Thread: Great Experience: Grey Eagle Mandolins

Default Great Experience: Grey Eagle Mandolins

Like I do many evenings here on the cafe, Saturday evening I spent a few hours reading though some threads and across a thread for Grey Eagle mandolins. Like I always do, I did a quick search to see who the builder was and where they are located. Hey what do you know, Richmond Virginia I thought to my self. So early this morning I sent Skip an email to see if I could get a little info on his mandolins and he replied to give him a call and possible swing by to give a few of his mandolins a run through....definitely not go to pass on that opportunity.

Let me first say, my experience today with Skip was a blast! As I left my house I told my fiance that I would probably be gone for an hour maybe an hour and a half......4 hours later, haha...oh well it was awesome! He first asked what I wanted to try out, I replied whatever you got! So the first mandolin was an A5. Boy was it an awesome A5. The tone was very sweet, it had a speed neck which I love, and it really could bark. I thought to myself, wow this A5 is killer! Then Skip pulled out a recently completed two-pointer. Immediately I was drawn to this mandolin as I like things that are a bit out of the ordinary and this two-pointer fit the bill. I have played and owned quite a few really nice high end mandolins and this mandolin is second to none. I am not sure if Skip injected his mandolin with mandolin growth hormones or what, but holy smokes. The action was nice and low yet this baby had tones of punch. You could possibly blow a banjo player over with monster. The tone was sweet, clear with great note separation and had sustain for days. I was in love. The playability was spot on from perfect string spacing on the nut and bridge to a really nice comfortable neck. No effort required for fretting which is something I really like as I have a really light touch. Truly a magnificent work of art. Needless to say, I will probably not sleep a minute tonight as I think about how I have to get me one of those two-point Grey Eagles!!

Anyways, I just wanted to share my great experience today with Skip. A great guy who is extremely welcoming, fun to talk to and one who definitely knows how to build a top notch mandolin.

Default Re: Great Experience: Grey Eagle Mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by Dfyngravity View Post
    Anyways, I just wanted to share my great experience today with Skip. A great guy who is extremely welcoming, fun to talk to and one who definitely knows how to build a top notch mandolin.
    Skip -- he's a hoot! Passionate about his instruments, that's for sure. I remember playing an A of his at a party a few years ago that was very nice.
    /* no comment */

I've only heard or read really good things about the Grey Eagle Mandolins.I believe that the great Canadian Fiddle & Mandolin player Ray Legere plays one. He was in Ireland a few years back & a Mandolin paying friend of mine went to see him.He told me that the sound of Ray's Mandolin was one of the finest he'd ever heard,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I've only heard or read really good things about the Grey Eagle Mandolins.I believe that the great Canadian Fiddle & Mandolin player Ray Legere plays one. He was in Ireland a few years back & a Mandolin paying friend of mine went to see him.He told me that the sound of Ray's Mandolin was one of the finest he'd ever heard,
    Ivan
    He does indeed play a Grey Eagle and there's a reason why....they are fantastic.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Tried one at the Grey Fox mando tasting, and didn't want to let it go. Great tone, great playability, and incredibly comfortable with the Loar style neck. I got home, and contacted Skip just to kick some tires. Got a nice and helpful response. For a mando with a base price of $3500, I felt it was more comfortable than the venerable Collings MF-5 at less than half the price and with all the tone. A mando like that could side track me away from the Stivers or Rattlesnakes that I've been eyeing for almost a decade.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

My Grey Eagle was the one that Dave tried out at Grey Fox. I am the proud owner of #37. It just gets better and better with time. Skip has become a good friend. He has a heart of gold. He also make awesome guitars.