Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get started for a Newbie

Default How to get started for a Newbie

I have listened to Bluegrass for a while, and finally decided to try to learn to play the mandolin. When I was a kid I took piano lessons for a little bit, and even tried my hand at the violin. I enjoyed both, but never did much past that.

I picked up my mandolin from a local shop, and have been looking around at MandoLessons.com and a few other sites including this one. I also ordered a couple books through MelBay when they ran their special last week. I have been going through the beginner series on MandoLessons, and I am almost done. Although I still need more work.

So I guess my question is where do I go from here? Thoughts?

knows little

Default Re: How to get started for a Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by richardwills View Post
    So I guess my question is where do I go from here? Thoughts?
    Where do you see yourself going? What do you expect of yourself and your instrument? Why do you play, and for whom? Are you happy to play for yourself and to hell with any listeners? Do you want to be a fair-to-middling or whiz-bang player working out at jam sessions? Do you feel a need for attention, or perfection? Could you thrive in a group? Do you, and should you, sing as you play? Do you sound better on very costly mandolins?

The basics ae pretty straightforward. Practice practice practice. Learn scales, chords, and sight-reading. Practice more. Copy famous or infamous or even just catchy solos and riffs. Find voices you like, then find your own voice. Play your mandolin many hours each day till it becomes an extension of you. Figure out if you need goals. Me, I just play.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hypoxia For This Useful Post:

Where do you go from here? Straight to the poor house.

Seriously, my advise is get a metronome and start your practice with scales, scale patterns, and arpeggios. Maybe the first third of your practice time on this and reward yourself with some fiddle tunes, and while you're at it, learn to comp the chords behind the melody. You'll never know when someone will want to play with you.

If possible, take a few lessons just to make sure you aren't forming any bad habits.

Whatever you do, make sure your mandolin is properly set up. Soon enough you will want a really good mandolin. See first statement.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

My advice ? Don't start and quit while you are ahead and still sane !! You will spend all your time practicing and never be as good as you want or can ! You will be frustrated that a ten year old can pick up the mandolin and begin playing Bluegrass much better than you ! You will waste your time ( according to your wife) reading and posting on the Mandolincafe ! You will never be satisfied with your current mandolin and always lust for another upgrade ! You will start with cheap picks and eventually upgrade to BC picks which will cause you to take out a loan at the bank ! You will read all the threads on strings and spend a lot of money and time looking for that magic string set which will make you sound better, but won't ! You will eventually want an Ellis, Gilchrist, Wienman ( am I in trouble again ? ) or other high end mandolins ! Anyway, save yourself time and money and just-------------------- enjoy the journey and get going on your mandolin journey !! Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination !

L

7. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Welcome, Learn as much as possible! My Gramps told me long ago if you learn something new everyday be it a chord, lick, scale, song etc..You'll eventually be a pretty good player. It may come easy and you'll be a phenomenal player! Remember let the mandolin do the work don't strain yourself. And yes if ya stick with it you'll have visions of high end mandolins rattling around in your skull, If your like me and most of us obsessed pickers you'll get what ya want. Also it does make it all that much enjoyable if you can start out on a pretty decent mandolin. I started out on pretty much junk back in the early 90's, a old small body kay guitar and a handmade mando that was one that my Gramps built " sounded good but the set-up was bad, he did OK for just one eye in the end!! I'm thankful!"

9. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    My advice ? Don't start and quit while you are ahead and still sane !! You will spend all your time practicing and never be as good as you want or can ! You will be frustrated that a ten year old can pick up the mandolin and begin playing Bluegrass much better than you ! You will waste your time ( according to your wife) reading and posting on the Mandolincafe ! You will never be satisfied with your current mandolin and always lust for another upgrade ! You will start with cheap picks and eventually upgrade to BC picks which will cause you to take out a loan at the bank ! You will read all the threads on strings and spend a lot of money and time looking for that magic string set which will make you sound better, but won't ! You will eventually want an Ellis, Gilchrist, Wienman ( am I in trouble again ? ) or other high end mandolins ! Anyway, save yourself time and money and just-------------------- enjoy the journey and get going on your mandolin journey !! Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination !

L
    This really struck a (two-finger) chord with me. (maybe Illinois humor or something..) As a newbie myself I can relate. Practice and most importantly, have fun. Also, there is a social group for newbies that you may want to check out.
    Bill

Collings MT
    Eastman 315

11. The following members say thank you to mandoweather for this post:

I was told "If you want it bad enough, you will get it"...So if it is your desire to be a GOOD mandolin player you will try hard to become one...One day every thing will fall into place and you`ll ask yourself, "Why didn`t I figure that out sooner"...For the time being play for your own enjoyment and as you feel more comfortable look for other "newbies" that play guitar and bass and have some jam sessions and before long you will really walking on air...The reward is worth the hard work, if it is work...

Good luck, let us know how you are doing in about 6 months...

Willie

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Welcome to MC, Richard (and MandoWeather, too).

Practice, practice, practice, is the path for better technical skills. But for keeping the fire going, it's got to be somehow, someway, fun. Making progress toward a challenging goal is fun for most folks, so be sure to take a minute every now and then to reflect on where you were last week or last month or last year. Or even just 20 minutes ago.

Whatever you do to improve, 'nice and clean' is much more important than 'faster is better'.

Somebody mentioned finding what kind of tunes you like. With that in mind, always have a tune you are working on and a tune you can play and enjoy playing. When you get totally frustrated with a fingerbuster exercise or scale or picking pattern, just take a break by working on or playing one of those tunes.

I started with the mandolin two and a half years ago and I am still actively learning and having fun.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

All of the comments above are great and so true! One other suggestion, I found two local jams when I had been playing for only about 4 months. It was really hard at first but after a few months I could chop the chords to all of the songs with basic chord progressions. After a few more months I started trying to take breaks on some of the songs I could pick well. After a few more months I started to sing a few songs. After a couple of years I was able to improvise some breaks on songs I didn’t know, etc. By going to a jam every week it forced me to get a little better every week. It also helped me network with the local players and find teachers and other resources. And playing in jams is so much fun!

Good luck!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Repinec For This Useful Post:

Make sure you get a good set up on your mandolin. Attend some jams if there are any near you. Take a couple of lessons to get the basics of chord formations and scales. Try to copy stuff you listen. I got a lot of improvement by trying, and I emphasize trying, to play along with a favorite CD.

19. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

I consider myself a beginner even though I have been attempting to play for several years. I would recommend a DVD from Homespun videos, Bluegrass Slow Jam for the total beginner with Pete Wernick. You can play along if the only thing you know is two finger chords. The tempo is slow and other instruments are in the video. I work nights so I don't have an opportunity for jams in my area, I found a class and ordered this video on its recommendation. I am enjoying the video, lot of practical tips and encouragement.

21. The following members say thank you to teart for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Welcome, Learn as much as possible! My Gramps told me long ago if you learn something new everyday be it a chord, lick, scale, song etc.."
    Thanks bluesgrasser78, I really like the advise your Gramps gave you. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone, lots of great advice above. I will be practicing on my scales, chords and technical skills. I remember enough from the piano and violin that you need a good start to avoid making bad habits from hindering your future success. I plan on taking lessons, and will have to check into the set up of my mandolin.

What books did you get, Richard? Tune books or instructional? Mel Bay has a wealth of mandolin literature (I'm waiting on a couple of things from them myself.)

The Newbies group—HonketyHank has the link in his signature, post #8—is helpful, and there is always someone grappling the same thing you are at any given time. Your violin experience will come in handy. Even if you think you don't remember much, some of it stuck! If you can read standard notation, it will come in handy.

25. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Thanks for the heads up to the link to the Newibes group, I have joined. I ordered three instructional books from Mel Bay, all for beginners. I figure there may be some overlap in the in their content, but all three descriptions were just a little different, so I thought why not. With their promo code I got a good deal on them.

First Lessons with the Mandolin
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/9994...-mandolin.aspx

Fun with the Mandolin
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/9325...-mandolin.aspx

You Can Teach Yourself Mandolin
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/9433...-mandolin.aspx

Those should be interesting. All a little different, and I like seeing different people's approaches. Love Mel Bay's website, where you can look at the book's specs, table of contents, and samples of what it contains.

Thanks Louise, I liked the mix of basic skills, technique and tunes. I agree the Mel Bay website is extremely helpful, I was was excited to discover their promotion on MC last week.

Richard,
    There is no one way or right way to start. The important thing is that you start. It really is a fantastic journey. The thing I love the most about it is that no matter how much you learn, there is always more to be learned. Even David Grissman and Chris Thile have just scratched the surface. Thats because music is infinite. Just dont get discouraged and every time you practice, keep at it until you learn just one new thing. If you never give up you will be surprised how those single things add up over time.

The resources that have been recommended here are all great. Its wonderful to have so much free information at our fingertips on the internet. Youtube is also a fantastic resource for lessons and learning new songs. It is very important that you get off to a good start with playing habits. Its much easier to progress when you learn good habits from the start. It takes 10 times longer to break a bad habit than it doaes to learn a good habit. So I can't stress enough getting a few months of lessons to get you off to a good start. Then its just a matter of learning new songs and practice, practice , practice. As long as you are progressing that practice should be fun and rewarding.

Enjoy the journey. Its a wonderful ride. Just dont quit.

Rick

Ratliff R-5
    Michael Kelly

30. The following members say thank you to rfsettle for this post:

Hey Rick,

I appreciate the encouragement. When I was a kid circumstances outside my control ended both piano and violin for me. I say that, had I pressured my parents to let me start again later they might have let me, but by then I was on to other interests. I have been listening to bluegrass off and on for about 15 years, and have always thought about trying to actually learn an instrument. I finally decided to make that jump.

I have been playing around with my mandolin for about a month maybe a little more. My goal is to be able to join a jam session if I can find one in my area, or maybe even attend a camp one day. I think my next set is to try to get some actual lessons under my belt. You made a good point about "takes 10 times longer to break a bad habit."

Thanks!

[QUOTE=rfsettle;1623494]The resources that have been recommended here are all great. Its wonderful to have so much free information at our fingertips on the internet. Youtube is also a fantastic resource for lessons and learning new songs./QUOTE]

So far what I know I have learned online, but that also prompted me to make this post. There is so much it is a little overwhelming to figure out what I should focus on first. I really should find an instructor soon. I noticed on your profile you play in a bluegrass band and teach mandolin. How long have you been playing the Mandolin? How long have you been teaching?

I try to only listen to music I aspire to be able to play. Your 2 best tools are your ears.
    I listen to many of Tony Rice's old recordings, Chris Thele, Bela Flek's drive and strength in numbers, David Grizman, etc., etc., I avoid pop music. You tube has lessons. My friend Mike Compton teaches on line, and many others I am not aware of. For me music has always been an obsession. Pickin' and more pickin' is a way of life. Joining a band and pickin' everyones brain, is a way of life. I can learn from everyone, what to do and what not to do. There are many things that can only be learned by being in a band and giging and more giging. The joy is in the journey. As long as it's fun Keep on pickin'

34. The following members say thank you to harmonica bob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by richardwills View Post
    Hey Rick,

I have been playing around with my mandolin for about a month maybe a little more. My goal is to be able to join a jam session if I can find one in my area, or maybe even attend a camp one day. I think my next set is to try to get some actual lessons under my belt. You made a good point about "takes 10 times longer to break a bad habit."

Thanks!
    Rick, don't wait too long for that 'one day' to come around. Find a good camp with a track that interests you, and attend it. Don't think you need to be at a specific level before you can attend a camp, there are plenty out there for beginners. Attending the 2015 Mandolin Symposium with just under 9 months of mandolin, my first musical instrument, was an experience I will never forget.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

36. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

I kind of have my eye on the Bill Monroe camp next September. I am thinking that is a good short/long term goal for me. Not sure I will be able to go, but I always work better with a target in mind. Glad to know that you had a great time at a camp right after you began.

Ive been playing mandolin for a little over 10 years. 9 of those years in a local bluegrass Gospel band. We play in the central Florida area. There is a big music scene in the Orlando area but not much in the way of bluegrass bands. So a long time friend of mine who plays banjo and I decided it would be fun to start a bluegrass band and try to rejuvinate some interest in bluegrass in our area. I'd played guitar for over 25 years when I decided to take up mandolin. We were actually playing gigs within 6 months of my starting on the mandolin.

I sympathize with being overwhelmed at first. Theres so much info out there its hard to know where to start. Its the reason I recommended starting off by taking a few lessons from someone who has been doing it a while. I have taught a few friends and family members how to play guitar and a friend or two how to get started playing mandolin. I have been considering setting up on Skype and offering lessons over the internet. I noticed when I was first learning that face to face lessons were very important but after I left the instructors house I tended to forget a lot of what I had been taught. With internet real time instruction you can record the session and play it back over and over and get much more out of the same lesson.

It helps greatly to find people that enjoy playing the same music. If you can find a guitar player or banjo player to jam with regularly who is on a similar skill level, and learn together as you go, it supercharges your progress. Also local jams and music camps can be a good way to learn. the more exposure you have to other musicians the faster you will learn and the more likely you are to stick with it. The festivals, jams, and camps can become a way of life that will be very rewarding.

39. The following members say thank you to rfsettle for this post:

Hey Rick, I just sent you and email through mando cafe.