Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best mandolin for the money right now? Collings MT-O?

Default Re: What's the best mandolin for the money right now? Collings MT

I haven't cared for any of the Eastman's I've played, but I don't think I'd share that with someone looking to purchase one from me.
    Steve

Electric fiddle and mando

From what I gathered playing all the Mandolins, what I really am looking for is GREAT condition Fender F4 with Oval sound hole, early 1900's made during Loar's tenure. Like this one... http://mandoweb.com/Instruments/Gibs...nure-1922/2585

After playing an A-stryle I really loved the sound and small little frets... So the Eastman was just a tie over until I can save up for and fine a good sounding F4.
    Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Cittern, Bouzouki, & Keys. Diamond, Strymon, Neunaber Technology, Boomerang, DTS, T1m, Radial, Telonics, TC Electronic, Foxrox, Tech 21, and Damage Control Pedals.
    Eleven Rack Grosh, Fender, Taylor, Bridge UK.

you mean Gibson, right, not Fender.

i've had a couple Eastmans. I have a mandocello now. Not sure I'm thrilled. And I have a 305 which was my traveler. It was a bit thin sounding for my tastes. It has since been bumped by my km900. so, it will probably be for sale soon.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Electric fiddle and mando

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    you mean Gibson, right, not Fender.

i've had a couple Eastmans. I have a mandocello now. Not sure I'm thrilled. And I have a 305 which was my traveler. It was a bit thin sounding for my tastes. It has since been bumped by my km900. so, it will probably be for sale soon.
    I did mean Gibson... hahaha

I need to upgrade the Eastman tuners... What is good besides Waverly? Or are the defacto tuners?
    Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Guitar, Bass, Cittern, Bouzouki, & Keys. Diamond, Strymon, Neunaber Technology, Boomerang, DTS, T1m, Radial, Telonics, TC Electronic, Foxrox, Tech 21, and Damage Control Pedals.
    Eleven Rack Grosh, Fender, Taylor, Bridge UK.

I was going to suggest putting Grover or Schaller tuners on, but I believe the 515 already comes with Schaller. So your upgrade options may be somewhat limited from there.

Just curious - are the tuners not working correctly? Are they slipping, or binding? Maybe they need to be 'tweaked' and worked on a bit, which is not unusual. Another thing I notice, is that I find worm under tuners a bit more finicky to use, and they have a harder time staying in tune, than worm over tuners. And since the 515 has worm under tuners (like my Kentucky KM900), you may be noticing the same thing as well.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10strings View Post
    I need to upgrade the Eastman tuners... What is good besides Waverly? Or are the defacto tuners?
    I can't imagine putting $400 Waverly tuners on a $450 mandolin. Seems like overkill.

I would keep the Eastman hardware if I were you.

Larry

A Northfield A-Style has to be in the discussion here.

the original thread suggests an oval hole style A. how did we get to an f style with f holes?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

One of my mandolin students just got a lower-end Eastman, and I'll tell ya, it sounds really great. Very woody and open, and a huge step up from the piece 'o crap that she used to have. No financial interest--just a fine-sounding mandolin!