Thread: weltton mandolin

Default weltton mandolin

I have an original weltton flat back mandolin and want to sell it does any one know how much i should sell it for
    the back has a striped pattrern of 2 colours the front has a flower patern around the middle any one know anything

Default Re: weltton mandolin

From some cursory research, "Weltton" appears to be an East German label from the 1950's-60's. The floral inlay or marquetry on the front also is very common for German-made instruments.

If you post some pics the assembled Cafe experts (of which I am not one) may be able to come up with a better guesstimate as to its market value. I would only caution that European mandolins of that vintage -- usually flat-back, round-hole instruments, often with slotted headstocks -- don't generally command high market prices. Yours could be the exception, but the other Weltton instruments discussed on-line, generally banjos, ukuleles and guitars, seem pretty run-of-the-mill.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I should amend my earlier post; the term "European" was inaccurate, since it would include Italian mandolins which can command high market prices, especially from the premier makers. German-made mandolins are the ones to which I was specifically referring, especially the round-hole, flat-back, slotted-headstock variety that show up frequently on auction sites and elsewhere.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Smile Re: weltton mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I should amend my earlier post; the term "European" was inaccurate, since it would include Italian mandolins which can command high market prices, especially from the premier makers. German-made mandolins are the ones to which I was specifically referring, especially the round-hole, flat-back, slotted-headstock variety that show up frequently on auction sites and elsewhere.
    many thanks for your reply it does have a floral paper inlay I was told its only worth 60pound by a chap from a music shop I wasnt sure if he was being honest thats why I posted here to see what other people said it does say original weltton germany on the handle

So you're talking about a hundred bucks in "Yankee dollars." Doesn't surprise me. Recognize that we're "shooting in the dark" here without seeing the instrument, or even pictures, but that's the general price range I would have guessed.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM