Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Lafferty - Mandolin Store house brand

Default Re: The Lafferty - Mandolin Store house brand

Hey Dennis!

Thank you for all you have done, are doing and will do in the future for the mando community. It's just great. Seriously.

And as a wise man once said, "Haters are gonna hate". Wise, wise words to remember.

You go boyeeeee!! And I want that raffle mando!!
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Blog Entries

I think the name Lafferty is pretty cool, musical connection or not. The Lafferty Mandolin. I like it. It works. Its nice there is both a musical connection and a family connection, but the name is cool just on its own.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Aside from the fact that the name contains the word "laff" (marketing alert), there is this weird idea of calling it "The Lafferty". It's a quaint pretension from a bygone era. "The Loar" remains the most ridiculous name ever. "The Gibson" was intended to announce a standard bearer, an instrument of reference, the top of its field. Using "The" for a budget, entry-level instrument is absurd. The only thing I didn't like about my '89 Flatiron was the "The". Just my opinion, no offense intended. Never heard a bad word about Dennis or his staff, so I think of them as good guys and wish them well. I just don't like the name.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Aside from the fact that the name contains the word "laff" (marketing alert), there is this weird idea of calling it "The Lafferty". It's a quaint pretension from a bygone era. "The Loar" remains the most ridiculous name ever. "The Gibson" was intended to announce a standard bearer, an instrument of reference, the top of its field. Using "The" for a budget, entry-level instrument is absurd. The only thing I didn't like about my '89 Flatiron was the "The". Just my opinion, no offense intended. Never heard a bad word about Dennis or his staff, so I think of them as good guys and wish them well. I just don't like the name.
    The Loar is the silliest name ever? Not hardly. I say it's notable jazz pianist Dick Hymen. That's rough. In comparison, I think he wins. Or maybe using the name Nova for a car sold in Mexico.

Well Dennis. I guess that seals it. You'll have to change the name to something less delirious. Speaking of silly names...........
    Last edited by dcoventry; Jan-12-2012 at 1:10am. Reason: Needed more crazy
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Registered User Bob Scrutchfield's Avatar

From everything I have seen and heard so far 'The Lafferty' mandolins are, and will continue to be, very fine instuments.

Personally, I really like the connection Dennis has made with his musical ancestors.
    I do think The Lafferty brand name will be standing on it's own for quality, excellence, value, and service. Everyone already realizes that Dennis, Brian, and The Mandolin Store are already known for all those qualities.

IMO, If a product is really great it really doesn't matter what it's name is. (within reason of course). I'm sure there would have been no Marketing Execs that would have came up with Dudenbostel as their first choice for an acoustic instrument brand name. But I head somewhere that Lynn Dudenbostel is quite successful at building and selling his Guitars and Mandolins.

(NFI)
    Rover RM-75 F Style
    Kentucky 380S A Model
    Washburn A Model
    Washburn Bowlback Model 71- circa 1891

" There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. "
    ~ Claude Debussy - Composer

Not that there's anything wrong with prison labor. These aren't my cup of tea, but they look reasonably well-made:

PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Man you should post a warning with a video like that, it's too early for badly played metal guitar. Looks like a BC Rich Warloc knock off and Kerry King he ain't ...
    Never Argue with an Idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry View Post
    The Loar is the silliest name ever? Not hardly. I say it's notable jazz pianist Dick Hymen. That's rough. In comparison, I think he wins. Or maybe using the name Nova for a car sold in Mexico.

Well I have to admit I wasn't thinking beyond the realm of mandolins.

Well Dennis. I guess that seals it. You'll have to change the name to something less delirious. Speaking of silly names...........
    Hey! I'm "delirious" about "mandolins". That strikes me as a rather sensible name around here. Besides when your're stuck with that most ubiquitous of english male names (Mike) it's good to have nickname.

Now that there are a few of the new Lafferty mandolins out on the street; I think it is time for someone to write a review or tell us a little more about them? OK, I'll do it! Yes, I recently purchased a Lafferty basic "A" model mandolin from The Mandolin Store. I've had it for about a week now, so I've run it through my routine fairly well. My first impression was a modest looking mandolin with extremely clean workmanship and excellent fit and finish; and of course, the setup was perfect. Mine has a flat ebony fretboard with 22 modern frets, the bone nut is 1 1/8" wide, Grover tuners with pearl buttons, cast Allen tailpiece, solid well-fitted ebony bridge, MOP script and modified flowerpot inlay on the headstock, nicely figured maple on the neck, back and sides, Sitka spruce top; all the stuff you need to make a really fine mandolin. Now for the best part; the sound and playability. Maybe a bit tight right out of the box, my Lafferty has excellent balance across the board; as good as anything I've played; and loud to boot. The more I play it, the better it sounds. The neck profile is perfect for me; soft "V" and slightly thicker; a real pleasure to play? I also like the fact that there is no fretboard extension to get in my way. Comes with a very nice Superior vintage-look shaped case. Of course Dennis and the staff at The Mandolin Store are always a pleasure to do business with; a great mandolin and a great support staff; what could be better? So, call The Mandolin Store and get your hands on a Lafferty; I know you won't regret it. Thanks.
    Thanks for your support?

The one in the pic for the giveaway is just beautiful. I hope whoever wins it needs a good mandolin and not just another mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The one in the pic for the giveaway is just beautiful. I hope whoever wins it needs a good mandolin and not just another mandolin.
    That's why I entered...starving students can't usually afford higher-grade instruments, and with the way my left-hand muscles are, I'd sorely appreciate a new mando with a v-neck....
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker

Give away???
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoventry
    The Loar is the silliest name ever? Not hardly. I say it's notable jazz pianist Dick Hymen...
    Well, that's Hyman with an A, for what it's worth... But yes, he's had a spectacular career scoring movies, playing jazz festivals around the world, and doing just about everything else—and his name certainly hasn't held him back.

There's a saying in Hollywood: "There's no such thing as bad publicity." Would Lady Gaga be so famous if she were still Stefani Germanotta? Is it any coincidence Kinko's copy stores went nationwide? The Barenaked Ladies got their big break when a town council voted to ban their concert, assuming there'd be something indecent about it—and it made the headlines.

Lots of hugely successful people and products have had stimulating, unusual names. I don't know if Dennis was actually out to create such a stir, but heck, look at all the discussion his new mandos have gotten here because of their unusual name.

The Flatiron Dennis sold me when I visited him last year is the sweetest mandolin I've ever had. He gave it to me at a very reasonable price. He and his family also spent a couple of HOURS with me, jamming, talking instruments and music, and later treating me to dinner (!). They didn't have to do all that, as they'd already made the sale. They are decent, real folks, and I wish them only the best with their new venture.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"The Dennis" would be perfect for me, since that's my name! Can you imagine my friends' faces when they see "The Dennis" on the headstock? :D

Hey! I'm "delirious" about "mandolins". That strikes me as a rather sensible name around here. Besides when your're stuck with that most ubiquitous of english male names (Mike) it's good to have nickname.
    Hey, Mike, there's a reason that The Mike is a ubiquitous name!
    Sincerely,
    Mike

There's probably several reasons, just like there are usually several Mikes at any given jam these days. Those nicknames can get pretty brutal, at times, even if you give one to yourself.
    Mike Snyder

I would really love to hear one of these mandolins played... a video anyone?
    "Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun."

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
    Give away???
    Kip...
    See Cafe homepage.

Got it about 5 minutes after asking... mmmmmm wanta wanta wanta... (lusting after giveaway mando!)
    Kip....
    Blessings,
    Kip...

Blog Entries

Using "The" for a budget, entry-level instrument is absurd. .
    Hmmm. I never attached much significance to the "the" before. I guess its an ambitious name. But in a new instrument trying to gain a following, ambition is not inappropriate.

I mentioned this to some friends yesterday, and one young woman (15) said, with dreamy eyes, that "The Lafferty" is James Lafferty - an actor on some popular television series. She maintains that James is "The Lafferty" and the mandolin should be called "The Other Lafferty".

Knowing when to say something is much more important than knowing what to say.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I hope whoever wins it needs a good mandolin and not just another mandolin.
    That is an excellent point. I am maybe a little embarassed not to have thought of it myself. I don't want to exclude anyone, or rig the lottery, or have an entrance requirement, but if I have a preference as to a winner, that would be it.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    That is an excellent point. I am maybe a little embarassed not to have thought of it myself. I don't want to exclude anyone, or rig the lottery, or have an entrance requirement, but if I have a preference as to a winner, that would be it.
    I totally agree!! MEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee!

Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

It really doesn't matter who makes it or what its' name is. The only thing of importance is how it plays and sounds. My hat is off to Dennis for bringing in another quality mandolin at an affordable price, that is made in the USA.

Yeah I guess it doesn't really matter who builds The Lafferty Mandolin, but I am thinking Larrivee might be the builder.

More choices in quality mandolins is a good thing! Think I'll have to pay a visit to Surprise, AZ soon. It's closer now that they moved from Wickenberg. BTW, there are no mikes allowed at the jam I go to.

Scott