Thread: new strings-missing loop

Default new strings-missing loop

did you ever get new strings and found the loop missing on one of them ? Happened to me with D'Addario EXP 74 medium. One of the A strings. And what did you do ? I made a knot but I am not at all happy with it. Got them via internet. Discoverd it too late, starting always with the G's. Ordered new ones, but still, I was surprised

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: new strings-missing loop

Missing the loop no, but break the loop, yes. The good and bad thing about strings is that they're so cheap that it's barely worth complaining to the manufacturer and/or internet seller. Pretty sure that I just tied a knot (or crimped it around the hook) and forgot about it.

If it had come from a local music store and had never been tuned up (no bends or kinks), those folks would probably A) be very interested, and B) give you a new one, maybe a whole set, without further thought. Even my local big guy, GC, seems that clued in to customer service.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

You should contact D'Addario. They have a very good customer service. Years ago I put a new set on my guitar and the loop immediately broke. I sent them the string and they replaced the string and gave me a new set. They said that it does help for quality control. it was a good move, since I use their strings prob more than any other one manufacturer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Destroyer of Mandolins

Yeah, it can happen. Strings are a consumable item produced in the millions. Never waste your life getting upset about it. The big name suppliers usually just send you a replacement set and don't even want the faulty one back; too much trouble and a waste of their time.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

a nail in something, and a pair of pliers, vise grips are good,
    and you can make a loop ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

yes, no big deal, just wondered if I should generally order a few sets instead of one. I will. The knot I made still holds. Can someone tell me please how often the frets should be replaced, or what would be the indication to replace them ? Mine show already tiny notches ( KM 1000)

Replacing frets would depend on how much you play your mandolin...If the "notches" aren`t very deep they can be dressed by a luthier and be like new....

Happened to me also ( no loop on A string) but Elderly replaced it!

Willie
    Trouble is my hands are strong and maybe I put on too much pressure and my hammering may be too hard. Maybe I should practise some kind of gentle touch. I have the KM 1000 for 2 years now and only since 1 year I am using her much more than my others, several hours daily. Watching some bluegrassers play I'd say they don't care much about fret wearing. Or do they ? Finding a trustworthy luthier in Germany would take a bit of searching...

Destroyer of Mandolins

The question of when to re-fret is similar to when to re-string. You do it when it needs it. How to tell? That can be tricky. When you cannot get clear tones, when two frets produce the same pitch, or when playability declines to an unreasonable extent are all clear signs. But others are very subjective. It's surprising just how far a fret can wear before it needs replacing. If you're not having any noticeable difficulty playing you may only need to dress the frets.

A lot depends on the size and weight of the fret wires and the material they're made from. I play full-time and re-fret about once every ten years, but I also have an 80 year old instrument with its original frets that are in perfect condition. It's just something you have to judge for yourself. Not having a good technician available is a problem, but I'm surprised to hear that one is hard to find in Germany, a country renowned for excellent luthiers.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user