Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Pickups

Default Re: Homemade Pickups

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    No, I'm talking about an off-brand that I bought and found unusable. I have no experience with JJB. I've heard good reviews of them as well.
    You all know that I'll always eventually chime in on JJB. I've used them in over a dozen instruments from fiddle to upright bass. My bandmates, audience and myself have no complaints. As a trained electronics tech with tools and know-how I would not build my own piezo pu when I can get a twin head JJB with jack for a little over $20. They are every bit as good as the K&K that I used until I heard about JJB on this forum. NFI.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Jim 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    You all know that I'll always eventually chime in on JJB. I've used them in over a dozen instruments from fiddle to upright bass. My bandmates, audience and myself have no complaints. As a trained electronics tech with tools and know-how I would not build my own piezo pu when I can get a twin head JJB with jack for a little over $20. They are every bit as good as the K&K that I used until I heard about JJB on this forum. NFI.
    I would add that the JJB's to me seem to require a preamp more than the K&K. Though of course they're both better with a suitable pre-amp, and I've been extremely happy with the JJB I've installed as well as the K&K's.

So yes, I would say don't even think about building you're own piezos when commercial ones that are known to work well are so cheaply available.

As posted here before Behringer has a Piezo Pre amp . stomp box .. For the cost conscious.

I get a Pass by owning a Roland AC 60 which has a switch on the instrument input

Either Piezo Or Magnetic from the 1/4" instrument channel.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture