Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antique Gibson mandolin questions

Default Re: Antique Gibson mandolin questions

My friend used to work as an antique dealer. Here is what he said about getting rid of that musty odor.

Take apple cider vinegar and dilute it with distilled water. Spray the inside of the case with this mixture and put it in the sunshine for several hours. Repeat this process.
    James Plattes

2. The following members say thank you to vyolynyst for this post:

Here are two pictures I took of my mandolin just after getting it back from the local repair shop.

Attachment 126762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0001.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	126763
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0002.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	126758  

Yes, that's just what a 1912 A4 should look like. Black was the most common color for the A4 prior to 1914; thereafter most A4s have the reddish sunburst.

Your mandolin is missing the tailpiece cover, which will devalue it a bit, but with the original case it should still be worth $1250–1400, unless it has major repairs or other issues that aren't evident in your photos. What did the repair shop do to it?

Replacement tailpiece covers are available on eBay; sometimes you can even find a vintage one with "The Gibson" engraved on it, which would match the missing one.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls