Thread: Mandola H1/H2 design

Default Mandola H1/H2 design

I'm preparing an outline drawing and body template for a Gibson H1/2 mandola copy. I don't have access to an original instrument (only pix on the Mandolin Archive), but a search on the Cafe has given quite a lot of the critical dimensions. I'm trying to scale up an A model mandolin drawing. One item I'm missing for the mandola, is the width of the neckblock plus ribs at the 12th fret crosspiece. The fingerboard width at this 12th fret location has been quoted at 1.75 ins. Can anyone please supply the overall body width at this point? Thanks......John

Default Re: Mandola H1/H2 design

John:

I'm looking at an H1, FON 11864, serial number 61938; Spann's book puts those numbers at 1921 / 1923, "A" model.

The fingerboard width at the 12 fret crosspiece is the same as you list- 44 mm or 1.75", and the total width across that line is 71 mm or 2 25/32".

j.
    www.condino.com

J.....very many thanks for the total width measurement at the 12th fret crosspiece. This should help a lot with my drawing....John

Another general query about H1/H2 mandolas.......did Gibson ever make a snakehead version at the time the snakehead mandolins were current? I may have missed it, but I couldn't see one in Mandolin Archive........John

No, there are no Gibson snakehead mandolas.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Another query please: various Cafe threads quote the side depth of the H1 mandola as 1.75 ins. Does this 1.75 ins. include the top and back edge thickness? If it does, then the H1 mandola and A model mandolin sides (inclusive of top and back edge thickness) are just about the same width. I'd be grateful for confirmation on this point.......thanks......John