Thread: Ellis Mandolins

Default Ellis Mandolins

Tom Ellis was kind enough to let me play one of his F5 mandolins at IBMA for "as long as you want." Now, you have to be careful with offers like that because if my husband didn't heavily hint that we were missing Balsam Range, I would have sat there for a few hours. Tom is a gracious and nice guy and his mandolins sound incredible. So if you can find one go play one and you definitely will not regret anything except having to give him back his mandolin. If you have 11k for a mandolin, go for it.
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600
    20+ electric guitars, banjos, bass guitars, and a fiddle

Default Re: Ellis Mandolins

Or for a slightly less price tag pick up a Ellis A model and close your eyes and pretend there is a strap hanger on it...
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

They are hard to walk away from.
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

While at the Ellis booth at IBMA, I played 2 F-5 models and an A model. All three felt like I was playing and listening to my own. I am surprised by the consistency on both tone and feel across the time. Wonderful instruments.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    While at the Ellis booth at IBMA, I played 2 F-5 models and an A model. All three felt like I was playing and listening to my own. I am surprised by the consistency on both tone and feel across the time. Wonderful instruments.
    I wonder if we saw each other at IBMA, too funny.
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600

Of the Ellis batch, the A spoke to me the most.

Roscoe Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I thought the same thing. One in particular sounded and played exactly like mine.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130
    Member of the Bluegrass Regulators
    http://dancrary.com/

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I visited with Mr. Ellis for a half hour or so at IBMA. He is a really nice man and literally handed me every mandolin on the table, including his personal mandolin. We discussed the beautiful woods used in his mandolins...no secrets here....he simply demands the finest material available from his wood sources. You won't find any short cuts in his work, immaculate fit and finish...every detail detailed. From. A tonal perspective, I preferred both of the A models on display (one traditional burst the other a black top). For me the black top A was the strongest mandolin on the table and I don't think Mr. Ellis would have disagreed. It is a monster and is available at Fiddlers Green (NFI). Every mandolin he handed me was set up beautifully, though there was some variations in the neck profiles of the various models he had on display (due to customer's request). His necks do not have a pronounced V shape like my Collings and my Silverangel, but very comfortable.

It was a trill to visit with one of top builders in the business. I had an absolutely great time at IBMA! During my few hours there I saw Sam Bush, Sierra Hull, J.D. Crow, Russell Moore (III Time Out), Allison Krauss, Steeldrivers, Dale Ann Bradley, Will Kimble, Tom Ellis, Dana Borgeois, Mr. Altman. I had the pleasure of performing at the Open Mic area with Emory Lester and the wonderful house band (I sang Sittin Top of the World....giving each member of the house band an opportunity for a break...it was funnnnnn!). Next year, I'm renting a room and staying for a few days...for folks that enjoy Bluegrass and the folks that make our instruments, this is The Event!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

IBMA really is a wonderful event and the best one we have been to besides Red, White, and Bluegrass in Morganton NC.
    Gibson F5G
    Kentucky km-600