Thread: Looking for Bass repair in Santa Fe, NM area

Default Looking for Bass repair in Santa Fe, NM area

I know this isn't about mandolin, but I suspect someone has information that could help. Truly sorry if I'm breaking forum etiquette.

I'll be getting my great grandfather's bass later this week and it needs some work. In particular the seam on the back, bottom is coming apart. Anybody have a good recommendation for a repairman in the Santa Fe or Albuquerque area?

I have no idea of the manufacturer, or the exact year of the instrument. All I know is that it was my great grandfather's, age is probably around 100, and it was restored 25 years ago but hasn't been played in that time.

Thanks much. Here's a picture of it (and my mother).

Default Re: Looking for Bass repair in Santa Fe, NM area

Call Grandma's Music and Sound in ABQ and get to the guitar dept, ask for Michael Olivola he's a terrific bass repair guy or just call down to Robertson's in ABQ, top flight string shop.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Maybe Bill Bussman of Old Wave would do it, but you would have to go to southern N.M. But it is chile season, you know. And he may be able find a way to get it back to Alb. Can't speak for him, but he has some bass experience.

Thanks very much! I spoke to Michael and he will look at it.

Michael's name was also given to my by my mandolin instructor Sharon Gilchrist. I had sent him a mail and hadn't heard back, so I posted this just to make sure I have someone lined up by later this week when the bass rolls into Albuquerque.

Thanks again.
    jgw

Call Craig at CT Violins in Roswell. One of the best around.

Barry
    Never try to teach pigs to dance. It wastes your time and it annoys the pigs.

ca. 1930 Kay A w/ ff holes
    2003 Gibson F9
    A couple of dozen Fiddles

Nice looking bass. Any reputable violin repairperson should be able to work on it; steer clear of guitar repair folks...they usually don't work on the bowed string family. If you don't want the seam to open again, keep it humidified. Older basses (I'm a bassist) will have cracks and seams that will open roughly the same time each year if they get too dry. You can either used a dampit or I'm guessing because of the weather there, an actual room humidifier when it's dry.
    Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer