Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarod picks (wooden)

Exclamation

I'm pretty happy with "Dawg" picks, so i should have left well alone, but i saw these wooden picks (click) going for what seemed a reasonable price, and i couldn't resist. Has anyone here tried those?

Since was getting hit for shipping anyway, i also got a "mondo" Tortis... i feel bad about spending $20 for a pick, but i guess i had to try it. Sometimes i hate myself.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

OK, they arrived today.

First the Tortis (Mondo): it feels very much like a "Dawg", sounds a little brighter. Other than the satisfaction of playing with a $20 pick, i'd say it's not really worth it (get Dawgs instead).

The Sarods: very nice. Rosewood seems a little brigher than the ebony, but not a whole lot different. The pick stays firm in place, due to indentations for the thumb and index finger. They sound wonderful with my Mid-Mo mandolin. Less bright than a plastic pick, but fuller sound. For the price, i think they're definitely worth a try. I'd prefer them to be less pointy. Maybe one day when i'm feeling confident, i'll file down one of them to see how it works with a rounded point.

g
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

I have tried them before. Pearse used to also make Sarods in "bone" and "horn," maybe they still do. I got one of each of all four. I like the bone one the best and I did try some minor reworking of the point with a diamond file and it reshaped nicely. Now that you brought it up, I dug it out of the drawer and I may start using it again!

They sound interesting, and I've asked for a couple ebony Sarods for Christmas. My silver pick's pretty nice but I want to try some other organic materials (plastic just ain't my thing).

I have a Pearse buffalo horn one that I bought from Elderly.

Positives:
    Looks beautiful (my wife wanted one too when she saw it)
    Feels and hefts nice
    Shape is near ideal for me

Negative:
    Sounds much more plinky than the Ultex that I usually use. I wish I could describe the tone better, it's like honky-tonk piano...

Quote Originally Posted by (jmkatcher @ Nov. 28 2004, 16:19)
    I have a Pearse buffalo horn one that I bought from Elderly.
    [...]
    Negative:
    Sounds much more plinky than the Ultex that I usually use. I wish I could describe the tone better, it's like honky-tonk piano...
    You might want to try one of the wooden ones (maybe ebony); they don't sound plinky (to my ears).
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Quote Originally Posted by (angrymandolinist @ Nov. 28 2004, 15:53)
    They sound interesting, and I've asked for a couple ebony Sarods for Christmas. My silver pick's pretty nice but I want to try some other organic materials (plastic just ain't my thing).
    How can you be angry when you're picking with silver?

Did you buy that or have it special made?
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

It was an anniversary gift from my girlfriend then, wife now. Great tone and volume. They actually have them over at Musician's Friend, gold ones too, but I've heard nothing but bad about the latter.

The silver and gold picks, are they the ones that come on with the chain? I've been looking at those at mf, and have placed them on my wish list.
    73 - KI4REX - Ryan

I don't know if they come with chains, they didn't when I checked a while ago but that may have changed.

I think i found them:
    Golden Touch picks
    The silver one is about the same price as a "Tortis" pick.

What have you heard bad about the gold ones?

g

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

I'm sure it'd be gorgeous as jewelry, but as far as playing it goes, the comments on MF are pretty bad: " it's even sharp at the tip and I cut my finger playing with it," "will cut your strings," " it'll tear up your ax, slip out of your hand, sound so bright that your ears ache." I haven't used it myself, but there isn't a good word in those reviews.

The silver one is a little slippery, but using a firmer grip than with plastic/nylon picks will solve that, and give you a loud, pretty round tone without too much "click-click-click" noise.

Well, Glauber, you've given me one of my best Christmas presents of the year thus far, whether you realize it or not. I ordered some of the rosewood and ebony sarod picks you mentioned and have been most impressed.

I suffered a hand injury a few years ago that left my index finger deformed and most of my right hand rather numb. Needless to say, this has seriously strained my musicality. I've had a great many problems controlling a pick and have been nunplussed as to what to do about it. I've tried all varieties with minimal success. Some I can't control at all, others work well with single strokes but not well with tremolo, or vice versa. The Wolle became my standard for a while, but it was *fiery place* to tremolo consistently. I thought I'd found a good one in the Wegen (and it is indeed a fine pick), but it persisted in rotating almost uncontrollably in my numb fingers. A few plastic ones I've tried allowed more adequate control but produce a very "cheap" sound from my instruments. On a whim, I decided to try the sarod picks.

At last I have a pick that I can control respectably well and produces a wonderful tone! I have to say the rosewood provides a better tone than the ebony, but both are truly wonderful for my crippled hand. They stay in place well due to the carved indentations and make tremolo a breeze. I couldn't have asked for a better present, even though I had to buy it myself Thanks so much for bringing this pick to my attention.

For those who haven't tried them, I do recommend them quite heartily. They may not be for everyone, but there's at least one happy mandolinist that is very pleased with his purchase!
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

How thick are these picks? I was thinking I could put some scrap wood to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by (SJennings @ Dec. 04 2004, 22:23)
    How thick are these picks? #
    At the thickest (just below the tumb indentation), mine looks to be about 3.8 mm. The point tapers from approximately 1.9 mm to 0.5 mm. Hope this helps.
    John Craton

Interesting. Thanks. I wouldn't have guessed that thick.

Decided to try mesquite (from the firewood pile). Cut thin piece on the quarter, then to shape. A little gouge work and sandpaper and a wipe of tung oil later....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mesquite_Pick_2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	5278  

Other side... Can't say I like the tone better than my Clayton .94mm. Also, for $2.95, the ones from the music store linked above are a bargain. Took me a good 20 minutes to make a glorified wood chip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mesquite_Pick.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	5279  

Quote Originally Posted by (Operaguy @ Dec. 04 2004, 22:01)
    Well, Glauber, you've given me one of my best Christmas presents of the year thus far, whether you realize it or not. I ordered some of the rosewood and ebony sarod picks you mentioned and have been most impressed.
    I'm very glad.

I also think the rosewood is better. I keep wanting the ebony to be better, because it looks so cool, but i always go back to the rosewood. I think i'll buy a few extra rosewoods. Since i found these picks, i haven't played anything else. I try all of my picks from time to time, to see if there's someting i'm missing, but i just love the sound of the wood on the strings.

SJennings, i'd love to try other kinds of wood too, but i don't have the equipment to make them. I think you'd have better result with very hard woods, like different kinds of rosewoods, blackwood or ironwood.

These picks are cheap because they come from India.

I'm curious to see how long they'll last until the strings eat them up. Maybe a long time, i don't know.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Quote Originally Posted by (glauber @ Dec. 05 2004, 07:43)
    SJennings, i'd love to try other kinds of wood too, but i don't have the equipment to make them. I think you'd have better result with very hard woods, like different kinds of rosewoods, blackwood or ironwood.
    SJennings, I wonder how teakwood would sound. Should last forever. I also remember reading somewhere that early mandolin picks were made of cherry. Anyone tried these?

John Craton

Well, I'm more awake than I was last night. That pick is oak. Guess I had a little oak left in the woodpile. Mesquite often has lighter, yellowish wood layers along with the predominent reddish wood. I just assumed last night that I'd cut into one of the light spots. I might make one from mesquite (very hard wood) or ebony if I get bored again. Seems like a lot less trouble to just order one though!

Quote Originally Posted by (angrymandolinist @ Nov. 28 2004, 15:53)
    Speaking of silver picks, i thought these looked cool (i've no idea if they're good or not):

Mojo Picks
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:

Quote Originally Posted by (angrymandolinist @ Nov. 29 2004, 10:31)
    I don't know if they come with chains, they didn't when I checked a while ago but that may have changed.
    Trust me, if you got it from your wife, it came with chains.
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

geesh, we women sure get a bad name.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by (J. Mark Lane @ Dec. 06 2004, 21:35)
    Quote Originally Posted by (angrymandolinist @ Nov. 29 2004, 10:31)
    Trust me, if you got it from your wife, it came with chains.
    Kinky!
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD: