Thread: Picking Slides

Default Picking Slides

I’m a confirmed DUDDUD jig-picker (and we certainly don’t need another thread on the subject), but I like to pick my slides D-UD-U on the quarter note-eighth note passages (but still DUDD on the eighth-note triplets).

It gives the slides a lighter feel, making them distinctly different from the jigs – similar to playing a Polka DUDU (as opposed to the “punk-reel” DDDD I often hear played).

I’m wondering, How many other DUDDDUD jig-pickers do this?
    Last edited by Jim Bevan; Mar-07-2012 at 6:45pm.

Default Re: Picking Slides

I'm a DUD DUD picker, and try to maintain that picking pattern on jigs, slip jigs and slides!

I asked a question on picking patterns a few years ago that I think pertains here. The gist: the importance of hitting the downstroke on the 1 and 4 for jig patterns--everything else is a choice.

Yes, Vigee, lots of discussion already on jig-picking – the question is, Do you play your slides differently than your jigs?

Hello Jim,

If I understand the question correctly, I play jigs (including slides) as Vigee describes - down stroke on the beginning of each beat (thinking in 2, or on 1 and 4 as Vigee describes). Thus, whether double jig or slide, for a quarter-eighth I would pick D-U. And like Barbara and many others, I use DUD DUD for all eighth notes, except for effect (eg hemeola). Which, from your original post, is also what you are doing?

Well, no – I pick D D on a quarter-eighth in a jig.

I don't play many slides, but like with jigs, I will look at the melody to determine my picking pattern. When learning, I start with DUD DUD. For the record, the first phrase Merrily Kissed the Quaker: DUD D_U D_D DUD.

I generally maintain the DUDDUD pattern in jigs and slides alike. However, I find that playing D-D can feel a little stilted, so I usually catch the string lightly on the upstroke (maybe just one string of the pair - I've never studied my picking in that much detail), which, I think, gives the effect of drawing out the 1/4-note, rather than playing two distinct 1/8-notes. Sometimes, though, playing a single stroke and letting it ring (often in conjunction with a double stop or open string) is a good way to emphasise a particular note.

I cannot say with confidence that I really know how to play a slide on my own, but I think I can lock into the rhythm of someone who does.