Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lafferty Mandolin Road Test

Default Re: The Lafferty Mandolin Road Test

The Lafferty is going back to Dennis today, best of luck to everyone that has entered the contest to win it. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Nice road test, pictures and sound file.

Now, I know I am totally going to set off explosions by saying this... and I know this mando was meant to be understated. And affordable. And I can see even from the pictures the fit and finish is technically perfect on every level. It sounds good... I even bet it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. Still.... I just can't wrap my head around the looks! Solid matte brown with an unbound fretboard and headstock? It's just so..... brown! What can brown do for you? Apparently a lot, because everyone seems to be raving about it's looks. For me? Not so much... but to each his own! It just looks kind of uninspired and sterile to me. Of course, in the hands of a loving owner and some wear in the finish, I'm sure it'll transform into something special. I'm just having a hard time seeing it right now. I did enter the contest though, so in the slim chance I win I'll be happy to trade it to someone for some type of F to take camping when I don't want to risk the good 'un [=
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Ad astra per alia porci bjshear's Avatar

so why won't they say who made it? I mean is it a company like Weber that is just branding it for the Mandolin Store? That would be my guess, kinda like Epiphone and Gibson or something like that.

Anyway, I think it's dumb they won't say who made it. But I will of course still be excited to open my email on the 15th and find out that it is coming home with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Justus True Waldron View Post

Now, I know I am totally going to set off explosions by saying this... and I know this mando was meant to be understated. And affordable. And I can see even from the pictures the fit and finish is technically perfect on every level. It sounds good... I even bet it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. Still.... I just can't wrap my head around the looks! Solid matte brown with an unbound fretboard and headstock? It's just so..... brown! What can brown do for you? Apparently a lot, because everyone seems to be raving about it's looks. For me? Not so much... but to each his own! It just looks kind of uninspired and sterile to me. Of course, in the hands of a loving owner and some wear in the finish, I'm sure it'll transform into something special. I'm just having a hard time seeing it right now. I did enter the contest though, so in the slim chance I win I'll be happy to trade it to someone for some type of F to take camping when I don't want to risk the good 'un [=
    The Mandolin Store likes brown. In fact my Weber Bridger finish is a custom Mandolin Store brown. You can see the picture in my avatar. For some reason the good folks at the Mandolin Store really like brown. I think the color on my Weber bridger is awesome though, but i do agree, this Lafferty does seem REALLY brown. But, i'd still take it!

Blog Entries

A representative from Weber has stated unequivocally that Weber is not involved with this project.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

[QUOTE=Justus True Waldron;1013591It's just so..... brown! What can brown do for you? [/QUOTE]

See I really like the earthy look. Shiny is fine and often absolutely gorgeous. But I'm not shiny and I'm kinda woodsy, so in a way the one they are giving away matches me. Lets face it, I would make that mandolin look even better as its brown contrasts starkly with my white flowing beard. Can you see it???
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    A representative from Weber has stated unequivocally that Weber is not involved with this project.
    thank you. i wonder who then....let's all guess until we drive them to reveal it to us.

I actually like the color, then again I liked the original finish on the A9 and F9 as well. Keep in mind they are trying to hit a price point here and doing it.

They're built by a guy named Mike and within the year every mandolin The Mandolin Store sells will be dark brown. Because, well, they just think we should all be playing brown mandolins. It's all part of a master plan. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I actually like the color, then again I liked the original finish on the A9 and F9 as well. Keep in mind they are trying to hit a price point here and doing it.
    i agree, it reminds me of the good ol' sheraton brown. Also, it does hit ia price point. It's that in-between Eastman and Gibson it seems, but i could be wrong.

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Ah, now that I know the mandolin store likes brown it makes more sense... I do get the price point thing, too - that was exactly around where I was looking before I got my first real job and my mando came on the market in short succession...

Also bjshear I actually really like your instrument's color! I'm not against brown in all cases [=
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Ah, now that I know the mandolin store likes brown it makes more sense... I do get the price point thing, too - that was exactly around where I was looking before I got my first real job and my mando came on the market in short succession...

Also bjshear I actually really like your instrument's color! I'm not against brown in all cases [=
    thanks! i bought it used, and i called weber to ask about the specs, they told me the color was TMS Brown (the mandolin store). I thought that was funny.

It's not that we're in love with brown, but after doing this for 10 years and selling thousands of mandolins, I have handle on what appeals to the majority of people - and it's brown tones. I'd be building them purple if that's what the most demand was for.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    It's not that we're in love with brown, but after doing this for 10 years and selling thousands of mandolins, I have handle on what appeals to the majority of people - and it's brown tones. I'd be building them purple if that's what the most demand was for.
    the brown you guys chose for the Weber Bridger is just lovely though. Stick to your guns! Brown is good!

P.s. who makes the Lafferty mandolins? We all want to know!

I love the looks of these mandolins. I also loved the original color of the Gibson A9 and F9. I just don't see the need to make every mandolin out there some kind of sunburst. The look is overdone. I like it when someone comes out with something a little different. That's one of the reasons why I have a Breedlove.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I really don't think it's that important who makes them (though it's really not that hard to figure out if you really look hard). To me, the real question is the sound & build quality. So far the feedback has been great in both areas. In addition, there is more than one builder on this project. I am also working on a high quality import wide nut F that I expect to see in the Spring with some luck................price...............not sure exactly but under $1500. Lastly, I'm really enjoying all of the threads and speculation..............and what fun would it be to tell everyone and me not be able to get my jollies reading these threads

PS - I like the TMS brown better too. That TMS brown color is all from Brett at Weber. The man is an artist when it comes to coloring mandolins!
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    I really don't think it's that important who makes them (though it's really not that hard to figure out if you really look hard). To me, the real question is the sound & build quality. So far the feedback has been great in both areas. In addition, there is more than one builder on this project. I am also working on a high quality import wide nut F that I expect to see in the Spring with some luck................price...............not sure exactly but under $1500. Lastly, I'm really enjoying all of the threads and speculation..............and what fun would it be to tell everyone and me not be able to get my jollies reading these threads

PS - I like the TMS brown better too. That TMS brown color is all from Brett at Weber. The man is an artist when it comes to coloring mandolins!
    Dennis, from what i've seen and heard (sound clips) of the new lafferty mandolins, you deserve your fun! Mike's pictures in this thread really showed the beauty of it, even in it's simplicity. But you know that us mandolin people, who get struck with MAS every few months, like all aspects of mandolins; wood selection, technique, picks, ect, including builders. I'll just have to enjoy the mystery and hope that I win this one so we can enjoy it first hand!

Dennis,
    I love the color on the give away model... think it rocks TMS brown is too shiny for me!
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

I'm having a ball working on The Lafferty mandolin project. I do want to publicly thank Mike for taking the time to do the review with pictures and even sound clips. It was most appreciated. I really hope the winner needs a new mandolin and can really enjoy it! Good luck to everyone.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Dennis,
    I do I do I doooooooooo!
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

You would hate my funky old 1924 Gibson A Jr. Would you even bother listening to it?

Blog Entries

Dennis, congratulations on this new venture, and on behalf of all of us in the Mandolin Cafe community, thanks to you and to The Mandolin Store for this fantastic and generous giveaway promotion.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Dennis, congratulations on this new venture, and on behalf of all of us in the Mandolin Cafe community, thanks to you and to The Mandolin Store for this fantastic and generous giveaway promotion.
    What Ed said , + 1
    '09 Passernig A5
    '82 Kentucky
    '05 Deering Sierra
    '81 Gold Star maple archtop
    '79 Guild D-35SB
    '98 Gibson J-100
    Mid 1890's German fiddle

Same here

"Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."