound lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsnreQkekzg
    David A. Gordon

I bought the instrument! The person selling had 2 other buyers waiting in line to take it!
    BOY Eva and Joel can play well....Quite motivating...
    Thank you for all the help....
    Barry

Good move I would say.
    If I lived in Canada, was in the market for something like a Weber and found one for 1K in Canada - that seems to me a no brainer really.
    David A. Gordon

Let us know how you like it when you get it, Barry.
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surprising that I received my Weber OM through Canada post so quickly. I expected it to take 2 weeks!
    Tuned it up, adjusted the bridge position and started her/ him up! Is an OM a him or a her?
    The instrument sounds lovely. It is not a loud instrument. It has a delicate sound. I was surprised at how nice it sounded
    As lots of the replies to this thread haven't been very positive towards this weber instrument. I will agree that the neck is a bit cumbersome and probably more staulky then it pobably needs to be; However the neck is straight amd the intonation is right on according to my ears and my electronic tuner. The workmanship and finish on the instrument is beyond what I expected but I never touched a Weber before today. From the entries above I guess I began to second guess myself. I am sure I will enjoy playing this instrument from how it feels just having it for a few hours.
    Cheers to ail

I had a Weber Big Sky OM and it was by far the best OM I have ever played. Of course with a list price of $7,000 it was also the most expensive OM I have ever played...