Thread: Poe Mandolins

Default Poe Mandolins

I'm getting a Poe A model (#39) in for a test drive later this week, and am wondering if others who either own a Poe or have played one could comment on their experience. Everyone seems to agree that Andy makes really beautiful instruments, but I haven't seen too much in prior threads about tone from his instruments. Any thoughts/experiences would be helpful, and, of course, we all want pictures!

Default Re: Poe Mandolins

I have a Poe Scout (not sure he is making these anymore) that is a really, really nice pancake style oval mandolin. Wonderful fit & finish, and an amazing tone for such a little instrument. Andy does nice work.

Punta Gorda, Florida and Indian Harbour Beach,Florida

I commissioned build #32, an F-5, with Andy. From my experience I don't believe you will be disappointed in any aspect of the quality, workmanship, or tone of this mandolin.

Hi there. Andy is a personal friend of mine, and I own Poe #9, my mother owns a later Poe, and my friend owns Poe #2. They have excellent tone and playability. If you go to his website (www.poestrings.com) there should be some sound files of his instruments that I recorded. Also, feel free to listen to some of my mandolin on youtube, just search for "redelffilms" and you'll see some songs. Hope this helps!

Let's see if this works:

some nice playing and some good musical ideas, but you might consider a different pick. the clicking detracts from all the good tone that you're pulling from the mandolin.

After receiving Poe #39 late last week, and playing it until my fingers bled (well, you know what I mean), my thoughts are: Unbelievable craftsmanship, nearly flawless build, excellent wood selection, great tone, and overall a great mandolin. I'm tempted to say a great mandolin for the money, but actually this is just a great mandolin-no qualifiers. I've played and owned a bunch of great mandolins from people like Gilchrist, Kemnitzer, Dudenbostel, and some old F-5's, and this mandolin really holds it's own. Based on a sample of one, Mr. Poe really has it dialed in.

Phil - Your description is MAS- tempting! How about some photos and a video?

Very nice playing indeed! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by blauserk View Post
    Let's see if this works:
    I should have specified - it's your playing that I enjoyed! Thanks again.

Me again.

Lovely playing and sweet tone.

Strings? Pick?
    Malcolm Grundy from Montreal