Thread: John Denver

Default John Denver

Ok maybe this is a strange request. I am looking for some John Denver tab for mandolin. I have found lots of guitar tab for his work online, but no mando tab.

I grew up listening to John and saw him live 4 times. While his music is not my norm, it is engrained in me and I always fall back on his songs in hard times and right now is VERY hard times. I can't/won't bore you with details, let's just say it involves a different John.... Johnny Law... and leave it at that. I guess it could be worse, but..... it still sucks. Anyway, I can't sleep and would love to learn to pick a John Denver song or two to help occupy my racing mind. So if you happen to have/know-where-to-find some John Denver tabs please find it in your heart to share.

"So you speak to me of sadness, and the coming of the winter.
    The fear that is within you now it seems to never end..."
    -John Denver
    "Rhymes and Reasons"

Default Re: John Denver

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I too grew up listening to JD and playing his music on guitar. I can't help you with mando tabs but most of his chord progressions are pretty basic and the melodies could be figured out by ear. Good luck.

No help from here either, on your specific request, but I share with you the experience of having grown up listening to John Denver. He was my first concert in '72 or '73! I even had the look down pat in those days: shaggy hair, granny glasses, puffy down vest, and (of course) my guitar. Coincidentally I've been turning my attention back to him after many, many years of ignoring his influence on me. I'd be inclined to download chords and lyrics and figure out the melodies by ear, but I know that doesn't come as easily for everyone.

Best of luck during these hard times. May John's sweet music remind you of simpler times behind and better times to come.

Thanks guys. I am tabbing a couple of his songs out by ear and it's going pretty well. Maybe I'll post what I come up with when I'm done. Im a relatively new player though so the arrangements are bound to be pretty simple.

Blog Entries

Check out "Late Winter Early Spring" for a mind blowing instrumental description of a mountain stream thawing in a warm spring sun. Sorry to hear about this tough spot. Nothing ever stays the same, hang in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Harmon View Post
    Check out "Late Winter Early Spring" for a mind blowing instrumental description of a mountain stream thawing in a warm spring sun.
    Sweet, sweet, sweet. Thanks for that. I'm on my third listen, and utterly blissed out.

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/john_denver_late_winter.html

Here is a book of JD mandolin for guitar players written by Pete Huttlinger. Pete was John's lead guitar for the last few years of Johns life. http://www.petehuttlinger.com/online.cfm

Hey everyone. Well it's been a few days since I started this thread and I have good news: I have tabbed out 4 John Denver songs!!! Well, actually it's 3 John Denver songs, and 1 song that John covered. The songs are "Aspenglow" (seemed appropriate for the season), "Annie's Song" (my wedding song... sounds great in tremolo), "Fly Away" (minus the Olivia Newton John harmony), and "Today" (a Rand Sparks cover). It's been a fun distraction. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll be happy to share the tabs. Like I said I'm a new player so it's just simple melodies but it sounds nice (well, I think it does anyway! )

Sjf,
    I would greatly appreciate getting the tab for the 4 songs you have plugged out. What is the best means, likely my email addresss at Lisabrandt3@gmail.com Thanks, I was headed out to the store to look for a book with some good easily singable old style songs like this.

Lisa

Hi Lisa. I'm working in it right now. I'll work something up in photoshop or something and get it to you soon (probably tomorrow but maybe later tonight if all goes well).

Wow responded but it didn't post...

I'm with Lisa I'd love to see them too can you post them to the thread?

Was thinking that it would be really really cool to have a converter for guitar tabs to mandolin. There are so many guitar tabs out there.
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.