Thread: 1923 Regal Style A Mandolin

Default 1923 Regal Style A Mandolin

Hello everyone. I was recently handed down a 1923 Regal Style A Mandolin and I've been looking around the internet for what I could possibly sell it at. I couldn't find anything besides this link, http://www.gbase.com/gear/byid?item=2009695

He has it listed for $999. Mine looks to be almost brand new condition, much better than the one he has up, and even though the case that came along with mine isn't in great condition I still have it. I was wondering if you guys knew anything about the price of this and if it matches with what mike(the link above) has it for? Here is a picture of it, if necessary I can take more pictures. Thank you for your time.

Default Re: 1923 Regal Style A Mandolin

I doubt anyone who knows anything will pay more than one half to one third that price. It should be a good instrument though, if in decent condition, & worth fixing, if not.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

The price in the link is in Hollywood. You can advertise them for as much as you want, and if someone is silly enough to pay that much consider yourself really lucky. They sell on eBay on a fairly regular basis for a fraction of that. I'm curious, how did you date this instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoSquirrel View Post
    I doubt anyone who knows anything will pay more than one half to one third that price. It should be a good instrument though, if in decent condition, & worth fixing, if not.
    I see, it doesn't need any fixing it's pretty much brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The price in the link is in Hollywood. You can advertise them for as much as you want, and if someone is silly enough to pay that much consider yourself really lucky. They sell on eBay on a fairly regular basis for a fraction of that. I'm curious, how did you date this instrument?
    Well I guess I'm not 100% sure it's 1923 but based on comparing looks to the one I linked it's the same exact thing. There is no model number or anything on the mando, just says "The Mark Of Better Instruments, Regal Musical Instrument Co. Chicago," Also, it was handed down to me from my 94 year old grandpa, so he's had it for a very long time. Also, i've looked on ebay and there are only 5 Regal mandolins on there, i've never seen the one I have on there. What do you mean hollywood? When I click on mike's page he has a store in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTOJ View Post
    I... What do you mean hollywood? When I click on mike's page he has a store in Ohio.
    What I mean is that price is probably 4 times what it would sell for and if you watch they show up on eBay fairly regularly. Most of them were never labeled Regal. Regal built "for the trade", that is for music teachers and other retailers to either label as their own or not label at all. Some were labeled for other manufacturers. I ask about the date because I was hoping you had a sales receipt or something.

There are currently two books out that can shed some light on your mandolin. One is Hubert Pleijsier's Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles and the other is Bob Carlin's Regal Musical Instruments: 1895-1955. Both will have some catalog pictures as well information that might get you close to an actual date. Neither will speak about the value. If it is a family heirloom and you intend to keep it then both of these books would go well with it. If you intend to sell it you won't see that high of a price.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Hollywood? Ry Cooder's "Down in Hollywood":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_kbGttueAY

"They'll drag you right out of your car, and kick your azz." One of the best r + r lines ever.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig