Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat Rodeo Sessions Chords/Tabs

Default Goat Rodeo Sessions Chords/Tabs

I have been picking and trying to figure out how to play Attaboy and Quarter Chicken Dark from the Goat Rodeo Sessions CD, and was wondering if anyone knew where to find chords and tabs for these songs?

Mostly I am looking for the chords, as the melodies are not too hard to figure out, but I am struggling with some of the chords.
    "Domine Jesu Christe, Filius Dei, miserere me peccatorem"

Quote Originally Posted by pickngrin View Post
    Ah, grasshopper. The mando-fu is strong within you. Now take this Blue Chip from my hand...

Default Re: Goat Rodeo Sessions Chords/Tabs

I would LOVE to see this as well, I've been hooked on this album since the day it came out!

I haven't tried to pick to it yet though- I'll get on it and see if I can help!

I figured out in Quarter Chicken Dark that the chords he starts strumming are (from the G string): 4302 and then x32x but I can't figure out the rest. I don't have my mandolin with me right now, so the first chord might have been 4320. It sounds right, and if you watch him play it live, it looks right.

Ah, grasshopper. The mando-fu is strong within you. Now take this Blue Chip from my hand...

Attaboy is a cool tune for sure. The first half is in A major. Three main sections here:
    First one is a bit nebulous. Mando is playing A major figures, while the strings play counter lines. Later this gets better outlined into A / F#m back and forth, but not the first time.

Second section (cello melody) is Bm / C#m / E / G#m / Bm / C#m / D / D

(repeat 1st and 2nd sections) plus extra D bars at the end

Third section (fiddle): A / F#m back and forth 4x
    ( Third section is a rhythmically straightened out first section, I'd guess)

back to 2nd section for mando solo plus 6 extra D bars at the end.

back to section 1, followed by section 3

Then comes the faster fiddle tune. Melodically the tune is G major, AABB form.
    First time through: G5 strumming on the A parts. B parts are Am / D / G / G / (G x4)
    2nd time through: same tune, but held over an A pedal throughout AA and BB
    3rd time: A pedal on the AA, B parts are D / D / D / D / D / G / Am Bm / Bm D
    Most of these 'chords" are more like pedal notes or root/fifth chords like A5.

Then it's back to section 2 of the first part, but modified:
    Bm / C#m / E / G#m /
    Bm / C#m / D / E / F#m / G#m
    E / G#m ( five times )

Then repeat the original second section, leading into section 3 with some syncopations and extra beats, a descending figure (C# B A G# F# E twice) and the last 4 chords are F#m / D / Bm / A

I should say that there's a lot of drones and extended counterpoint going on in there that the chords above don't reflect. Still, that's a rough outline of what's going on underneath.

Cheers
    Mark R-T
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

THANK YOU MARK!!! That was a great help. Any chance you have Quarter Chicken Dark figured out yet?

Have not listened to it enough to write it down, but I'll take a look. If I'm remembering it right, the first section is
    F#m / B7 / D7 / G, but there's also some heavy dissonance throughout which makes it hard to separate the meat from the bone, so to speak. I'll have a listen in the next day or two.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

yeah, i'm glad i'm not the only one who finds it hard

I know this is asking a lot but I am trying to learn the picking part, even if that just means for the first part of the song, but i am having a difficult time figuring it out. he is just throwing too many notes in there for me to tab out. i was wondering if any of you could give me a hand as you seem to be having an easier time with the picking than i am. Thanks!

I use windows media player and use the play speed settings to slow it down. I don't have it exact yet, but this is how I figure things out. You can slow the speed down to half speed, and it really helps a ton.

Great, I will definitely try that, thank you so much!

OK, I'm gonna give Attaboy a shot for ya. From what my mortal fingers and ears can muster, this is kinda what I think he is playing. And anyone who knows what he is actually playing PLEASE feel free to correct this...

E|-----0-0h2---0-------------------------
    A|-0h4-------4--4-2-2h4p2--0-0h2---0-----
    D|-------------------------4-------4-----
    G|---------------------------------------

Again, that is not a definite, just what I am kinda picking up. the beginning sounds pretty on up until the middle where I have the B (2nd fret) hammer to C#(4th fret) on the A string. That is kinda where it starts sounding kinda off to me. Anyone else get any further on these?

Here's the mando intro to Attaboy. Goes up to where the cello starts the melody. Each line of 2 bars is played 2x. 1st and 3rd lines are the same. Second bars of each line are always the same. The emphasis is more like 6/4 time on those second bars, but since they play it against 12/8 later, I left it like that for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attaboy-PDF.pdf 
Views:	3842 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	80469

Cheers
    MRT

PS, have not had a chance to listen to Chicken yet. maybe tonight.
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Okay, it's nice to know I was at least kinda on the right track. Where did you get these? Did you make them? If so, kudos to you! I don't have my mando with me right now to try it, but it "sounds" good in my head as I read it. Thanks a bunch!

Earthwood,
    I wrote this out in Finale.

I've added the mando break on page 2 of this new file:

Name:	Attaboy-PDF.pdf 
Views:	2260 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	80477

At the moment, I don't have a mando on hand to check the layout of the tab. In particular, the part over the G# minor on line 2 of the solo might be better played up the neck somewhat, rather than in 1st position like it is here. Or maybe not.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Robertson-Tessi for this post:

Beanzy 

Registered User Brandon Johnson's Avatar

Thanks a lot for these tabs, Mark! I had the Fiddle tune about worked out, but was missing something from the opening lines, and I'm looking forward to working on the solo. Enjoying working on it this afternoon! Also, enjoyed your YouTube videos.

Here's some chord and structure on 1/4 Chicken Dark:

Section 1: 4/4 time:
    F#m x4 / B7 / Dm / G / G
    It sounds like mostly two note chords on the mando: 64xx, 41xx, 73xx, and 00xx

Section 2: 9/8 time:
    G / Dm / DbMaj7 / Gb / Ebmin / Bbmin / Db / Abmin /
    G / Dm7 / Dbmaj7 / Gb / Ebmin / Bbmin / Ebmin / Bbmin
    Mostly using closed position 4-note chords like 778-10 for Dmin, and 3446 for Gb.

Back to section 1 (mando bass duet and so on)

Then section 2 again, with extra bit at the end:
    Ebmin / Bbmin / Gb / Dbmin

Then a livelier section back in 4/4 time:
    D / D / A / E / Bm / Bm / E / E
    D / D / A / E / Bm / Bm / E / E
    D / D / A / E / Bm / Bm / C#m7 / C#m7 (6677 shape)

Back to section 1, then very last time the chord hits are something like
    F#m (x-11-12-14) / G#dim (x-9-11-10) / F#m (x799) / E#dim (x687) /
    F#min (x445) / E (x224) / B7 (x102) / Dm (x001) / G (0023)

Again, lots of hairy counterpoint and such going on which muddies the waters regarding exact chord description. But I think that's a baseline structure on which the tune can be rebuilt.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Thanks Mark. I love your cover of "Message In A Bottle". It's much easier than I imagined it would have been.

I am obsessively listening to this cd.. and have been since it came out. It was just what I was looking for in regards to new music.. but I just wanted to say thanks Mark for the tabs!!! Good stuff..
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."

Amazing Music...I absolutely love the tunes in that CD and I am really wishing I owned it now. Just getting down the tunes for the mandolin in those few songs would most certainly be worth it.

Anyone have tabs for Here and Heaven?

The basic melody and chords:

Name:	HereHeaven-PDF.pdf 
Views:	3262 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	81728

For the D(omit3) which runs through the whole song, CT is usually playing from the shape 7000.

The F# and F chords in the chorus are a bit loose, since there are D notes droning over those.

Also, the melody is probably better played higher on the neck than where I tabbed it here, if you want to incorporate open/drone strings to get that cross-string banjo sound.

Cheers
    MRT
    Altman F5
    - Website
    - YouTube videos

Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing the tabs.

Once every few years I'll hear a song that stops me dead, gives me goosebumps, and makes me want to immediately acquire it. "Attaboy" is one of those tunes for me.

SixPants, I totally agree with you.

Mark, being new to mandolin it would've taken me forever to figure all this out, you sir are amazing and very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Robertson-Tessi View Post
    The basic melody and chords:

Name:	HereHeaven-PDF.pdf 
Views:	3262 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	81728

For the D(omit3) which runs through the whole song, CT is usually playing from the shape 7000.

The F# and F chords in the chorus are a bit loose, since there are D notes droning over those.

Also, the melody is probably better played higher on the neck than where I tabbed it here, if you want to incorporate open/drone strings to get that cross-string banjo sound.

Cheers
    MRT
    Also keep in mind the intro was played on two strummed viols, which it appears they kept in standard viol tuning of D-G-C-E-A-D. I imagine that would help greatly in getting the right drones under the melody.

Thanks so much for transcribing Attaboy. I love how they disguised a hemiola (3 against 2) in the cross picking and melody, and it gives it a great rhythmic energy.