Thread: I'm a RANK beginner with a problem....

Default I'm a RANK beginner with a problem....

I've gone over a couple of threads in here and need some advice.

Only been playing my Eastman 515 for 2 months and my E and A strings are making only a "twink" noise between the 6th and 11th frets. Now...I'm panicking. I've called a local violin luthier here in Las Vegas (because there isn't much of nothing to do with bluegrass or even good music here in Sin City) and he's taking a look at it today, but some of the more experienced mandolin people on this forum have said mandolin luthiers and violin luthiers are NOT the same. However, my violin luthier also works on guitars so he knows fretted instruments...yay!

I've been considering sending my Bessie (yeah...it's a girl thing to name an instrument, don't ask what I've named my cars) out of state for repairs, but I worry about shipping.

A couple people that I talked to on the phone said that it sounded like a simple bridge adjustment, but said it could be that rod that runs up the neck, or.....a twisted neck.

I just don't know what to do, so I've kept the appointment with the violin guy here in town and just hope that he can help. Anyone else out here in the desert with problems like mine?

I appreciate any advice and help y'all might offer.

Thanks!

Default Re: I'm a RANK beginner with a problem....

It probably only needs a setup. Hopefully your luthier is up for that.

A set up! That sounds awesome!

What does that entail?

http://members.cox.net/lvartteacher/

Thomas Flood is right there in Las Vegas with you and although he has both a day job and concentrates on building his own line of mandolins, he has been known to do repairs. He does know mandolins. You could see if he can help you.

A good set up consists of checking and adjusting, if necessary, the action at the nut, the action at the bridge, the neck relief (by adjusting the truss rod), and the intonation.

Your problem could also be caused by a loose fret end that has popped up. press the ends of your frets carefully with your fingernail and watch for movement.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Thanks both of you for your help! I actually went to Advanced Guitar and talked to Jim Poisson - master luthier. Super nice guy and seemed to know what he was talking about. We'll see what he does for me! I think it was Jim that actually helped Thomas Flood with his equipment to make his mandolins :-). We'll see what he can do for us!