That's outrageous!

Yours truly,
    The Mike

Default Re: The Lafferty - Mandolin Store house brand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    That's outrageous!

Yours truly,
    The Mike
    I totally agree. In fact, I'm thinking of starting a jam and not allowing anyone named Scott.

Another Mike

I have an intertest in Lafferty Mandolins, since I am shortly going to win one in a Draw.

Blog Entries

Yours truly,
    The Mike
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by 8ch(pl) View Post
    I have an intertest in Lafferty Mandolins, since I am shortly going to win one in a Draw.
    You too?

Last edited by Gerry Cassidy; Jan-17-2012 at 11:09am.

Actually I think Summit mandolin builder Paul Schneider might be the builder of the Lafferty Mandolins. That is my last guess on who the builder might be.

As I started to say above, I think it's a guy named Mike, who has nothing to do but sit at home building mandolins because he's not allowed to go to any jam sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Cassidy View Post
    As I started to say above, I think it's a guy named Mike, who has nothing to do but sit at home building mandolins because he's not allowed to go to any jam sessions.

The Mike

" win one in a Draw"

seems in "draw"....there is no winner.
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Ya, I am getting redundant, but having read all the previous posts above, I am certain that the issues regarding build-site, price point, will become moot to anyone getting their hands on a Lafferty. It is an awesome instrument.

I received my Lafferty LF-5BW just about 2 weeks ago. Anyone thinking about getting a mandolin, should be aware of what a special instrument she is. Visually, for sure, she is outstanding. Just looking at her, there is the highest level of attention to detail and workmanship. But so much more important--as has been pointed out above, most important--she sounds amazing. On picking her up, there is immediately the draw to play, and then ..then..there is gorgeous sound; she sings.

Yep, I was instantly blown away by her build quality, and then by her sound, and for a number of days, I was wondering whether I was dreaming Had someone sent me an instrument costing in the big digits by mistake? I would have posted sooner, in fact, but thought I might have been in some kind of alternate universe. No. She is the real thing, and really here.

I am absolutely convinced that with this level of instrument, the Lafferty line will soon be making headlines, and it will become near impossible to get one. Wow...great job, Dennis (Nancy)......really. The music world is about to be very grateful for this terrific offering.

Anyone looking into one of these mandolins will know immediately what I am talking about, and be very very happy that they did.

Don Kamens, MD

Honestly I can't see how they can make quality carved mandolins in the US. I am guessing the parts are made in China and assembled/finished here in the US.

With CNC doing the base removal of material making the final effort much less involved, I can easily see how it could be done. Having a machine do what a machine does best and having a human craftsman do what they do best if paired correctly could be a very cost efficient model for any shore. The key is the craftsman and how far the machine is utilized to reduce unnecessary tasks that simply need to be achieved and do not reflect on subjective attributes that impact the quality of the eventual product.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoteacher View Post
    Honestly I can't see how they can make quality carved mandolins in the US. I am guessing the parts are made in China and assembled/finished here in the US.
    I addressed this issue in earlier post that these instruments are made in USA - not assembled in USA from parts made in China. When we introduce a made in China Lafferty, we'll say that's what it is. I don't think that being a teacher at a small music store where Savanna is the best mandolin brand they sell qualifies you to question the integrity of the largest mandolin dealer in the world. Last year we were the number 1 mandolin dealer for Gibson, Weber, Collings, Eastman, and Breedlove. This is not by accident, we work hard for our customers. While we may not be prefect we strive to be and do our best to treat our customers like they live next door. If everyone on the internet interacted this way, it would be a better place. It's not likely people would be so likely to insult their neighbor as they know he could knock on their door and express his displeasure in person
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

15. The following members say thank you to The Mandolin Store for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
    With CNC doing the base removal of material making the final effort much less involved, I can easily see how it could be done. Having a machine do what a machine does best and having a human craftsman do what they do best if paired correctly could be a very cost efficient model for any shore. The key is the craftsman and how far the machine is utilized to reduce unnecessary tasks that simply need to be achieved and do not reflect on subjective attributes that impact the quality of the eventual product.
    Kip...
    What do you think Collings does?

What do you think Collings does?
    Mike... I was pointing out to mandoteacher that built in the USA was not so insurmountable. This was specific to the Made in USA reference by the Mandolin Store for The Lafferty. I wasn't suggesting anyone was or wasn't but was only pointing out that manufacturing methodologies exist that make that entirely possible within the USA at the price point they are selling these. Obviously, because The Mandolin Store and it's suppliers have proven just that.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

We've been doing it every day for fifteen years. And as Dennis pointed out, so are a lot of other good folks. There are great Made in the USA (entirely) mandolins available at a wide variety of price points. Affordable does not have to mean Made in China.

There is nothing second rate about The Lafferty line of mandolins? They are absolutely first-class all the way. As near as I can tell, the only thing that is not hand made is the tailpiece and tuners? Workmanship is flawless, materials first rate, the sound is outstanding top to bottom; perfectly balanced and loud enough to survive any jam setting? And of course when you buy one, you have the added bonus of dealing with Dennis and the Staff at The Mandolin Store. If you are looking to upgrade your mandolin, check out The Lafferty, while you still can; they will become more difficult to find and keep up with the demand? I already have mine, as you know?
    Thanks for your support?

There's no doubt in my mind where the Lafferty I was playing was made.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    I don't think that being a teacher at a small music store where Savanna is the best mandolin brand they sell qualifies you to question the integrity of the largest mandolin dealer in the world.
    I wasn't questioning your integrity, Dennis. I read the original post and commented. I hadn't read your response about the history of the line before I commented.

I still don't see how it can be done, but as you point out, I'm just a teacher and don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    I addressed this issue in earlier post that these instruments are made in USA - not assembled in USA from parts made in China. When we introduce a made in China Lafferty, we'll say that's what it is. I don't think that being a teacher at a small music store where Savanna is the best mandolin brand they sell qualifies you to question the integrity of the largest mandolin dealer in the world. Last year we were the number 1 mandolin dealer for Gibson, Weber, Collings, Eastman, and Breedlove. This is not by accident, we work hard for our customers. While we may not be prefect we strive to be and do our best to treat our customers like they live next door. If everyone on the internet interacted this way, it would be a better place. It's not likely people would be so likely to insult their neighbor as they know he could knock on their door and express his displeasure in person
    I don't see how insulting me gets your point across, Dennis. I don't know you and I don't know anything about your business.

I don't see how insulting me gets your point across, Dennis. I don't know you and I don't know anything about your business.
    MT,
    Exactly why your comment elicited the response from Dennis as it did. There is a tremendous investment in launching a brand as they are doing. It is one thing to do so in a market where there is little competition, however when you are attempting to launch into a market place where competition is strong to begin with and then attempt to do that with a high quality product; then distinguishing elements become critical to the success of the brand.

To suggest that the brand is less than the proprietor suggests it is; impinges the integrity of the brand. So you see, your comment was in fact an attack on the brand, even if you meant no harm by it.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

Blog Entries

I still don't see how it can be done
    Collings and Weber make mandolins for slightly more than the Lafferty.

Breedlove made a f-hole A style USA made mandolin for years for $1k, only within the last month have prices gone up.

Sonny Morris makes and sells mandolins in Oregon for under $1k and I'm sure there are a number of other individual makers who are priced in the Lafferty range. All completely US made.

I guess I don't see why this couldn't be done, especially in today's world of CNC where parts can be roughed out to leave only the final handwork, saving many hours yet giving a reliable and remarkable product.

I don't know if Weber/Sound to Earth uses a CNC, but I'm pretty sure Collings does - and their mandolins command a much higher price than all handmade imports and have no problem selling.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Always learning something Mo Soar's Avatar

I keep waiting for the Lafferty octaves to come in so someone can buy one and then tell me what they think - my price point for an octave is $1,000 or less (preferably used, depending on which octave and what condition), so it's close...

Besides, after I win the drawing, then I could have a matched set!

I make it a policy not to comment on controversial threads because I don't like getting involved in arguments but every rule has an exception (therefore that rule must also have an exception, 'the exception to the rule that every rule has an exception is sod's law.. (let me know if sod's law doesn't translate into American))..

Here goes... I am not just referring to this thread or any particular poster but it sometimes occurs to me that some folks are inclined to make statements about subjects where their knowledge is insufficient to justify the point made. It would take a great knowledge of many different fields, manufacturing costs, labour costs and regulation, finance costs, rent, insurance, fuel and many others to work out the costs of manufacturing anything. I think some folks think running a business is is a straightforward matter.. Its not, after 37 years in many different kinds of small business I only feel remotely competent in areas where I have years of experience.

Of course its always good to hear other's views. I have followed suggestions from those with no experience, they can have a fresh view and spot things that the experienced (jaundiced?) eye doesn't see..
    Last edited by trevor; Jan-30-2012 at 3:29pm.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.