Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin...Hard?

Hello all,

I like bluegrass and am trying to decide between learning a Mandolin, Banjo or Dobro (I like them all). I am looking for input regarding the "ease of learning" factor". I know this is a VERY loaded question, but I am 42 and want to concentrate on one instrument. I have never played an instrument, nor do I read music or tab. I am one of those people that needs some quick success to keep me going, but am willing to practice, practice. Is "one on one" a must for learning Mandolin? What is the best starter DVD for Mandolin?

Also, I have $600-$800 to spend on a Mandolin and it must be an F-Style. What would be a good one?

Thank you all for your input,
    David

To address one of your issues:

Is the mandolin hard to play well?

A resounding YES!

I think the mandolin is easier in the initial learning stages than either Dobro or banjo. I can recommend A style mandolins in your price range, but while people will soon tell you to get a Michael Kelly or Morgan Monroe, I think it's silly to spend money on a scroll at this end of the market when you could get so much more tone for the money with an A. That's not to knock them or you, just my opinion.

Well I have played guitar a long time. I just now picked up mandolin really and I am just learning songs right now. After I learn a fair bit of songs, Ill try learning some scales to do improv(any resourses for that you guys can recommend?). But since you have never played any instrument. You will find ever instrument to be hard to play. Here is how you have to look at it. Dobro and banjo require developing roll patterns to play. 3 fingers on the right hand have to learn to do a lot of stuff at high speeds. Mandolin, its basicly your wrist that has to learn to pick quickly. So in terms of how easy is it to pick a mandolin up and learn a song compaired to banjo and dobro. Mandolin is your winner. I also agree, You can get a better sounding A for that price than you can a F. A's are becoming more and more popular in bluegrass also.

All musical instruments are hard to play well. Given that, I find the mandolin to be an extremely intuitive instrument to learn, once you get a few of the basics, unlike say, the guitar, which is much more complicated (imho). It's very rewarding for me. There are techniques, like tremelo, that take time and patience to develop, and learnging to play fast is a challenge, but these things come with time and, as you say, "practice, practice, practice."

I started the mandolin at age 45 (two years ago) with no real background in music to speak of. I would highly recommend finding a teacher, as that is the best way to make progress quickly (plus it gives you someone to play with on a regular basis). If no teacher is available, there are any number of comprehensive learning resources. But I'll let others with experience with those weigh in on which ones.

Steve

I started a year ago at 53 with no experience. Spent the first two months with TAB then took two weeks to switch to reading notation. I'm still not good but I can site read pretty well and hope that with practice, practice,, practice (as my instructor reminds me weekly) my speed will increase.

IMHO, a cheap f style is just that. That strap hanger is worth hundreds to thousands. If you take to the mandolin, you'll be buying a new one in a year or so anyway. Your first will not be your last by a long shot. Go with the best a style you can afford.

I second all of Eric's comments.
    Keep it acoustic.

Mandolin Pros
    > Versatile: Can play rhythm, lead, cross-picking, combinations, whatever. Also can play other forms of music besides BG bettter than the other two.
    > Historic: Bill M. played mando and a lot of the BG greats play mando.
    > Ease of play: There is a lot you can do with a mando as a beginner. Some other instruments require a basic level of technuque before you can follow along with anything.
    > Also: It's portable, there are lots of great choices in the marketplace

Mandolin Cons (I can't think of any!)

Banjo Pros
    > It is fundamental to the BG sound
    > It is great for soloing
    > It is loud

Banjo Cons
    > It seems to be hard to play well, as witnessed by the ration of banjo players who actually do play it well.
    > You will be the brunt of a lot of jokes.
    > You have to re-tune for each key, which is even more annoying to others than it is to you.
    > It is loud.

Dobro Pros
    > Cool instrument!

Dobro Cons
    > It seems to me to be very hard to play well. I have tried and given up.
    > Not all that versatile. It is pretty specialized to bluegrass only and is not a "must have" even for that. Sure Jerry Douglas can play it in any style of music, but sorry, neither of us is Jerry Douglas!
    > Limited selection of instruments to buy.

You are shortchanging yourself by wanting an F in that price range. A used Flatiron A would be the way to go. If you really need an F, get a Michael Kelly, but it won't be as much instrument. It's all about the music, not the look. Just MHO.

I have to agree w/ the advice of getting an A style (given your price range). Especially if you're looking for "quick satisfaction", you're going to find that learning to play on a well built mandolin will be easier and more rewarding than learning on a cheaper one with a scroll. Of course, if you can find a quality F for $6-800, that works too. I just think that playability should be paramount to looks. Just my opinion...of course.

I'd also suggest finding a good teacher. I've found that learning music via a book or video to be overwhelming. A good teacher can tailor your lessons and make them easier to digest, and thus, more rewarding.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Cafe. #You've hit one of the recurring hot topics (A vs F). #Quality versus price you'll see the "buy an A" (already saw it three times). #Still, its your money and if you like the looks of the F, go for it. #In that price range just make sure you get a solid top, not a laminate. #There are two F-styles on the cafe classifieds first page for $500 or less.

The mandolin is very easy to learn to play recognizable melodies on. #Like most things, you'll never completely master it. #

I like the Introduction to the mandolin DVD (link for reference, not a recommendation to use that retailer). #Definitely get the book and DVD.

Everyone learns differently, some people do fine with just a book. #An instructor will definitely help you avoid bad habits.

<Insert witty saying here>

I think mandolin is pretty easy to learn to play in the keys of G, C, D, and A. Gets a little trickier in keys that don't offer as many open string notes. Playing up the neck is a bit harder than guitar because there are more notes to cover per course.

also another note:

You can get a mandolin as a banjo.
    You can get a resonator mandolin.

But I don't think you can play mandolin on a banjo or get mandolin sound out of a dobro? am I right?

Mandolin really is alot more versatile..
    Atle Kvia

My homepage

To paraphrase SteveW and others above, the mandolin is easy to play, but hard to play well.

One thing that you should really consider is reaching out locally and find others to play with. As with learning another language, it can be easier -- and more fun -- if you have opportunities to practice with others. (On the other hand, it can still be immensely satisfying playing tunes unaccompanied, but practicing French by yourself doesn't help your listening skills.)
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

mad dawg:

You can play the mandolin in French? I am impressed!

Hi,
    I came into this as a guitar player and have played mando for about 1.5 years. #

-I just got an A by the same builder as my F and it smokes it. #They are both really nice, but I am thinking of selling the F because I love the A. #Comfort wise they are equal.
    -I started my daughter on mandolin with a teacher, and I can't stress how much I think you will benefit from a teacher. #I could not teach my daughter because I know too much and can't break it down to small enough pieces for her to digest. #Her teacher (Dennis Monroe in Rochester NY) really gets it, and gives her great reinforcement and small tasks that are managable. #A DVD or CD will suffer from one of two extemes, either deadly simple and boring, or assuming you know a fair bit about music.
    -Banjo is very key limited without a capo as is Dobro which in open G is tuned much like a banjo I think. #Dobro being in an open tuning limits your chordal selections. #Also, playing single note lines with the bar is kind of like playing with one finger on a fretless guitar. #It is harder than it looks.
    -Mando tuning is suited to melody like no other stringed instrument. #It chords well too. #Easy keys are C, D, E, F, G, A and Bb and Eb are not too bad either. #I play with a fiddle group, a bluegrass / DAWG guy, and in a straight ahead jazz quartet and it rocks in every one.

-Did ya ever think about stand up bass - because that is an instument that will always get you into jams and jobs

Good luck
    nilodnam - darn that lesdyxia

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by
    get a Michael Kelly, but it won't be as much instrument.
    I have to respectfully disagree here. For most of us, the MK is all the mandolin we will ever need. Let's face it, we can't all be Thile and we don't need a world-class instrument. I love my MK.

One thing I loved about the mandolin when I first started was that it didn't take a lot of skills or instrument pyrotechnics to make it sound nice. A simple melody played with a little tremelo is very sweet to the ears. I hope you decide on the mandolin. It really is a unique and beautiful instrument.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

David,

I encourage you to take up mandolin and hang out here.
    I believe that after a short time you will find mandolin easier, more rewarding, and more intuitive than the other instruments. I think the versatility and playability of the mando will also encourage you to practice and play and experience the improvement you are hoping for. Meaning, one would not tend to sit down to their favorite folk or country or alt. acoustic CDs with a banjo and work on chords and accompaniment . You can do that for lots of music in addition to bluegrass with the mando. Also, as cool as the dobro can be, I think mandolin is capable of a lot more expression; it sounds great loud, soft, fast, slow, sweet, and brash.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

You will probably get more out of playing the mandolin alone than the other instruments. I can spend hours playing fiddle tunes by myself and I'm quite happy, while the banjo or dobro need other instruments for backup. They are all fun to play with others, but the mandolin (or guitar) seem to work best alone. I can also play at 3am without waking my wife, and I sure don't get the banjo out at that hour (it's not too popular even in normal hours, but that's due to the volume). It's also more portable than any of the others.

No instrument is easy to play well, but it's not hard if you really want to play. I like A style mandolins, but if you need an F, you need an F, and I'll let others try to talk you out of it. If it is set up decently to be easy to play, you will learn faster and be happier. Good setup probably matters more than anything when you are starting out.

Mando will also let you add fiddle at a later date--same fingerings!--or you can always branch out into another of the mando family with little difficulty.
    Good luck!
    Classical bassist/fiddler--started mando at age 42
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

In that price range just make sure you get a solid top, not a laminate

Dont let the solid top snobs get you. My fist mando was a MK...laminate top...It was a fine instrument for learning and best of all sounded really good. was it a Gibby or a Gilchrist.....no....Gibby is a Gibby and Gilchrist is in a league all it own.....After I had the bridge fitted and a good set-up it served its purpose nicely....that being get me in a instrument that I liked, that I could play and that would help me learn.....for cheap.
    Yeah, Keep calling me Hillbilly........

besides.....can you really get a flatiron A for 4 or 5 hundred bucks?
    Yeah, Keep calling me Hillbilly........

Registered Person

David, I won't be redundant, all the info here is classic and true. If you must have an F, and you have 800, look at a Howard Morris mandolin, there's a thread going on about his mandolins right now. It's a great mandolin to learn on and to keep for later, too.

Some instant gratification on the mandolin is tuning it GDGD, it's a chord. You can build some nice melodies on that. And that's pretty easy.

I would grab a used A9 for that price, not sure if that was already recommended I didn't have time to read everyone's replies. Also, for instructional material I highly recommend the "Mandolin of Bill Monroe" DVD set. I've been playing for awhile and didn't really need it but I asked my wife for it for my birthday just cause' I'm a huge Bill fan. The first DVD is Bill Monroe showing all his stuff, it looks kinda hard for people who are used to reading notation, but for me it cleared up a lot of questions I had about the bluegrass sound. The second DVD is Sam Bush explaining all the technical details of the first DVD very thoroughly. Highly recommended. I watch the first one every once in awhile for the pure entertainment of it. Good luck!
    Philip Halcomb

You know, I don't understand why you never hear #Tacoma # mentioned in threads like this. Solid woods, excellent fit and finish, radious board , big frets. They are a beginners dream to play.
    That just happens to be my listing, but they are always available in this range.
    # # # # # # # # # # B.Pat

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

I hear ya B.Pat. The Tacoma is really built well and the neck and fretwork is outstanding on any priced mandolin. Sure, they aren't loud and don't project like an archtop but the tone is sweet and very muusical. And the price is right.
    But if he must get an inexpensive F then a Rover is a pretty good choice. Greg Boyd boasts about choosing the cream of the crop and he'll be sure it's set up well too. A $450 well spent.
    Wye Knot