Thread: Gibson A-5L

Default Gibson A-5L

I have a Gibson A-5L, year 1995,and I love it,I think it has a nice and powerful sound!
    Can someone tell me who is that man who signed it?
    Does he bear a lot of responsability in the process (choosing type of woods for ex.) of making the instrument, or is he just testing the mandolin and checking for any defect before leaving the factory?
    How many mandolins A-5L does approximately Gibson make per year?
    Are they all made in the same factory?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5341.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	81654  

Default Re: Gibson A-5L

I'm currently sitting on an A-5L from July 10 of the same year, with the same signature. I think it's Larry Barnwell.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Quote Originally Posted by Manjol View Post
    Does he bear a lot of responsability in the process (choosing type of woods for ex.) of making the instrument, or is he just testing the mandolin and checking for any defect before leaving the factory?
    I'm not sure anybody really knows what responsibility Gibson label signers have or have had. It all started with LLoyd Loar and whatever it was he did before signing the labels. I think it's mostly a final inspection sort of thing.

Larry Barnwell is the signature on the label. At this period he was general manager of the mandolin factory at that time. Larry is a good bluegrass picker. He left Gibson shortly thereafter and went to work for Martin Guitar Company and is still there the last I knew. Larry is one of the good guys and not only a factory guy, but a picker as well.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

5. The following members say thank you to Big Joe for this post:

How do you like the instrument? How long have you had it? I had a new one around 1995 but returned it after a few weeks because it was so quiet. I have always wondered how it matured.

[QUOTE=samlyman;1016465]How do you like the instrument? How long have you had it?[QUOTE]

I've had it for 8 years!!! I like the shape of it, like a teardrop! And it's lightweight! I always have it in my pocket!!!

Where these mandolins built in Nashville? Never could understand why Gibson bought Flatiron, but turned the Bozeman, MT factory into the acoustic guitar division.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards