Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gibson A9 on themandolinstore.com

Default gibson A9 on themandolinstore.com

guys there is this used gibson A9 for sale on themandolinstore.com ... anyone out here knows about this mandolin or has played it at somepoint?

will be grateful if someone can tell me about this particular instrument. i am thinking of getting a A9 for quite sometime! perhaps this is the one

thanks
    cheers

Default Re: gibson A9 on themandolinstore.com

You might contact the store and ask if they can send you a sound clip ... or if you don't mind making an international call, you could ring and ask about it, maybe even hear it over the phone.

It appears to be newly arrived there, so there may not be anyone who's gone in to play it yet.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

thats a good idea! ill probably do that. but i was hoping perhaps the earlier owner is also on this forum?

I played one when they first came out and liked it a lot.

Registered User & Abuser

Just in case you don't know from reading in this here forum, you can not go wrong buying from The Mandolin Store. The store most likely got it on a trade for an upgrade to something else because of MAS.
    Call and ask to speak to Dennis and have him play it for you over the phone and give you his personal opinion of how it compares to other A-9's that he's played as well as other equally priced instruments that he's got in the store. You might be paying a tad more $$ than finding one privately or here in the classifieds but what you are paying for is The Mandolin Store's experienced instrument "set up" and their EXCELLENT customer service.
    There was a production change around late 2003 early 04 to 'the better' when they upgraded to a bone nut (from Corian) and Grover tuners (from Schallers). The stain colors went from dark walnut stain when introduced in 2002 to the lighter affectionately called 'baby poop' color to sunburst at the end of production in 2010 (unless they are still making them). Anybody's welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I bought a 2002 A9 from the Mandolin Store some years ago. Great mandolin and great service! The only reason I let it go was that the 1 1/16" nut was a bit on the narrow side for me. That's a personal preference thing though..Good luck with whatever you choose to buy!

thanks FWBOB you post really helped me deciding on the mando! wish me luck!

thanks everyone! the A9 is mine! just hoping that it comes in one piece... when it reaches me it will have travelled more distance than i ever have!

Congrats. Can't wait to see what you can do with the A9. I really enjoy some of your videos. Keep it up

Registered User & Abuser

diptanshu,
    Thank you and congrats on your A-9. Now you'll know 1st hand why people use the term "woody" when they describe the 'traditional' sound of a Gibson mandolin. More than likely, you'll welcome the pleasing differences in sound & feel from your Eastman. Dennis sold me a 515 that I had for a year. Expect way more of a louder & beefier 'chop' & less of a pronounced V neck shape w/ more neck girth. I don't mind the flatter board or the smaller nut when I go from my MT to my A9. In the future, you may want to replace and upgrade the corian nut that was factory installed with a bone nut for better sounding open strings AND when you wear those skinny frets out, get a stainless or EVO re-fret. Keep us posted. As an A-9 owner, we may be an extinct breed since Gibson doesn't seem to be making them anymore.

diptanshu,
    Congratulations on getting the Gibson. I watched your video of Blakes' March, great playing by the way. It looks like your playing an Eastman, so you should notice a great difference with the A9. It will be louder and have a fuller tone. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diptanshu View Post
    thanks everyone! the A9 is mine! just hoping that it comes in one piece... when it reaches me it will have travelled more distance than i ever have!
    Congrats diptanshu! I remember your comment of a couple of years ago that you were going to get a Gibson and now you've done it --- good move and here is wishing a good journey for the A9!!!!!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Congrats diptanshu! I remember your comment of a couple of years ago that you were going to get a Gibson and now you've done it --- good move and here is wishing a good journey for the A9!!!!!!
    i wanted a A9 mandolin for long... i will need lifestyle changes to payfor it slowly... but it will be worth it i guess. cant wait to have it in my hand.

cant wait to have the mandolin in my hand... it might take quite long, becoz things get help up at customs at times... i hope i get it soon! will let you guys when i get it... with a video clip of course! thanks everyone for the good wishes!

JUST GOT MY BABY! its such an awesome feeling! the mandolin sounds great to me! but this is the very first gibson i ever played!

videos to follow!

Registered User & Abuser

Well, now that you have had ithe A-9 for a while, how does it compare to the mandolins you have had before as far as feel, sound, craftsmanship, etc. etc.??

Looking forward to your review. Just checked out your videos - GREAT playing!!

Likewise looking forward to your report. I am also enjoying watching your YouTube clips.

rm

Quote Originally Posted by diptanshu View Post
    JUST GOT MY BABY! its such an awesome feeling! the mandolin sounds great to me! but this is the very first gibson i ever played!

videos to follow!
    Is your A9 the one with the upgrades? Gold hardware, fingerboard dots, Allen tailpiece, bone nut, and Cumberland Acoustic bridge? It was listed at The Mandolin Store about a month ago?
    Thanks for your support?

thanks guys... i have not played too many mandolin other than a few indian makes (the one i have, plays great for the price i bought it... but its a flattop) i have played a epiphone mm20 and an eastman 615 before (i still have the eastman 615) but the gibson A9 till now is the loudest and the best sounding mandolin i have played so far... its a darker more bassy tone that all the other mandolins i have played... the neck is good and its fairly easy to play. certainly more comfortable than my eastman! so all in all i am a happy man!

hey my A9 is not the one with the upgrades... mine hasnt been altered in anyway!

I've got a nice one in the shop that is available. These are great mandolins.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Great videos!

I loved trading licks with you on your Bluegrass Stomp.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I've had my A9 for years and it kicks the butt of many more expensive models. Loud, woody and very playable.PS: Upgrade to a bone nut. Happy picking.
    She was only a whiskey maker, but he loved her still.

if i am not mistaken i already have a bone nut... ?