Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: R L Givens

Spruce, what is the serial number and/or manufacture year on your 12-string, if you don't mind my asking--looks a lot like the maple on mine? Thanks.

just a guess but i don't think Bruce owns it, just seen it and took some pic's...I think I remember him saying that a few years back...
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Default Re: R L Givens

Quote Originally Posted by peteymando View Post
    Just curious how many Givens mandolins are around the Cafe.I will start off, A-6 Ser.#447 Completed 11-29-88
    I just purchased a givens A-5 from 1983 #310. I love it!

At first look I wasn't impressed with my A-5 Givens #310, it was pretty unassuming. Then I did a little research, tuned it up, played a little, wow,and brought it home. I'm not letting it go now!

I sold my Givens years ago for a scroll. One of the worst mistakes I have ever made. Made the same mistake with a Porsche 356. Terrible mistake. Live and learn. Let this be a lesson to all you young folks, an A type mandolin can be one of the best there ever was. Nick
    ntriesch

I think it has become accepted over the last ten years that the difference doesn't come from the scroll.

I have had about 10 Givens through TAMCO, all great, most of them plain. I wish I had kept the first one I had. It was ornery looking and an almost unpleasant green/brown colour. It was responsible for my personal conversion from oval to f hole and sounded as good as any mandolin I have heard..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

More than once I have felt that the best sounding mando at Elderly is a Givens A
    Bill

I have #151 A-5. Bought in 1977 or 78. Played hard ever since--rewarding!

Bruce

Summit Artist V mandolin #384 (2011)
    R.L. Givens A5 mandolin #151 (1978)
    Jerman electric mandolin 4 string
    Pisgah custom banjo #888 (2017)
    Martin 000-18 guitar #218946 (1967)
    parlor guitar, ice cream cone heel, unlabeled
    Sebastien Kloz fiddle (1734, authenticated)

I have a Paramount Tenor Banjo with a neck made and inscribed by R.L. Givens for Mike Fay in Dec. 1966. I got in touch with Mike by email and he had this to say:
    Eddie,
    The Banjo was ( I think) Leader or Aristocrat model and Bob made the whole neck from the rods up. He was working out of the shop in El Monte operated (?) by Dick Allen (crazy) who still makes guitars. Bob did all his pearl work I believe. Bob was sort of erratic in those days but most of what he did was superlative. He was strange and fun to hang out with as long as you kept a sense of humor. I'm glad it survives although I think it has taken on a bit of corrosion in the metal bits. Somewhere theere is a Plectrum neck for it also by Givens but I recall that it is warped. Too bad. I believe Bob has passed from this world (RIP)
    Best, MF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	para1.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	85373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0670.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	85368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0671.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	85367  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	para8.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	85366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	para9.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	85365  

There are a whole slew of Givenses (?) at The Parlor in KNoxville. After Mt. Airy this week I aim to play them all!

BTW, I've been comparing all sorts of F models of every type to my A5 over the last 30 years because ...well, you know, I grew up thinking that only a scroll was bluegrass. I satisfied my urge and saved $10,000 by buying a F-style kit, building it, making it pretty, then putting it away so I can get back to the punchy, poppy, dry, woody sound of the Givens

Summit Artist V mandolin #384 (2011)
    R.L. Givens A5 mandolin #151 (1978)
    Jerman electric mandolin 4 string
    Pisgah custom banjo #888 (2017)
    Martin 000-18 guitar #218946 (1967)
    parlor guitar, ice cream cone heel, unlabeled
    Sebastien Kloz fiddle (1734, authenticated)

I've owned Givens #177 (darkburst, unbound head, white bound neck & body [top & back]) literally since the day the finish dried in the winter of 1979 or '80. As I recall, I paid $650.00 for it (dealers' price). It sounds great; I played it for years in a bluegrass band, and boy did those rhythm chops ever BARK! I now use Flattops on it (FT74) - love the sound, and the tone lasts a long time. Since instruments are to use, I made alterations (added a pickguard, cut off the unusable top few frets that got in the way of my picking, swapped out the tuners for ones that work). Unfortunately, I've also added an awful lot of "character" to the finish! When I first got it, I hated the fat frets, but I have to say, after over 30 years of playing, I've only had them stoned maybe a couple of times - never replaced. I guess it's a keeper!

Givens A6 #352. Beckons me like a Siren every time I walk in the door.
    "There can be no fear, sir! Go forth with faith in the Briar!"

Dudenbostel A1
    1992 Givens 30th Anniversary A6
    Collings F5

Started a Givens fan page in the social groups section here. Please feel free to contribute any stories.
    "There can be no fear, sir! Go forth with faith in the Briar!"

Dudenbostel A1
    1992 Givens 30th Anniversary A6
    Collings F5

and now we find a couple of the above mentioned Givens previously? owned by "Red" for sale in the emporium
    I'd love to try that 12 string

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Post Falls, just east of Spokane...

You can see it from the interstate. #A great guy named Red ran it, and it was in an old house with a "Vintage Guitars" neon sign on the front.

I drove by not long ago, and they looked like they were remodeling the house, and the sign was gone. #

Hope Red just sold the house and moved to a better locale... #
    I remember that place. He also bought and sold used guns. I played every Givens he had. Nice old fella, and quite a trader.
    If anyone has a good sounding aA they'd like to trade for teens Gibson mandola, mandolin, cash combo, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishel View Post
    I now use Flattops on it (FT74) - love the sound, and the tone lasts a long time. Since instruments are to use, I made alterations (added a pickguard, cut off the unusable top few frets that got in the way of my picking, swapped out the tuners for ones that work).
    Good attitude. I find the 24-fret fingerboard a nuisance but haven't done anything about it. And I'd be glad to have a fingerrest. Mine is from 1981 or so. It came to me just a few years ago, but in virtually new condition. Had barely been played, but it's getting lots of playing now. Good dense sound with great projection, and the Flattops suit it well. The original tuners seem fine, though corroded from many years spent a few blocks from the ocean.

Greetings, I have # 233, an A style. This one is currently left handed but side markers on both sides of the neck indicate it was probably a righty to begin with. Single bound body and fretboard, unbound peghead, flat FB with 24 smaller size frets. No tuner post bushings and the vine like RLG inlay between the posts. Plays and sounds wonderful; its woody, focused, warm, and balanced, and records well. One of the best lefties I have played. I got her from G. Boyd about 8 yrs ago. I like the way it sounds with the J74's, but only after about a week or so.

Interestingly, the original tuners on my A (#177) were NOT Schallers, which I think he started using right after that. They were some bushing-free brand with about a 1,000-to-1 gear ratio, but wouldn't stay in tune. Swapped them out for Schallers, but...the spacing of the holes was just a little off. After 30 years of the tuners not quite fitting right, they started making real trouble, so we replaced them. Apparently, the only good tuners that fit that weird spacing tune backwards! I found it not nearly as hard to get used to as I'd expected.

Hi Fishel, I sent you a PM. Good to hear from you again. Mando content - I too have been using the D'Addario FT-74s for many years on my Gibson (also starts with the letter G) mandolins. -

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Hey, Lenny -

Yeah, I think those FTs are just great. Warm, mellow, punchy enough, and long lasting tone. I thought I'd like them on my Gibson guitar, too, but I didn't. It's all very instrument-and-player-specific.

I have #546, an A3 built in 1990. Great sound and playability. The most comfortable to play of my 6 mandolins. Has a steeper neck angle than the others. Had trouble with the bridge leaning forward all the time. Finally got a higher saddle and the problem is gone.I love this little booger. Always get asked what kind it is and get lots of compliments on the sound. I have flatwound 74's on it now. Nice warm tone. Very versatile. It's my go to mando for festivals where different types of music are played. I'll never let it go.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I have two A-6s. I play #362 out a lot - it's very versatile and sounds excellent across bluegrass, Irish, oldtime, and swing. Also have #674 in mint shape.

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Name:	Photo1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	95867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	95868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo5.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	95869I have been offline for a while, but I have Givens 171 from 78. A5 bound fretboard, body inlayed RLG signed top. Heavy checked and plenty of dings from playing. Burst back and necke with brown top. Grovers, Allen tailpiece and an armrest.
    Last edited by Bobble; Dec-29-2012 at 3:07pm.

I just recently got a Givens F5 - #379 4/16/1987. Has that "Wheat" motif on the headstock. I've had some mighty fine mandolins, but this the only one that has the WOW factor. The Nut is 1"...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16N,!)EFIoZF1YdVBScln4LPkg~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	116455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16F,!zkFJDJpEl6eBScln2W6mQ~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	116456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!lUFJ,ru+(!WBScln37hMg~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	116457  

Name:	$T2eC16h,!zYFIcTNiv5BBScln3Uu8!~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	116458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!lQFJh,-kCsqBScln3ukhQ~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	116459  

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    I've had some mighty fine mandolins, but this the only one that has the WOW factor.
    Yeah, +1...
    Super nice-sounding instrument...